Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Improved Security Level - Can no longer connect to server

Howdy, so I was playing around with improving my default profile's security level, and now I can no longer connect to our TS3 server.

The Required Security level on the server is 8. My current security level is 34. I Don't know if this is the problem, but I was improving my security level while connected to the server. I left my client connected to the server over night and woke up ~ 3 hours ago to find the server was refusing connections from clients. I had to restart it to get it to accept connections again. When I went to connect with my level 34 profile, it said I need a security level of 8, and disconnects me.

Of Course, I can't improve my security level either, since it's already at 34. The only way to connect is to create a new profile to connect.

Any suggestions?

Im having the exact same problem.
    I stayed logged into the server over night while my client was increasing the security level.
    I logged out this morning and shut down the server to back up some changes I had made to the file transfer speed cap.
    After bringing the server back up it's asking me to increase my security level, which was at 34 and the server is set up to only require level 25.
    So now I'm trying to get to security level 35 to see if it will clear up the problem of not being able to connect.
    This is my owner account that has full permissions too
    If you find a work around please let me know.
    I'll do the same.

Hrm, I'll try that as well.

*waves to everyone*

Hey look everybody! I broke it!

*Grins mischievously*

EDIT:

Details about my machine.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64
    ... I'll get the rest later.

i dont know the right word for it in english. but i hope u know what i mean .
    ive got a problem with my identity.
    yesterday night after setting up the server i went to bed.
    so while im sleeping i could increase my safty level?! security level ?! what ever.
    today my security level is 34.
    but now i cannot join my server anymore. the failure message is :

The security level is sufficient for this computer is not running.
    please increase your level.

what can i do? wheres the problem? is it a bug?

---------------------------------------------------
    server: win2008 32bit

client: win7 64bit

This problem should be fixed with beta2 client+servers.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

oh yes. youre right. i updated the server but forgot to update the client.

thanks !

I also confirm that updating to the latest beta releases fixes my problem. Thank you!

I'm on beta 9 and it's working fine, however, I'd like to get my security level to about 60 or so, I notice it's CPU intensive but it's only using about 25% of my quad core, any way to bump that up so it uses 100% of the CPU and goes a little faster?

Not for now. Maybe later. There is no need to increase this level, when there is no Server wo requests that.
    Last edited by dante696; January 15th, 2010 at 07:58 AM.

Well, TBH, that would defeat the entire purpose of the security levels. Their to prevent users from making bunches of quick dirty accounts to bypass UID banning. If I want a server where your ban from it really means the loss of the account with out a quick fix, Bumping it up to a high security level and knowing that they will have to spend days, maybe weeks to get that level again is great.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    Not for now. Mabe later. There is no need to increase this level, when there is no Server wo requests that.
    So maybe I am confused, I thought that this was to make the clients accounts more secure. Could you explain EXACTLY what the security level does, how it works and why we should raise it or why it was implemented?

Quote Originally Posted by Schlup View Post
    So maybe I am confused, I thought that this was to make the clients accounts more secure. Could you explain EXACTLY what the security level does, how it works and why we should raise it or why it was implemented?
    Not at all. Security level basically means how long you have put time into "improving" your account. All accounts start out at 0, and as you improve them go up.

From the TS Client:

Quote Originally Posted by TS Virtual Server Manage Window - Security tab
    The required security level determines how long connecting users will have to improve their identity security level before their identity will be considered valid on to connect to this server, essentially reducing the potential for spam and abuse because once banned the abuser needs to invest a lot of time to create a new one.

Each increase in security level will require twice the average computation time on the client side. To give you a ballpark figure the average times to create an identity usually is within the following bounds:

Level 0-23 generated in seconds
    Level 23-29 generated in minutes
    Level 29-34 generated in hours
    Level 35-39 generated in days
    Level 40-43 generated in months
    Level 44++ generated in years.
    So as you can see, it's to prevent someone from spamming your server with a bunch of new accounts. As the required security level increases to join a server, the longer it takes to improve that identity to that level.

Identities use the PKI, or Public Key Infrastructure. In other words, you have two keys. One is your public key. It's used to public identify you and send you information. Your private Key is what decrypts anything sent through the public key. As long as you keep your private key safe (don't share it with anyone) then your identity is as safe as your PC is safe.

Now, how Security level is implemented within an identity, I don't know. I just know that you have spend time to improving it if you want to reduce spammers by bumping up the required security level to connect to your server. For most people, 8 is high enough. However if you want to have a super secure server, you can bump the security level up to 35 or something.

So the bottom line, Security level is for preventing people creating spam Unique ID's to circumvent UID banning. If you really want to ban someone, I would be banning both their UID and their IP.

So if I increase the minimum number on my server will it automatically improve their security level on each client upon connecting or will the users need to go in manually to improve it?

They will get a message box and this box tells them you need an higher security level to join the server. This is to prevent spam if someone was banned from your server, then he needs much longer time to rejoin with new identity.

Ok, so they get this message and then they must go up to Settings>Identitys>Improve security> and let it run?

OR

Upon connecting the next time it will just take longer because the client will automatically generate the improved security level to match the server and then connect?

Here's my problem, some of my users aren't the most advanced and I can't count on them being able to figure out how to improve their security level on their own...

Thread Information