Forum

Unhappy static/choppy audio problem

Hi

our guild has recently started renting a new server after the sad demise of teamhost. since the the switch i seem to be experincing some really choppy audio to the point where i just turn TS off as it is relatively useless. i have done a tracert test on the server adress an there is around 20ms hops in between me and the server (think thats good). i usually connect to TS through my laptop an play my game through my PC to trouble shoot i have tried connecting to the dedicated rented server on my laptop and my PC both are experincing the same problem sound appears choppy/distorted/static through both the speakers and my headset.

all the codec settings appear identical to the setup we had on the old server an i appear to be getting this frustrating problem in every channel

can anyone shed some light on this subject please, any info or work rounds would be greatly appreciated

-Tezerh

Windows xp pro SP3
    using TS stand alone from gaming pc
    C-media AC'97 onboard sound
    had problem since migrating to a new rented server
    Last edited by tezerh; June 28th, 2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: left out usefull spec details

right click on yourself and get your connection info. Probably have a high % of packet loss. This can be attributed majority of the time to a wireless internet.

the important part is to determine if the problem is server sided or client sided. and then react in that matter "accordinly".
    well your sound problems are more like client side.
    the fact that it did happen just since you have changed server points on server side.
    1. does others have same problems as you do on that "new" server??

2. try connect on few other TS servers. ask your guildmates/friends to help you with test by assisting hearing talking with you on that different servers. try voice.teamspeak.org as one of those. tell them first what kind of channel they should search for in there.

3. what codec do you use there?

4. be on your server for some time when you experience problems of your description try to keep at them(talking listening and also more importanly to know how long they are ... and check packet loss after as much ago since troubles occur as you can at your "user info" right click)

5. remember that if you share more info whatever its private/confidental/debug etc its better. posting here tracerts with *** last and first IPs wouldnt be bad idea in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    right click on yourself and get your connection info. Probably have a high % of packet loss. This can be attributed majority of the time to a wireless internet.
    ok when my friends come online i will conduct these tests from my pc as it is on a cat5 connection rather than a wireless like my laptop thank you both for your help so far

1. i appear to be the only one effected by this problem

2. cannot everyone in voice.teamspeak.org is idling shocking! however while i idled i checked packets recieved and sent by the server, packets sent over 2hrs was 9.04k, packets recieved from the server was 440 - just by idling this is a rather scary number indeed appear to be suffering packet loss on all servers =\

Attachment 1640

3. codec used in the defualt channel and one i created was speex 16.3 this is the default one we use on our private server GM refuses to change it.

4. latest tracert test is as follows test all tests done are from my main machine which has a cat5 cable running to the router directly which is near my computer

Attachment 1641

5. my router is not setup for any port fowarding

my friends are somewhat technophobes i'll try later to get them to actually SPEAK on TS or otherwise we will just call TS just T ^^

Quote Originally Posted by tezerh View Post
    my friends are somewhat technophobes i'll try later to get them to actually SPEAK on TS or otherwise we will just call TS just T ^^
    lol. That was a good one. Okay, play time for me is over, time to get to work.

2. cannot everyone in voice.teamspeak.org is idling shocking! however while i idled i checked packets recieved and sent by the server, packets sent over 2hrs was 9.04k, packets recieved from the server was 440 - just by idling this is a rather scary number indeed appear to be suffering packet loss on all servers =\
    Although at first look this may seem to be alarming but i believe you are okay. I can slide over to My own connection information and i get the following:

Connect--2D 14:57:17
    Ping: 66ms
    40% packet loss.

Lately the majority of my time has been spent idling on there with occasional use. So i decided to hold my Push to talk button for about 6 or so seconds, checked my stats again and it dropped down to 24.5% packet loss. If i continue sending data it'll continue to drop.

Don't ask me why, how it works, or if i'm a 'unique' case because i can't answer that for you. My point is, that it's not necessarily bad. I will talk about this later in the post.

3. codec used in the defualt channel and one i created was speex 16.3 this is the default one we use on our private server GM refuses to change it.
    This is also okay. Since you guys used this codec from your old server and you ran it okay, then i don't think this is the problem. Since your the only one having problems, the server can handle the load of 16.3 just fine.

4. latest tracert test is as follows test all tests done are from my main machine which has a cat5 cable running to the router directly which is near my computer
    This also looks good.

5. my router is not setup for any port forwarding
    Good. Shouldn't need to.

