Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post TS3 ban system (outdated)

So my original question is in the Archive now. How do you prevent annoying people to reconnect again, again and again? Is there any advanced feature to lock out the "average user" for sure? I know I can ban the IP and Cliend ID.

ZeroTKA wrote about this issue:

People will always be able to get around bans no matter what you do or how many tools are available to you. Bans are usually permanent for your average user. However, as the users knowledge of PCs increases, the more bans are just a temporary fix.

Luckily, there are other things that you can do to basically isolate a user so in a sense they are banned. You can password the server, remove talking rights, moving rights, texting rights and everything.
    Yes I know that, but let's talk about the average user. If it is possible to ban the Client ID, is it possible to simply restart the client to get a new ID? I've read client doesn't need to be installed. Is the ID connected to the hardware somehow? (I hope so) What if two or more users use the same client? How do you lock out the one and not the other? Or do I have to wait and see?

The ID is generated randomly. And you can make every time a new, second, third,… id.
    You can ban users by ID, IP, IP Range and username. And mix these banflags.
    On TS2, there was only the IP Ban.

I think its a good improvement, but you did not get 100% secure.

If you use the same client on 2 machines, you will have seperate IDs. So if you ban one user by id and ip, the other one with the same ip will not be banned.
    But you can also user the same ID on 2 PCs. For example on you notebook and desktop. So you have the same rights on every machine.

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by EvIN View Post
    The ID is generated randomly. And you can make every time a new, second, third,… id.
    You can ban users by ID, IP, IP Range and username. And mix these banflags.
    On TS2, there was only the IP Ban.

I think its a good improvement, but you did not get 100% secure.

If you use the same client on 2 machines, you will have seperate IDs. So if you ban one user by id and ip, the other one with the same ip will not be banned.
    But you can also user the same ID on 2 PCs. For example on you notebook and desktop. So you have the same rights on every machine.

Greetings
    You wrote: "The ID is generated randomly." My question: "Randomly" means at the first run on a specific computer, right? Or every time starting the client? Or do I mix Client ID with the Token thing? Do you have the ability to manually create more ID's (called Tokens) besides the deafult Cliend ID?

No, every time you create an id it will be created random. It does not depend on your hardware. And you can make a new ID while the client is running and then connect with the new id to the same server.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    No, every time you create an id it will be created random. It does not depend on your hardware. And you can make a new ID while the client is running and then connect with the new id to the same server.
    Thanks. Then only one question is left: What's the point of ban a user only by Client ID? Do I miss something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    So if you ban one user by id and ip, the other one with the same ip will not be banned.
    Then it isn't a very good IP ban. If you ban someone by ID and IP at the same time, it should simply ignore any and all connections from that one address regardless of ID, correct? However, you say that this would not be the case... which worries me.

I do believe Julian just had a small type-o. If you ban someone by ID and IP at the same time, any users from the IP will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    I do believe Julian just had a small type-o. If you ban someone by ID and IP at the same time, any users from the IP will be banned.
    Sorry you are right...

You can add an unlimited number of three different ban rules on your virtual server:

1. Unique ID
    2. IP address
    3. Nickname

The target IP address and nickame can be specified using regular expressions.

So if I ban someone by Unique ID only, he can immediately create another ID and reconnect to my server?

Not a server-side expert, but I know you can use permissions to structure your server such that clients with unique IDs who have not been added to a group by an operator will not have the privileges of your choosing (no talk power, cannot change channels, etc.). There are probably a bunch of other options I'm forgetting.

In other words you can manipulate the permissions of the "default group" to your choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by maggy View Post
    Not a server-side expert, but I know you can use permissions to structure your server such that clients with unique IDs who have not been added to a group by an operator will not have the privileges of your choosing (no talk power, cannot change channels, etc.). There are probably a bunch of other options I'm forgetting.

In other words you can manipulate the permissions of the "default group" to your choosing.
    It's true but in this case you force Admins to manually edit every single user (add to a new group or modify the user itself). Our TS has over 300 users so it's difficult to manage every new users and it's nearly impossibe to negate "talking" or "i_channel_join_power" permissions for new users.

For your question though, the point is that since unique IDs come from the client and are not generated by the server (they apply to all servers the client connects to), the client might be able to manipulate it. So really, banning solely based on unique IDs is not going to be terribly secure to begin with. Even if it's not a technically-minded person, they could just switch to another computer (with a different ID) and come back onto your server to harass you.
    Last edited by maggy; December 16th, 2009 at 02:51 AM.

before release we will add a little feature which even the beta tester dont know about yet, with that, it will not be possible to just do a new unique_id...

for details please wait for the release, we are currently quite busy... :P

Ralf, so dont waste your time in this stupid forum
    3 days left

Thread Information