Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Imprerssions

I've been testing out TeamSpeak 3 beta while using it for general chat with my friends, on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
    I'll just go through things I like and don't like about TS3 in a few nice lists

The yay list:
    -General User interface is much nicer and I expect there will be some very good skins on their way
    -Multiple Servers
    -Better administration eg. Mute (though I haven't quite my head around it yet)
    -Setting Profiles
    -3D sound
    -AFK messages
    -Notification
    -Offline messages
    -Customisable users eg. Avatars and Contacts
    -Loads better Quality in sound
    -Loads better lag (I tested it against TS2 and sometimes people had finished speaking on TS3 by the time I heard it on TS2)
    -Good Icons, such as those for SA and Moderated channel to create easier navigation
    -Good "Drag and Drop" for organising channels
    -Auto Join server on program startup option
    -Master Volume on the easy to use tool bar
    -Easy to use font selection for chat.

The "Meh" response List:
    -Complaints
    -URL list - Seems to include Private Messages
    -Recording - Only used this once in TS2
    -Server Icons in bookmarks
    -Tabs for chat to loose some of the mess, while better than the mess of TS2 there is still a bit of a mess with changing channels jumbled into all the messages.

The List of Stuff I don't like yet but will like/won't mind when I'm used to them:
    -Admin Permissions are slightly annoying to set up just the way you'd want it.
    -Hard to find the sound you want when changing system sounds
    -Token manager and ServerQuery

The list of shame:
    -Manually Subscribing channels, even when I've set it to do this automatically
    -Phonetic names - would be great but hard to get my name and often wouldn't preview it unless I restart TS3 when I was setting it up. (Fixed)
    -Really annoying default voice sounds
    -No more browsing for servers if you've lost the IP
    -Sounds can still talk over each other
    -I can improve my identity security level... wait what? Not sure why I'd want someone improving their own admin but this doesn't seem right...
    -Picture of paper on the chat box looks kinda stupid and I can see it being annoying if I'm reading large amount of text
    -Nothing to make the system sounds different volumes apart from manually editing each individual file
    -Sometimes the border for the left of the "Connected as ..." at the bottom right would disappear
    -No default colours of anything for changing colours in chat and having multiple colours could become very fiddly.
    -Not really many helpful things in the "help menu" yet
    Edit:
    -Windows Button > Tab for Win7 32 doesn't show up TS3 even when its maximised if its set to by hidden on the TaskBar

Hope I haven't made any mistakes and I've enjoyed using TS3 so far and it seems to far exceed Vent though I haven't tested the quality of sound and lag against Vent yet but I have high hopes!

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by TinySlayer; December 21st, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Amazing !

Hi,

I would like to say thank you to all the devellopers of TS3.

I used TS2 with an own host server for near 6 years now for playing, and today, after installing ts3 (server and client) ask few friend to download it, one word : "OMFG !"

All new options are great, 3D sound is absolutly amazing, great voice quality, everything that was missing in ts2 is here.

But (there's always a "but" ) One little thing is missing : We can add a control bar for master volume, but an option which display a little bar that look the same for each person would be way easier "right clic=>change volume=>etc..."
    And a little bit more user friendly server configuration (a bit like TS2 server) would be great (even if I think it's on your dev road map )

Anyway, great job guys, and even with a beta version none of us here could go back on TS2 right now

Thank you one more time everyone !

PS : Sorry for my bad english, it's late

My feedback about TS3

Hey, first I would like to congratulate the Teamspeak team, for making a hell of program. There some things that I didn't like and some they I just loved, well here is my feedback.

Loved:
    The "Talk while muted sound", didn't happen to me very often, but it's really handy, the only thing about it is that the "bip" is not laud enough, should have a volume option, or continuing increasing sound if the user continues talking.
    BBcode, with bbcode I did some really cool things, added some pics to the channels, centered some texts.
    The Upload/Download feature. It's really really really good.
    Sub-Sub-Sub Channels, its great to keeping channel organized.
    The ability to switch nickname without leaving and rejoining the server.
    Voice quality - wow - really, wasn't expecting that.
    Poke option.
    The thing (I don't know what that is called) on the left side of the clock turn on/off while you are speaking/not-speaking, and the URL option.

