Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    definately ts2 sounds better than 3 (regardless of the setting) for now. the latency of ts3 is of course much much better. anyway the voices sound a bit tinny and there are often chirps.

would it be possible to add G.711 codec to TS3? this one is used for voip telephony and provides excellent quality around 7-9 kb/s which is just at the (upload) edge for games like WoW to work on small bandwidths like 448/96 kBit/s (DSL light in Germany).

PS: i'm not hosting @home. my ts3-server is on a vserver with guaranteed cpu cycles (2GHz) and 100MBit/s connection.
    Last edited by AmrasTaralom; December 20th, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmrasTaralom View Post
    definately ts2 sounds better than 3 (regardless of the setting) for now. the latency of ts3 is of course much much better. anyway the voices sound a bit tinny and there are often chirps.

would it be possible to add G.711 codec to TS3? this one is used for voip telephony and provides excellent quality around 7-9 kb/s which is just at the (upload) edge for games like WoW to work on small bandwidths like 448/96 kBit/s (DSL light in Germany).
    See, again someone posts something that surprises me. On my TS3 server i have no chirps and people don't sound tiny.

I do agree though that more codecs would be nice, but if your having issues with the current codecs, adding others isn't going to solve your issues. Unless it is lower bandwith codecs you require.

Quote Originally Posted by XainGM View Post
    48 KBit downstream and 8 KB upstream

What the hell? Ive seen faster dial up.... FAIL...
    What? You want a 4800Kbit down and 800Kbit up so you can use up all your bandwith talking to yourself?

Most, not all, but most servers have numerous people on them. Increase the bandwith used too much and you'll jack your servers and your voice quality.

Out of curiosity though, which voice server are you currently using and whats the bandwith that it uses?

the g.711 codec was developed for the digital ISDN telephone network established in the 90s (in Germany). it provides excellent quality (at least for speech), uses a minimum of resources (cpu cycles) and requires only ~64 kbit/s (8kb/s) bandwidth. with additional overhead for ip+udp and underlying layers maybe 9 kb/s. since mmos like wow consume only small amounts of bandwith it should be working well with the remaining ~1kb/s upload (i don't think it would work with cs which uses around 4-5 kb/s) . download is no issue since you either won't have 4 - 5 ppl speaking at the same time or you wouldn't understand them anyway

Same problem here.
    I create my own server for test with my guild.
    Some users have a voice look like with a very low bandwich, no matter the codec i select for the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by CobraPL View Post
    CELT codec fail here completely. Voice of some people is completely distorted and I can't understand anything they say.

TS3 voice quality, for Speex, regardless of settings, is lower than in TS2. Since voice quality is most important factor, I think that TS2 is better so far for averange user. I hope that sound quality realted problems will be corrected until final version. Now we stay with TS2...
    CELT is for playing music or other sounds through your pc.

I use Speex Ultra-Wideband (32 kHz) and its crystal clear.

Sorry Guys, but some of you missed the point.

We are not complaining about soundquality with Spexx32khz an Quality Level 8.

The Point is, even on Spexx8hz with Quality Level 4 people with low bandwith internet connections have problems with ingame latency and broken voice communication.

But these Problems don't appear with ts2.

Hey,

we currently send 50 sound packets per second to achieve best latency, this
    seems to be a problem with not so good connections, so we will add a special
    "high latency" codecs that are the same as the normal codecs, but only send
    10 sound packets per second. This will of course mean more latency, but less
    bandwidth (packet overhead is saved) and hopefully a better service to those users
    with bad internet connections.

Question So when are the Less PPS Codecs inplemented ?

As Peter announced in this post there will be codecs which use less Packets per Second than the current ones. Can you provide us with an estimate please ?

Yes it would be nice to know.

Hopefully we will get them in beta 6

Post [Q] Old Codecs

Hello Teamspeak.com,

I have a question about the old Codecs from Teamspeak2.
    can you add in TS3 the old codecs too, or make a plugin for this?
    I like this more. And i cant understand much from my members.

Sorry for my Eglish but iam a german boy! I hope u can understand this massage!

I think the DEV's will understand perfectly if you write well in German, I think most or all are Germans. But thanks to try writing in English, as we tried other users of other languages so that everyone can understand the questions and answers.

And about your request, I join her, I really like the new TS3, but the codecs cause me many problems, I'd like to have options and functionality of this new TS3, but using codecs of the previous version.

I have a SB X-Fi (PCI) in Windows 7 x64 with 6 GB, many known problems with this sound card with more than 4 GB and that Creative does not solve these problems, now we can only avoid clipping and distortion of sound in games using Modified Drivers created by other users, but with this new TeamSpeak back again the problems with sound voices, the volume also hear very low compared to the other sounds of Windows (Media Player, Games, etc ...) and if I increase the volume Voice of TS3 also increases the clipping and distortion of sound, my only option is lower the volume of other programs and raise the speaker volume... I guess this will be fixed in the final version or earlier.

Greetings and excuse my bad English

Thumbs up

I agree with you two...

I want too the old ts2 codec...

Any idea if it's possible in future beta ?

Thx.

I already requested this here. You are not alone

Thread Information