As i was searching through the forums i found this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Choppiness in audio quality is mostly one of two things:
    a) bad internet connection (packetloss, ping) of the client or the server (if it's the server everybody would break up from time to time though)
    b) Insufficient ressources being allocated to the TS2 Client (e.g. when your system thinks it has better things to do). I don't really think this is happening, but you could try playing with the priorities that you can set in the teamspeak setup (try a higher priority). (a) is a much better bet though.
    a) is a much better bet with your case. The only thing that really changed between your old server and your new server is location and the server itself. Since you are the only one having problems, it's probably location. Try a different server with your buddies and do some talking and have them do some talking. See what the number look like. I imagine the choppiness will go away on other servers. So indeed, you might be losing some packets to and from the newly rented server.

And one last thing, what is this static that you talk of? When does it happen?

i play wow an we use TS for raiding, any one speaking sounds either choppy (broken otherwise useless speech that makes no sense) or static (half choppy half sounding like radio that is not correctly tuned to a station an you can half hear what is being said)

i am begginning to wonder if its my isp that is the problem i know the server we use is hosted in london but tbh i have no clue where my isp is located in the globe let alone the contry, i know how to do tracert tests an what high latency looks like but does my ss look as if there is huge jumps between me and the server?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    Connect--2D 14:57:17
    Ping: 66ms
    40% packet loss.

Lately the majority of my time has been spent idling on there with occasional use. So i decided to hold my Push to talk button for about 6 or so seconds, checked my stats again and it dropped down to 24.5% packet loss. If i continue sending data it'll continue to drop.

Don't ask me why, how it works, or if i'm a 'unique' case because i can't answer that for you. My point is, that it's not necessarily bad. I will talk about this later in the post.
    I will tell you why. Its math.
    now seriously ummm how to explain....
    you are connected to teamspeak server you are iddle and you are sending for example a packet per second(usually). [[You might receive more packets because users are joining and changing channels as far as goes for clan server]] {{lets skip that it is using UDP and related information to that, including fact that lost packets are not resended}}
    now because either connection is bad or its not so many packets some of them lose with bigger possibility {{again lets skip why QoS etc}}.
    packet loss is counted from packets which were transmitted successfuly from total of the packets in percent.
    so so far it was 1 pckt/second.

now you will start talking and that will produce like idk 16 pckts/second{{lets skip why}} and because its more packets in less time and the possibility of "packet lost" for all of them is lower they will change the total ammounts of "all pckts to transmit" and "successfuly transmited" in rapid effect compared to previous.

idk how exactly they calculate it.
    numbers in this example are virtual.

note
    connection timed out.
    - network level timeout during connecting.
    - When too many UDP packets OR no UDP packets in last x seconds was send >> your status is set to disconnected on both ends.

yea sometimes can happen that when you know you lost connection and reconnect on you end, but on server your login didnt expired as disconnected yet, you will get message "already logged in" .....

i am begginning to wonder if its my isp that is the problem i know the server we use is hosted in london but tbh i have no clue where my isp is located in the globe let alone the contry, i know how to do tracert tests an what high latency looks like but does my ss look as if there is huge jumps between me and the server?
    I saw no abnormalities in your results for tracert but i'm not expert.

Also, let me know when you have gone to a different server and tested it with your friends talking to you. Let us know if the problem goes away or if you still have the problem.

Tomas--Thank you.

interesting problem. Without sight of solution possible.

I am in, how do we met on Remote Desktop/support??
    favorited:
    screen TeamViewer / VNC
    audio Skype / TeamSpeak

I usually write this in PM but I starting to doubt that people are even reading them in last days......

oh sorry those messages were actually aimed at me? zero just sent me a random spam message was not sure if your one was a global pm sent to everyone or just me sorry, ugh yeah i guess i could open up my firewall to let teamviewer in for a short time, what is your local time as i write this message in the UK it is currently 22:30 bit too late to be messing around setting this that up today an i am working tommorow but sure we can figure something out, as for audio TS would probally be better for debugging can setup skype if its going horribly badly

NETGEAR DG834G v5
    looks like this router was causing the troubles in way that his DoS protection was protecting the router from both sides internet and intranet.

so when we connected wia TeamViewer and TeamSpeak it was like almost no use and the log in router was full of words DoS from <myIP in LAN> and ports used by TeamSpeak and TeamViewer.....

solution turn of that fag option... (advanced -- WAN setup .... Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection )

big thank you to Thomas and ZeroTKA for helping me debugg this frustrating problem

NETGEAR DG834G v5
    looks like this router was causing the troubles in way that his DoS protection was protecting the router from both sides internet and intranet.

so when we connected wia TeamViewer and TeamSpeak it was like almost no use and the log in router was full of words DoS from <myIP in LAN> and ports used by TeamSpeak and TeamViewer.....

solution turn of that fag option... (advanced -- WAN setup .... Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection )

big thank you to Thomas and ZeroTKA for helping me debugg this frustrating problem

Thank you for posting your solution!

Thread Information