Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I am really stunned that this feature was removed. It was one of the few reasons we stuck with TS2 when other VOIP applications came along with other features but missed CC. With list of commanders changing each week, you cant be sure all the goofballs will update their player whisper lists to use that. Using a channel whisper is possible, but it was also in TS2. The reason you dont use it in TS2 is the same reason you wouldn't want to use it now. Commanding an army of 80+ people you dont want to have strategy discussions mid battle with everyone just the commanders.

Really if there is no CC, we may as well switch to mumble or something else instead of TS3. If we have to go through an ugly switching time, may as well go with something with positional audio. Without CC, this is useless to us.

I'll go ahead and echo what everyone else has said in support of channel commander functionality. I've promoted TS2 as the de-facto standard for game comms in "milsim" games (OFP, ArmA, and ArmA2) for just over four years now. I've exposed hundreds of thousands of people to the way I like to use it, through articles such as this one for ArmA2 and this one for ArmA1. I have used this system within my own gaming group for those four-something years now, and have been able to watch it work marvelously at keeping a 60-70 player "platoon" communicating in a complex fashion with relative ease. It has given us great flexibility throughout our gaming, and has been extremely responsive to casualties in-game. It is a standard that works well and is simply easy to handle.

I am deeply saddened to see that TS3 has abandoned this. From everything I have read so far about "whisper lists", these simply cannot replace the functionality of TS2's "Channel Commander". I do not know if the LUA scripting or anything else might be able to replicate this functionality, but I can say this simply:

Without channel commander, a community like mine (~170 members in total), which has strongly supported Teamspeak in the past, cannot transition over to Teamspeak 3.

I am now forced to consider other options. The most obvious is to stick to TS2. Apart from that, I have two main avenues to pursue:
    1. Post on the TS3 forums, like this, and make the case for "channel commander", in the hopes that the beta status of TS3 might mean that the devs are open to revisiting that decision and implementing the functionality that quite literally is a deal-breaker for my (and other) communities.

2. Evaluate other VOIP solutions, of which there are several.

I would prefer to do solution #1. I hope that the TS3 devs are open to this functionality being re-added. This brings to mind another piece of software from recent history, where the devs of that decreed to a huge community that - no, "their way" was "the way", and I (and others) were wrong for using their previous software in a specific fashion. I hope that is not the case here. It would be tragic to have four years of TS usage be killed off by the TS devs themselves. I have been looking forward to TS3 for years, and to see it be a non-starter due to the lack of inclusion of the channel commander functionality is... well, disheartening, to put it nicely.

I gotta throw my hat in with the rest of the folks wondering why Channel Commander has gone. Terox has voiced a lot of my own concerns. The lack of CC is why I'm not going to be able to migrate to TS3. Kind of breaks my heart, since I've been looking forward to all the other functionality for years and years now.

Channel Commander functionality trumps all the rest though, as it is possibly the single most useful thing in my gaming community.

I have written a bug report for this issue for the developers [#1321].
    However please keep in mind that crashes and other serious bugs will be addressed first.
    How exactly this feature request is handled by the devs is up to their discretion.
    Thank you for your understanding.

I'll echo the sentiments regarding the loss of channel commander. I've been poking around the client quite a bit now and I haven't been able to see any way of even coming close to replicating the channel commander feature along with the ease of CC.

The way we use it is we have a number of subchannels in a channel family, and we break our entire group down into more manageable chunks (squads) who each take a subchannel of their own. The leadership then toggle their CC flag on, and use "Whisper to channel commanders in channel family" to achieve a command-net level of communications. Only the people who need to hear it will hear it, and you don't have to care who is a leader or where they're leading from. You send it out there and you know that all leaders will receive the message.

If your leader dies and you're next in command, you press a single keycombo to toggle your CC flag on and that's all you need to do to get on the command-net.

Also, there's no rigid organisation. I could play in the first squad three times in a row, then go second squad, third squad, first squad, third squad and second squad in the course of a gaming session. The people who lead squads could stay the same throughout a session, but it could also change each and every mission. But by toggling my CC flag on, TS2 will automatically take care of the communications for me.

