Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Solved Channel Commander?

Been looking at the new TS3 but cant find any version of channel commander, is this coming back, getting improved or has been scraped?

Possibly replaced by Priority Speaker?

(Unsure, best guess)

That was my guess as well, although it feels as though the priority speaker does something...just havent figured it out yet...its the permission system thats toatally got me in a state of shock atm lol

Yep, i'm also interested in this particular feature, which seems to disappear completely. "Priority speaker" just lowers others sound volume, when this person is speaking.

I think Whisper Lists have replaced this, but I am not sure. But they are extremely versitile and quick to setup.

Whisper lists force everyone to update their lists, if some new commander join the team

with about 10 commander there are allways one or two people who are to lazy to update their whisperlists.

channelcommander worked perfectly fine!
    or let us set phantoms/ghosts (like ventrilo) in seperate channels, so every commander can set a whisper-key to that commander-channel.
    Last edited by myRtx; December 20th, 2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by myRtx View Post
    Whisper lists force everyone to update their lists, if some new commander join the team

with about 10 commander there are allways one or two people who are to lazy to update their whisperlists.

channelcommander worked perfectly fine!
    or let us set phantoms/ghosts (like ventrilo) in seperate channels, so every commander can set a whisper-key to that commander-channel.
    Not true when you can add channels to the whisper lists as opposed to just people.
    With the nearly unlimited stack of subchannels this will be ALOT more powerful than CC ever thought of being.

Quote Originally Posted by LuucEarth View Post
    Not true when you can add channels to the whisper lists as opposed to just people.
    With the nearly unlimited stack of subchannels this will be ALOT more powerful than CC ever thought of being.
    no. whispering to a channel-/peoplelist is fine. yes. but what if the list frequently changes?

we are a wow guild and used channel commander to coordinate our raid.
    channel commanders are seperated with their groups in a channels.

but not every raid is the same. channel commander change their roles.

Quote Originally Posted by myRtx View Post
    no. whispering to a channel-/peoplelist is fine. yes. but what if the list frequently changes?

we are a wow guild and used channel commander to coordinate our raid.
    channel commanders are seperated with their groups in a channels.

but not every raid is the same. channel commander change their roles.

Well the wisper lists are drag and drop so very easy to adjust them. If you set up your channels/sub channels properly you should be able to maintain generic whisper lists to the proper channels and have the people in the channels that they need to be.

Your over all commander can then just drag and drop the people he needs to command into his already set up bind for that particular function.
    And your group leaders already have a bind setup to talk to the channel that the raid leader is in, or create one quickly with the drag and drop of 1 person specifically.
    Shouldnt take more than 30 seconds to get the whole raid binds set up.

That's very sad

We are playing arma2 and situation can change drastically in seconds. TS2 allowed to set channel commander in-game and use it without the need to alt-tab and change your whisper list, which is completely impossible and inapplicable in our organization structure and game style.

I doubt, that we will switch to TS3 because of this, only if we will find a way to compensate lack of this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    That's very sad

We are playing arma2 and situation can change drastically in seconds.
    I have to completely agree, I am in the exact same situation. When you have chain of command the team leaders use channel commander, its very important for users to get on channel commander with the press of a button and the rest of the team leaders not having to alt tab to change their lists.

If there is no way my clan can move to team speak 3 without channel commander and whisper lists is not a substitute.

You have so many more options to setting up channels and stuff in TS3 that Channel Commander isnt needed.

I dunno ive been there and done that in TS2 with 500 people on the server spread across 8 armies all with multiple regiments. Channel Commander was HORRIBLE in that situation.

Setting up the channels properly and using whispers was the way to go. However with TS2 it was 20x more complicated to get set up right.

With TS3 with multiple nested channels and drag and drop whispers. I just dont see how Channel Commander is going to be missed.

Then please tell me LuucEarth how i set-up a infrantry platoon structure with squad leaders having private comms to each other and the ability of any other members to take command of a squad the second squad leader is KIA.

The way you are talking about is everytime someone joins the command level of comms all members of the leadership must add that person to the whisper list.

Nested channels, the way I understand them is you speak to the whole channel, so this is piratical either.

You have to think of it in terms of radio frequencies and how a real unit operates.

I'm with Messiah on this, Channel commander is used in TS2 all the time on a lot of ArmA2 TS servers, in coordination with whisper lists..
    I have been running a TS server for over 7 years now and am a strong advocater of it's useage over it's rivals, even though the TS2 version is years older than its rivals

The beauty of channel commander is the simplicity of using a predefined hotkey, triggering the hotkey and then instantly being able to talk to the other "Group Leaders" , without minimising, stopping play, dragging and dropping into whisper boxes constantly.