Hated:
    I got to say this what almost made me get back to TS2, the admin/permission/token system. It's to much complicated, I preferred the old admin system. This is quite hard to understand, at start I didn't even know how the hell was I suppose to log in as a admin, after I figured that out I took another long period of time till I find out how to give admin to another person. It's just too much confusing and different from TS2, which was a pretty good system, right click server admin, done. On TS3 it's unnecessarily confusing. The safety level is also useless...
    I still don't understand why did you add more then 34, come on while you are doing it the CPU usage goes up to like 50%, that's a lot, and who will honestly waste more then 1 day with teamspeak 3 open, taking 50% of the CPU just to improve the security level?
    This is my opinion, and a suggestion, get the old admin/permission system back, it was safe enough. And remove the security level.

Also I got this question the unique ID (if you are a server admin) this means that the admin is stored in that unique ID, right? (Unique ID "x" is admin on server "y")(And unique id for PC)
    So if I get in other computer how will I log in as a admin, on my server?
    Again the old system, of recording admin in server.dbs was much more easier and simply.

My Imprerssions...

Well... understand its in BETA, but my goodness its been in development for what? 5 yrs? And then Alpha testing for how long? And this is the outcome so far?

1 - Permission system so complex ya need to be a rocket scientist to even kinda understand it (and thats if your lucky).

2 - Whats with the so called (tarded) phonetic nickname system? Your competition has a system that ya can type in "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and it will say it and your system ya have to jump through hoops to figure it out with something like "s 1 up 2 e 1 r 1 ca 2 blah blah blah blah <infinity>"????

3 - No option to set channel phonetics????

3 - TTS just up and quits within a few clicks when using Microsoft Anna... which is the only way you can also hear the channel and user phonetics (when they actually do work)

4 - Expanding channels don't work when its checked off and ya login

5 - Banner Gfx window should auto resize

6 - Codecs/Sound quality? Man... questionable if its even on par with competition.

7 - You shut your site down for almost 12 hrs to allow for traffic to subside... didn't anyone have the brains to think ahead that this would have been an issue and setup a seperate site just for downloads, so that support pages could be active from the second of launch?

8 - Why do I keep getting errors now connecting? Is the site being updated now, rather then having it done weeks ago in preparation of todays release? Thats what it seems like anyway....

So far the only thing I am impressed with is the basic gui... other then that... Im big time disappointed and expected much much better for a product that has been in development for so long.

d

Quote Originally Posted by MaXXimus View Post
    Well... understand its in BETA, but my goodness its been in development for what? 5 yrs? And then Alpha testing for how long? And this is the outcome so far?

1 - Permission system so complex ya need to be a rocket scientist to even kinda understand it (and thats if your lucky).
    Its not that difficult, read the documentation on the permission included in the install wizard. Its easy once you have read the docs.

2 - Whats with the so called (tarded) phonetic nickname system? Your competition has a system that ya can type in "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and it will say it and your system ya have to jump through hoops to figure it out with something like "s 1 up 2 e 1 r 1 ca 2 blah blah blah blah <infinity>"????
    I cant get this to work so you might be right here.

3 - No option to set channel phonetics????

3 - TTS just up and quits within a few clicks when using Microsoft Anna... which is the only way you can also hear the channel and user phonetics (when they actually do work)

4 - Expanding channels don't work when its checked off and ya login

5 - Banner Gfx window should auto resize

6 - Codecs/Sound quality? Man... questionable if its even on par with competition.

7 - You shut your site down for almost 12 hrs to allow for traffic to subside... didn't anyone have the brains to think ahead that this would have been an issue and setup a seperate site just for downloads, so that support pages could be active from the second of launch?

Of course they though ahead, They relised there site wasnt goign to cope with the traffic so they shut it down for a day. Sames them spending money they dont have two for the innital rush of people downloing ts3.

8 - Why do I keep getting errors now connecting? Is the site being updated now, rather then having it done weeks ago in preparation of todays release? Thats what it seems like anyway....

So far the only thing I am impressed with is the basic gui... other then that... Im big time disappointed and expected much much better for a product that has been in development for so long.
    I think your being a bit harsh - After all People seam to forget IT IS A BETA.

I think another little useful change would be to manually set the axis postilions on 3d sound by typing in the number for the X Y and Z

hi
    what i mean is that detailed guides for server and client false.The short helps for the first steps but when server and client are running beginn the too explore and then beginn the loosing.my appel make guides that are from writing for pro and guides for noobs.

