Forum

Different Sound Problems with Ubuntu 9.10 64 Bit (Gnome + Pulseaudio)

If I use ALSA sound, I have no sound and mic after a while (the time till it happens differs)
    If I use ESD, I have no sound and no mic.
    If I use ESD for sound and ALSA for mic, I have no mic after a while.

Other Programs are working well with sounds at the same time. (e.g. Rhythmbox)

If you need some info about my system you can get them from my sysprofile page or ask me in this thread (I have subscribed it).
    http://www.sysprofile.de/id24954

I've been experiencing similar problems and despite countless experiments, I have not been able to find a way of fixing this without messing with ubuntus "bowels". It appears that pulseaudio is causing the trouble and the only solution, I have figured out so far, is disabling it completely.

Unfortunately this approach has some - if you're lucky only minor - adverse effects. For example the audio applet will stop working (you'll have to adjust your audio settings using alsamixer in a terminal), the sound settings won't open any more and additional applications, which rely on pulseaudio being present, might just stop working as expected or completely.

Disabling Pulseaudio in Ubuntu 9.10 is pretty straighforward:
    Code:
    echo "autospawn = no" > ~/.pulse/client.conf
    pulseaudio -k
    If you want to reenable it:
    Code:
    rm ~/.pulse/client.conf
    pulseaudio -D
    Make sure you're not overwriting any settings you might have made to your user's PA client.conf, using the commands above. I rely on it being empty/non-existent, which it should be on a vanilla karmic.

I use Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' 64bit, which is based on Ubuntu 9.04.
    Don't have any problem using PulseAudio.

Using TeamSpeak v3.0.0-beta7.
    Mic works better in TeamSpeak3 than in gnome-sound-recorder and Mangler (Ventrilo 3).
    No issue with sound: TS3, aMSN, World of Warcraft, Spotify, Youtube - all at the same time with zero issues.

Someone from the Teamspeak team already said, that it is a problem in the fmod libary they're using. they reported it and are waiting for a fix.

Disabling PA is btw. not good if you want to use apps that are relying on it, so that isn't a solution. The problem should be fixed at it's root and not at it's symptoms.

I hope they fix this till final release of TS3, so we don't have to switch to another VoIP solution.

Quote Originally Posted by roul04 View Post
    If I use ALSA sound, I have no sound and mic after a while (the time till it happens differs)
    If I use ESD, I have no sound and no mic.
    If I use ESD for sound and ALSA for mic, I have no mic after a while.

Other Programs are working well with sounds at the same time. (e.g. Rhythmbox)

If you need some info about my system you can get them from my sysprofile page or ask me in this thread (I have subscribed it).
    http://www.sysprofile.de/id24954
    I am in exactly the same situation as you. I recently switched to Ubuntu 9.10 as my main OS, but I had the same problems in Kubuntu 9.04, which also relies on Pulseaudio to a large extent.

Removing Pulseaudio altogether (with something like "apt-get remove pulseaudio") is not an option. In fact it breaks Gnome, so you get no GUI when you log in. Using another desktop environment, such as LXDE, gives you a GUI at least, but then you have no sound.

Also no sound if you temporarily kill the Pulseaudio process.

I tried running the Windows TS3 client under WINE - didn't work. The installer runs, but the window never appears.

Thread Information