Forum

Solved Cannot write to config files error during installation.

Following System Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium - 64 bit.

When installing the client I received and error stating that the TS3 client could not write to the configuration files. Any changes that were made would not be saved.

I ran the client as administrator and the problem seems to have solved itself.

Just thought I would pass the info along.

Are you running the client as as an administrator?

I had to right click on the TS3 shortcut icon and select run as admin for it to work properly.

I had to make the folder not read only

I re-installed it in C drive and not in program files and has worked fine now

I have the same problem with the client for Win64. I use Win 7 Professional 64 Bit as OS, and every time I start the TS3-Client there's an error message:

"Teamspeak 3 cannot write to the configuration file. You can useTeamspeak 3, but all settings will be lost!".

I rightclicked the .exe and run it as an administrator, but this doesn't solve the problem. I have the program installed in my C: Drive in the Programs-folder. As far as I can see, I have also wrighting rights and not read only.

@ bloodshot

For which user did you change the rigths?

EDIT:

OK, I found out that I have to rightclick and run as administrator EVERY time I start the cleint. Other the error message with the configuration file occurs. But how can I change the settings so I will have to do this only once?

Ok this is nothing new for most things on Windows Vista all platforms and Windows 7 All Platforms the server has to be running with administrator privilages so heres how to fix it so you dont have to everytime run as administrator ...

right click on the server icon on your desktop and choose properties and then click the Compatibility Tab.

When your in there just place a tick in the bottom box marked "Privilage Level - Run this program as an administrator", then click apply and ok and thats it once you run the server now it will auto admin itself and run just fine.

The OTHER option would be to go to your control panel user accounts, and turn OFF the stupid UAC.

That thing causes so much confusion for people who have no clue how it works.

@ BrokenAvatar

Thanx very much it works!

Running TeamSpeak with administrator privilegies is not the best way to solve problem. It`s unsecure. If you chose to save setting in "x:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\config\" the easiest way — give "users" right to write "x:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\config\"

Right click → properties → security → everyone → edit → full control

Teamspeak error when Starts

File ts3clientui_qt.conf won't be deleted, the file that i need to delete that is causing the
    "Teamspeak 3 cannot write to the configuration file C:/users/Tristan/Appdata/Roaming/TS3Client/ts3clientui_qt.conf
    You can use Teamspeak 3, but all settings will be lost!" : ( I don't understand what to do. When i try to delete that file it asks for admin access, but i am the admin.

Thread wa merged
    Last edited by dante696; August 2nd, 2012 at 08:32 AM.

Uninstall TeamSpeak, then reinstall.
    When you get asked where to store Configuration (After you specified the Location where to install to) Choose Recommended: Save in user own files.
    That should fix it. You should backup / export your ID and copy all the Files (only the Files) inside the config Directory from your current installation to %AppData%\TS3Client once you installed again, before starting the client.

You might be Admin, but it doesn't mean Applications you start are Admin. Enhanced Security in Win Vista and above. Every Application is restricted unless you explicitly started it with Admin Rights. That includes the Windows Explorer (which you cannot run elevated), which is why it asks for Confirmation / Admin Privileges.

Question TeamSpeak 3 Error Win32 help please.

Thread Information