This functionality is a "MUST" and is probably the most important feature that distinguishes TS2 from mumble and vent.

In Messia's example application "ArmA2", which uses a "real" group structure ingame, be it a fireteam / squad/ vehicle crew. The actual group leader (who will be sitting in a channel with his squad) can dynamically change as the existing group leaders get killed off.
    Players in the squad don't need nor should be able to hear the comms across the command net, Channel commander filters thse transmissions out perfectly

Think of channel commander as being able to pick up the squad radio off the radio operators body and then communicate with higher command.
    This does not require all other radio operators to add them to a receiver/sender list,

If it were possible to set up a hot key that adds/removes you from one of the "Whisper Lists", which you used as channel commander then that would get you halfway there.
    The only problem with this, is if your game allowed two opposing player sides, then you would need seperate whisper (Channel Commander) lists per side

again the "whisper to channel commander in channel family does this perfectly

Ability to talk to channel commanders in same channel family

That is the functionality we need.
    It has to be simplistic
    and it has to be quick.
    In essence, it has to be channel commander.

If you are not an online gamer or the type of game you play does not require this type of functionality (Dynamic Chain of command), then I think you probably won't fully understand the requirement for it's use.

For the sakes of those that do, i feel it is very important that we keep this particular thread very constructive so the TS3 Devs look upon it in such light and hopefully add the functionality fairly soon.

As it stands right now, I feel TS3 will not fulfill the requirements of many online gaming community's until such a functionality is introduced.

If it were possible to setup a hotkey to add yourself to a whisper group and that whisper group were taking the place of channel commanders, then we would be half way there
    However, if your particular game allowed for more than 1 side, then the enemy side would need their own whisper group and somebody who wasn't playing fair, could easily add themselves to this group without you knowing.

Again "Whisper to Channel Commander in Channel family" does this perfectly and adds a level of security too it
    Last edited by Terox; December 21st, 2009 at 01:39 AM.

Exactly Terox,

First and Foremost Thank You TS3 Staff for a fine overall product!

To follow up on Terox and Messiah. Some of you have said for TS3 as a workaround to this missing feature. Just Drag & Drop and use Whisper to the Entire Channel and/or direct to the person.

This requires you to change your Whisper lists mid-game or go against your what your clan long established communication procedures of only communication to the channel commanders in a channel.

In many of our games we have changes in command many times during 1-hour session. I am in large groups were we have 3-hour session and a believe it or not a 10-Hour session *in-game*. And I should add that these different groups I am in are 100+ member groups. Of course not on at the same time but 40 - 60 are through out our game days.

Some points or issues that Channel Commander solved.
    • Many clans and tournaments want to separate Command Chat from the grunts and fireteam members. Some players want to point and shoot and they want to hear footsteps of the enemy around the corner. They want to minimize the amount of Command Chatter. This is why Whisper Keys to channels for Command purposes is not desired. So the fewer on Command Channel the better.
    • Also in my main group, the leaders change with every 1-hour session to begin with and by the end of that same 1-hour session the same list of leaders has changed. And we have Ten or more 1-hour sessions where each session has a different list of leaders. Players do not desire to drag a new pre-session leader list Ten or more times if they do not have too.

That is before the session. Now about during the session...

• Changes in command mid-game due to death (some players use a dead men don't talk in TS rule), or real-life interrupts like dinner time or baby emergencies, which can happen in a 3-hour or 10-hour session. Preset Whisper Keys in TS2 or TS3 to individuals do not desire this.
    • Alt-tabbing takes time especially on slower computers and the action of finding the new person to drag into the whisper list even if it only takes 10-15 seconds is too long when the bullets are flying around.
    • Some computers have technical difficulties when when you alt-tab out to Drag a new Whisper List. This is not desired when your team needs you to cover their back door.

In Summary,

It was easy to teach the 2nd in command players. Just using these preset keybinds and when your Squad Leader dies in game just press this key to activate channel commander and press this key to speak to command.

Doesn't matter where in the Channel Family he is on any given battle day. It is simple to remember. No alt-tabbing during the middle of an ambush or timely coordinated attack waiting for your computer to swap out your game and context switch from your video settings so you can drag a new Whisper setup.

I love the new features of TS3. It was a shock to see a feature we use every day be pulled from next version.

QUESTION to R. Ludwig or TS3 Staff:
    Is there a way to exactly reproduce the Channel Commander feature in TS2 in TS3? If not is it hard to bring back this Channel Commander feature or its equivalent. As it is no doubt it is desired by more than a few communities.
    Last edited by ViperMaul; December 20th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Thread Information