Forum

When i speak my voice is messed up

Hello, i am on teamspeak with some friends of mine, and when i speak it is garbled or robotic according to them. is this a known issue and is there a way to fix it? i use a mac with a built in microphone.

Not sure if this will help but I was poking around in the preferences and you could try disabling the "Automatic voice gain control".

I would guess that its due to the mic picking up feedback from the speakers. Mess around with those settings and see if anything helps.

Actually, if you're using an USB headset that is pretty normal for Macs,
    at least on 10.5.8 and 10.6.2 because of a buggy kernel extension.
    Every once in a while your voice starts to sound strange for others for a few seconds,
    then it gets back to normal for a few minutes until it gets hickups again.
    The only way of having a non messed up voice is using the line-in jack
    with a self powered microphone or using an old kext from 2008.

Btw, this happens in Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, iChat etc.
    Its not TSs fault. Its Apples

I hope Apple will fix this soon. I made a shortcut for "repairing" the robotic sound. But with the Build in Mic or the iPhone Mic connected to my Macbook i have no Problems, so the USB Kext Prob is not yours... or are you using a USB Headset or USB Soundcard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart79 View Post
    Btw, this happens in Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, iChat etc.
    I can't confim this. Both Ventrilo 3.x (with Speex 32bit 10Q) and Skype (TS2 not tested yet) run without any problems with my combination of USB-Headset and iMac (Mac OS X 10.6.2).
    Only at TS3 I've got the same Problems like WW3BT.
    Hope it will be fixed soon, because TS3 now really seems to be better than Ventrilo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I hope Apple will fix this soon. I made a shortcut for "repairing" the robotic sound. But with the Build in Mic or the iPhone Mic connected to my Macbook i have no Problems, so the USB Kext Prob is not yours... or are you using a USB Headset or USB Soundcard?
    This only applies to USB headsets or headsets connected via an USB soundcard. Active microphones connected to the line-in won't produce that sound.

Those problems are also described at Apples support forums
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4408&#10454408

as well in different user forums like this one
    http://www.macuser.de/forum/f13/team...obleme-466792/

and many others if you Google for it.

i have exactly the same crazy problem like WW3BT does. but im using the onboard mic of my MacBook Pro.

and its only in TS3. i opend photobooth and recorded a few seconds.. and the sound quality was fine. So on skype..
    only TS is making problems.. i think its since beta7....dunno.

aaaxxx

Mac microphone problems

MacBookPro, 10.5.8. Team Speak 3. Internal and external microphones produce garbled talk. No USB. Works fine on Teamspeex2. Please help.

for me i got it working again.

i reinstalled beta6 again and then beta8.. and voila: perfect voice.

For the record, I've been using two different USB headsets on a Mac Pro 10.4 through 10.6.2, and never had any garbled audio with any combination of OS and headset. There may be a problem with some USB headsets, but it's not universal.

Another report of the problem

I have just gotten my first headset, a Plantronics Audio 470 USB and I am having the same problem in TeamSpeak 3 with intermittent garbling/distortion. As with others the problem does correct itself after a minute or two. I sure would like to figure out a way to avoid this however, its most annoying to the others who have to listen to it..... Running on a Mac mini with 10.5.8. BTW I have been unable to find an amplified mic to use on the audio-in mini plug, at least at any reasonable price, other than an expen$ive recording type mic.

re bad voice

I run a i mac with os 10.6 and previously used 10.4 and have never had that problem with the in built mic i just put head phones (i must ad these are cheap ones to that i got free with a mp3 player)in to stop feed back and chat away.

I can confirm that if u don't deactivate the auto gain control u can have broken speech as it dose not react fast enough eg u are talking very loud then talk quiet it takes a few secs for it to sort it's self out and u will drop out while it is i find so deactivate it and my friends say its just like i am sitting next to them using the inbuilt mic.

i can chat on i chat and ts2 vent skype aim with no probs and every one hears me loud and clear.

Thread Information