We also have two channel families with identical structure, so that we can easily have adversarial missions without having to have two sets of keycombos to switch to the various channels, or having to learn two different communication organisations.

And above all else, this setup allows us to have only two push-to-talk keys in Teamspeak. One for talking inside of our channel, and one for talking on the command (CC) net.

I simply cannot see a way to replicate this smoothly using what TS3 currently offers. Whisperlists require a rigid organisation, unfortunately. Even if you can easily change them on the fly using drag and drop, this still means you have to alt-tab out of the game and keep track of who is leading what from where.

Please, if it is at all possible, bring back the channel commander function, or our community won't be able to make the switch.

Channel Commander needs to be in TS3. As others have already stated, CC functionality cannot be replicated with new whisper lists. Anyone who thinks so does not understand how CC is being used by a number of gaming communities.

Devs, please listen to the community and keep this essential feature.

The only other options are a) gamers stay with TS2 (which won't last forever) or b) gamers go with a different VOIP application (which shall remain nameless and many). TS has been a solid application for years, so I'm hoping the Devs will fix this issue and meet the users' needs.

I've used various VOIP technology for years now. TS2 has been, for the past 2 1/2 years, a constant companion whether ingame or BS'ing it with my teammates. It's one of our most powerful tools and honestly allows us to run things exactly how we want them done and with next to no hassle/tech issues.

Channel Commander is one feature in TS that we simply can't do without. As mentioned by others above, we need CC functionality or a *very close* proxy - without it, most of our style of play goes right out the window. Whisper channels or whatever they're called, in TS3, in the current iteration, won't cut it.

I know we'd all love to move along with technology and keep something that we love using already and have extra functionality and features. This is, frankly, a huge step backwards, as it stands.

I put my vote in for adding CC to TS3.
    Last edited by Solitaire_G; December 20th, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Changed content

Quote Originally Posted by WolfStar76 View Post
    There's an option in the key bindings to allow a hotkey to "whisper to channel commanders".

Effectively, this is designed to allow for a single TS server to have multiple "squads" within one team - and allow the leaders of those teams to communicate amongst each other, while sitting in different channels.

SAMPLE:
    America's Army Channel
    +Squad "A"
    +=Channel Commander "A"
    +=Team "A" 1
    +=Team "A" 2
    +=Team "A" 3
    +Squad "B"
    +=Channel Commander "B"
    +=Team "B" 1
    +=Team "B" 2
    +=Team "B" 3

The Channel Commanders would be able to speak to their teams for minute-by-minute ordering, and would be able to share tactics back and forth using their hotkeys - tactical discussions than can only be heard by players flagged as Channel Commander.

It doesn't see much use, outside of changing your light to red, but it's there for those groups that either like a lot of order and organization.
    TS3 Developers,

Channel Commander is useful. Please allow people to use this feature in TS3.

I also cannot understand why channel commander was removed.

We definately need this feature as it allows quick adaption to the situation at hand.

I think the other posts here have emphasized and justified the need for CC. I just want the devs to realize how much of a demand there is for this feature by throwing in my two cents.

Wow, I came in to ask what happened to Channel Commands and find that I really don't have to. Can someone please put Channel Commands back on TS3?

Thanks

Kern

I am in shock that this feature has been removed and I simply ask that channel commander be added for all of the same reasons that were stated above. It is just too imperative in our operations to be without so until it can be re-introduced into TS3 we will be unable to migrate from TS2.

Please return our beloved Commanders to us

channel commander and keybinds

Hello, Just a note on the situation with channel commander and key binds ..is there going to be a update to re included these as a member of a tournament where both these feautres are used its very integral to our comms system during a match/battle.

thank you .

Yea, how do you import your keybinds and use chann commander?

Have you looked at whisper lists in settings?

You can setup a hotkey to whisper into channel[s] or distinct users. You just drag them (channel or user) in and assign a key and you can have more than one whisper list.

Thread Information