Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Quality is horrible what am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I have tried all of the codecs available with some clan members trying to find the right one, and on every codec for all of us, not just me, at times peoples voices start to mumble out and go up and down and make robot noises and so on.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with our client or how the server is set up or just teamspeak 3, but we cannot work out how to fix this.

Ours is setup with:

Codec: Speex Wideband (16 kHz)
    Codec Quality: 10

and sounds awesome.

if your hosting this off your PC it will sound CRAP!

i tried it with multiple users and they eat up the bandwith resulting in there audio being diminished and packets lost.

i am now renting a professional TS3 server with 100meg line and everyone sounds fine

10 qaulity, 32khz speex

My clan has a dedicated server on a 100mb line that I am hosting it off of. I am using the codec suggested and it seems to be fine at the moment, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ciarlo View Post
    My clan has a dedicated server on a 100mb line that I am hosting it off of. I am using the codec suggested and it seems to be fine at the moment, fingers crossed.
    woot!

When you start hearing "robotic" voices that means your download bandwidth is being filled to capacity.

I know that my bandwidth is no where near the limits, nor is the servers or anyone else's on vent. It's strange.

It could also be that the other speaker's upload bandwidth is nearing exhaustion as well, or perhaps both. What is going on is that the steam is becoming degraded due to too much traffic.

We experienced the same problem and found it so annoying that we switched back to the ts2 server for the time being.

People would talk normally then the volume would go up or down, the sound become garbled (usually when they first started talking). This happened with every codec and quality setting, even tried continous transmission to no avail.

Other than the sound troubles i'm already in love with ts3

Quote Originally Posted by dacsther View Post
    We experienced the same problem and found it so annoying that we switched back to the ts2 server for the time being.

People would talk normally then the volume would go up or down, the sound become garbled (usually when they first started talking). This happened with every codec and quality setting, even tried continous transmission to no avail.

Other than the sound troubles i'm already in love with ts3
    Yes that's exactly what's happening to us.

It seems to be working fine now, running on 48kHz and codec quality is 10.

Don't know why it was doing what it was but at the moment seems fine.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by ciarlo View Post
    It seems to be working fine now, running on 48kHz and codec quality is 10.

Don't know why it was doing what it was but at the moment seems fine.

Thanks for the help.
    The 48kHz doesn't matter..thats the CELT Mono. The Speex Ultra-wideband at 32kHz is still the better codec.

Edit: I should add Speex is better for voice quality. CELT is more used with sounds/music.
    Last edited by Maniacle; December 20th, 2009 at 03:40 AM.

i got the same problems. some people get the robotic voice.

its strange becouse they can run the same codec fine in ventrilo for example.

also the auto volume function could need some more tuning. i noticed that my mic boost had turned itself of when i installed ts3. sound quality became much better when i turned it on again.

overall i love the new ts3. good joob devs!

forgot to mention that i run my ts3 server on a 100/100 connection dedicated linux box.
    Last edited by z333n; December 20th, 2009 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacle View Post
    The 48kHz doesn't matter..thats the CELT Mono. The Speex Ultra-wideband at 32kHz is still the better codec.

Edit: I should add Speex is better for voice quality. CELT is more used with sounds/music.
    Yes seems your right, although I haven't tried music through TS3 yet, but seems right that we use the 32kHz instead if it sounds the same and uses less bandwidth.

Thanks.

I think I may have the same problem. But I did a net test and did some troubleshooting with some of my clan mates. It doesn't appear to be my bandwith. Teamspeak 2 works just fine. However, when I try to speak on Teamspeak 3 it sounds like someone trying to beatbox horribly. And when I have both ts2 and ts3 running ts2 gets chopping and cuts my voice out.

Thread Information