Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Better quality codecs?

Hi there,

I hoped to see some new codecs added to RC2, unfortunately 16.4 Kbit is still the best quality possible, and i think it can be much better.

Is there any chance to see some better codecs added in upcoming releases ? I hope so...

Greetings,

Remco

yes we will add better codecs in one of the next releases.

Cool

Very good, thanks

Remco

Umm let me rephrase that.
    GSM will probably stay the best quality codec.

What or first goal is for codecs, is to find one that has better quality as the celps, at little more bandwidth costs (like 5 - 8 kbits)

Speex?

Why not put in a codec that eats more bandwith? I know bandwith is scarse with some users, but for those who have it, it would be very nice

some codecs between CELP and GSM would be very nice like you already said...

With the new rc2 its a near perfect voice comm prog.
    But we need cd quality asap near cd is fine by me.. a nice mp3 codec support should be nice. and all that talk about bandwith for us it isnt a problem... let ppl choose there own bandwith and not suffer that the builders of the voice comm cant handle high uploads..
    i am on 8Mbit.. the server is running 100Mbit with only a rtcw server and ts2 so who cares about bandwith yeah we love to exchange songs on voice comm.. and it sounds sucky in ts2 atm. boost the GSM or Celp codec up to 200+ Kbits or idd mp3 support..

a big ts2 rc2 fan!
    Edg3
    Last edited by Edg3; March 11th, 2003 at 03:46 PM.

whyz Guest
    I really don't understand why there isn't an option to get better sound quality!
    At least 32-64kbps. Teamspeak is the only server i know which runs on linux, but i cannot use it because of the quality. The users are annoyed that it sounds so much worse than i.e. battlecom.

Too bad really, as I myself like teamspeak better.

Originally posted by Edg3
    With the new rc2 its a near perfect voice comm prog.
    But we need cd quality asap near cd is fine by me.. a nice mp3 codec support should be nice. and all that talk about bandwith for us it isnt a problem... let ppl choose there own bandwith and not suffer that the builders of the voice comm cant handle high uploads..
    i am on 8Mbit.. the server is running 100Mbit with only a rtcw server and ts2 so who cares about bandwith yeah we love to exchange songs on voice comm.. and it sounds sucky in ts2 atm. boost the GSM or Celp codec up to 200+ Kbits or idd mp3 support..

a big ts2 rc2 fan!
    Edg3
    Hi!

If you want to exchange songs then why don't you use shoutcast or some such? (Streaming MP3) Then you get the near CD quality you are asking for. Ok, it is not realtime communication but still...

//Mikie

Quality - Ventrilo

Honestly, I want to switch to TS 100%.

Unfortunately, my group of guys has become accustomed to Ventrilo. And all I hear from them when I try to get them on the TS Server is "God, the voice sounds horrid compared to Ventrilo". I really, really would rather use TS from an admin standpoint, but the voice quality is killing us . . .

I have the settings on:
    Direct Sound, (To a SB Audigy 2 Audio on both Input and Output)
    Best Sound Quality
    Bandwidth: Unlimited on both ul and d/l
    With the: Speex 25.9 Kbit Codec - which is the best I've found to date.

But the quality. Ugh, it's killing us. I know Ventrilo uses GSM 6.10

HELP! Please get the quality up in the next version, and IMHO, you'll dominate the voice market.

m&m's Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noVus
    Honestly, I want to switch to TS 100%.

Unfortunately, my group of guys has become accustomed to Ventrilo. And all I hear from them when I try to get them on the TS Server is "God, the voice sounds horrid compared to Ventrilo". I really, really would rather use TS from an admin standpoint, but the voice quality is killing us . . .

I have the settings on:
    Direct Sound, (To a SB Audigy 2 Audio on both Input and Output)
    Best Sound Quality
    Bandwidth: Unlimited on both ul and d/l
    With the: Speex 25.9 Kbit Codec - which is the best I've found to date.

But the quality. Ugh, it's killing us. I know Ventrilo uses GSM 6.10

HELP! Please get the quality up in the next version, and IMHO, you'll dominate the voice market.
    try the GSM 14.8 or 16.4 in ts yet ??? there the best codec BY FAR IN TS the speex 25.9 sounds like crap to me "transmits in a crapy freq over speakers" and i have tested the 14.8 & 16.4 against many other codec with a hosting company "for testing" while talking , we switched back and forth to see what is the best sounding and did so for a hole hours worth of switching . even the the host provider "he thought as most do the speex 25.9 was the best" was shocked at his findings after the test !! of the better codec not being any of the speex but the 2 GSM's BY FAR the best codec !!!
    Last edited by m&m's; April 13th, 2005 at 09:25 PM.

the gsm 6.1 22khz-44khz in ventrilo owns and is the only reason why ppl use ventrilo because of the beter quality... in game it beter to hear ppl than all what ts2 got now (noizy sounds)

You guys are either too picky or you have something setup wrong.

I use the Speex 7.2 or 12.x codec and if everyone's setup is properly balanced the sound is pleanty clear enough for gaming.

Hell, it's better than the real life radios used by our armed forces prior to the 90's!

=S=

Lunatic

Well I tested the Speex 25.9 against the GSM 16.4 one day also. I could find no difference in voice quality period, and I use a $120 headset so its not the earphones that are crappy. =\

-LabeL-

Thread Information