Help for those who have had/are having problems getting to level 100:

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=46779

apart from all the management stuff that can be dealed with after some learning i found that while the latency is just great the sound quality is not. even on the highest possible settings the voices sound totally different than in ts2 and most of all they sound tinny. there are often chirps while someone is speaking - this was one reason our guild abandoned mumble and stayed with ts2 despite the latency. i hope it can be improved in a way that the voiced sound more like they do in ts2, without chirps.

First It's much better than TS2. You did a brilliant job!
    When i fist heard a squad mate over ts3 i didn't recognize his voice, because the Voice quality improved so much! The voice is crystal clear but now you can hear it when some one has a crappy Microphone..

Windows Button > Tab for Win7 32 doesn't show up TS3 even when its maximised if its set to by hidden on the TaskBar

also phonetic names seem to always play in Beta2

TeamSpeak 3, my thoughts.

Hi all,

Firstly I want to start off by saying this isn't the ramblings of 'just another' clan leader - I work as an Infrastructure Architect and have previously held positions as a software engineer, developer and lead tester - I know what it takes to develop something such as TeamSpeak, and I wish to present my thoughts as someone that knows the industry.

TeamSpeak 2 is a great piece of software. It is dirt simple to configure, has a very logical menu structure, and anyone can use it. It has chosen one thing to do, and it does that well.

Sadly TS3 seems to have gone down a different path. The idea of simplicity went out the window, and the idea of doing one thing well was sacrificed for the desire to turn TS into a multi facetted application, which I don't think it needs to be.

I'm presuming that the server side aspects to TS3 haven't been fully developed, so I won't critique them at this stage, however in terms of Client Side functionality I like the new GUI, and I'm pleased to hear the better voice quality.

In TS2, the permissions model was brilliant - brilliance through simplicity was achieved. It was painfully obvious what everything meant, which meant that one could simply log in and get going.
    Permissions in TS3, however, are abhorrent. Yes, I can connect easily to my server, however I have no idea whether my server is secure because now I have a world of tokens, server query logins, server groups, client permissions, channel groups, and who knows what else.
    The idea of simple permissions is lost, and has been replaced by several tiers of over-engineered permission models.

I think contacts, avatars, buddy lists, file transfers etc. are unnecessary - most people using TS will know the other people in their server, most clans will have their own forums and websites, and so features that are available elsewhere don't need to be included into a VoIP application.

In short, I believe TS3 should take TS2 and improve it. Sadly TS3 is almost like a completely different application. I believe that TS3 is over-engineered and contains features that aren't needed in a VoIP application. My advice: Choose one thing and do it well. - Just like in TS2.

Thanks,
    LB

WOW,

I'm impressed. It was a little confusing at first but after a day of Play everything is running amazingly well.

This is about the first Perfect 10 Beta I've had the pleasure to be a part of.

We have a user whom has always had feedback due to no Headset and TS3 gave him is first day without being kicked or muted by a 3rd person.

Hats Off to having the second Beta in the entire year go well speaking from a gamers point of view...

Thanks Fellas

Xing101

I pretty much agree with everything you have said, except for the file transfer part.

I'm constantly having to log into ftp to upload a file and then having to link people to download the file, and this makes it a lot easier to do.

And yes, I loved the way the settings for TS2 were set out. It was very straight forward and even when I knew hardly anything about the pc, I could work everything out no problem.

Now I don't have a clue what I am doing with the permissions, or server query whatever that is.

Thumbs up Good work TS3 Team

Well done guys, this will be a terrific program once you put it into full release. I am a server owner as well as client and I have found the implementation of TS3 compared to TS2 much easier. The overall changes are a tremendous improvement on TS2. Not having much patience, I found that if I actually took the time to read instructions and manuals the new concepts are quiet easy to understand. The new permission system is excellent and the token system to appoint server administrators is much better than before. Remote access to the server for administration is just great. Keep up the good work, we in the gaming community appreciate this product and thank you for your hard work. For those who are quick to criticise, I suggest you take the time to become familiar with the program and remember that it is still in beta release. It is through our cooperation and help that we will be able to provide helpful feed back to the TS3 team to make it even better.

Thread Information