Forum

What does Security level really do?

I'm confused to what the Security Level does. I can keep hitting the button and it keeps going up...
    If I set these people in groups and tie them down to what I want, can I set peoples security level? Can I turn that off?

I would like to change my account from a server admin to a owner account also, so I can do everything and anything and not be demoted by other admins.

In short, the idea of the security level is to stop people from spamming new identities and connecting to your server.

Say you try and ban someone by IP and client ID. Well people can get a new IP and new ID fairly easily. To help prevent this, you can have a security level of a profile. Higher level security numbers cause more time for it to reach it.

If you want to harass someone, and you continually had to spend 15-20 min to upgrade your security level high enough, you're bound to get bored.

Security level? Where the heck is that?

That seems like a very nice feature for buggers.

i still dont get it! anyone?

The idea is if you ban/kick someone from your server they can create a new identity (ban is based on unique ID) that gives them a new unique ID and then they can join your server again. If you raise the security level to say 25, now they have to wait for their security level to go up to 25 before they can get on the server.

The point behind it is that most spammers aren't going to sit and wait for their security level to rise just to come in and get banned again.

**EDIT**
    I wouldn't go beyond about 30 or it'll take a very long time to get that high. I let it run for almost 24 hrs straight and I got to 35.

bugmenot Guest
    Couldn't a dedicated harasser just use multiple IPs and IDs to create a "farm" where he'd have 100 different IDs generating security for a week and then unleash hell on someone using all those identities?

In theory yes, but if you actually BAN them by unique ID and IP they won't be back right away and will most likely move on to someone with less "resistance"

bugmenot Guest
    I guess it would also be resource-costly for the harasser to have 100 different IPs available for a week. Like the principle behind long password where any password can be brute-forced, but most people just don't have the resources to do it.

Thread Information