Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    CrtxReavr

Why are you trying to argue when your sysem still isnt working ?
    If you cannot get the program to function on your bsd box at its current releaseand you dont wish to install the alpha version of 5 then shut your trap and figure out how to make the program run insted of screaming at people who are making suggestions.

With all the problems you are having its obvious that a clean installation is required, open your eyes and just do it. Its not like its going to kill you to take a fwe hours to back up and do a clean installation. In normal daily use and installation files get corrupted and over written by older files without your knowledege. Typically to keep a server stable and running you should refresh your installation on a monthly basis. Its something you live with if you want to host.

Unhappy I'm not CrtxReavr

I suppose the reason why I'm so aggravated is that TeamSpeak is a fine piece of functional software. Previous versions were self-contained, simple to maintain and had only minor problems with typical poor coding practices such as memory leaks. Thus, it's troubling to see its beautiful simplicity swept away by the introduction of something as superfluous as a SQL server. There is no functional imperative to justify this very poor design decision. There are no large amounts of data that have to be managed, and there are no complex reports that have to be generated from this data. The SQL server doesn't even make things that much easier for the developers.

It has been said by others before me, but let me just repeat that everything you install on your server is a potential security risk. TeamSpeak is not open source, so it takes a leap of faith to install it in the first place. It's a hell of a voice chat server, however, so I chose to live with that. Nonetheless, when arbitrary third-party packages are introduced, which I also have to trust, that is simply too much to ask. I already have a SQL server I trust on my system, but that doesn't matter, since TeamSpeak wants SQLite and no other. I'm given no choice whatsoever.

Basically, the reason for my rants is that I hate to see a good piece of software (albeit not open source) ruined by something completely unnecessary. Yeah, maybe I should start an open source voice chat project, based on the Speex codec and OpenSSL over UDP, you're completely right.

Torben K. Jensen

database locked in query

Killing, I have the same problem. I'm running MySQL on the same machine, maybe there's a conflict?

Nope its nothing to do with mysql or anything like that. Its an issue with the linux compat libraries by the looks. Run it on FreeBSD 5.0 and you'll have no problems.

Hmm, i'm pretty much a linux newbie. I'm running redhat 7.0 - is there anything i can download to try fix it?

Under linux if u are having the same issue try downloading sqlite compiling and installing over the supplied sqlite.so with the new compiled version.

aeroclown, you're an idiot.

FYI to everyone else. . .

I cvsup'ed my early v4.7-STABLE server to a v4.8-RC built from March 16th's RELENG_4 tree and it did fix the problem. It would seem somewhere prior to that, a minor problem with the Linux compatablity was fixed. I've looked at the recent code changes briefly, but I've not seen anything that looks like it would have effected the problem directly.

The RELENG_4 snaphots have built consistantly for 13 days now, so the tree's in pretty good shape. If you have a machine you don't want to risk v5.0 on, the 4.8-RC code seems like it's in really good shape. You can always check on this here:

ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/F...snapshots/i386

-CR

Originally posted by AbbraCadaver
    when you "su root"
    use the command /stand/sysinstall

it brings you back to the installation utility
    from there you can select "precompiled packages" to install...
    it should have (mine did) packages to support database utilities.
    just install them all.

that's the quick and easy solution.
    This has absolutely *ZERO* to do with running a TeamSpeak server.

-CR

Let me clear a few things up here.

If you really think you want the SQLite sources, they're at http://www.sqlite.org But you don't need 'em.

This is what you do need.

FreeBSD v4.8-RC or later.

You need linux_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf file.

You need the linux_base-7.1_2 package/port installed. (cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base && make install clean)

That's it. The included sqlite.so library will that comes in the dist will work just fine.

Enjoy,
    -CR

Re: I'm not CrtxReavr

Originally posted by GreyStork
    I suppose the reason why I'm so aggravated is that TeamSpeak is a fine piece of functional software. Previous versions were self-contained, simple to maintain and had only minor problems with typical poor coding practices such as memory leaks. Thus, it's troubling to see its beautiful simplicity swept away by the introduction of something as superfluous as a SQL server. There is no functional imperative to justify this very poor design decision. There are no large amounts of data that have to be managed, and there are no complex reports that have to be generated from this data. The SQL server doesn't even make things that much easier for the developers.

It has been said by others before me, but let me just repeat that everything you install on your server is a potential security risk. TeamSpeak is not open source, so it takes a leap of faith to install it in the first place. It's a hell of a voice chat server, however, so I chose to live with that. Nonetheless, when arbitrary third-party packages are introduced, which I also have to trust, that is simply too much to ask. I already have a SQL server I trust on my system, but that doesn't matter, since TeamSpeak wants SQLite and no other. I'm given no choice whatsoever.

Basically, the reason for my rants is that I hate to see a good piece of software (albeit not open source) ruined by something completely unnecessary. Yeah, maybe I should start an open source voice chat project, based on the Speex codec and OpenSSL over UDP, you're completely right.

Torben K. Jensen
    Well. . . I mist disagree a bit. . . I have run into problems when my TS user database grew large (~200 accounts) and things went wonky on me. I think the move to a more robust DB is necessary.

As for the security issues. . . yes, a bit of blind faith is needed. . . but you can minimize the risk by running it as a passwordless user with no shell. (run vipw and change the password to an astrisk and the shell to /sbin/nologin).

Cheers,
    -CR

SQL lite is a stepping stone to a general DB interface. This lets people who manage a lot of users integrate TS2 with their existing user DB.

ScratchMonkey,

That was an interesting fact.
    Now we're talking...

But what about hosts who don't need to support 200 users?
    Last edited by GreyStork; March 18th, 2003 at 09:22 PM.

CrtxReavr

Hmmmm . . . thank you i know im an idiot, but im an idiot who is doin more hosting then your are . . . . oops

Tnen you use SQL lite instead of a heavy-duty SQL server!

<sigh> Very well.

Thread Information