Forum

Individual Client Codec Settings / Help for Low bandwith users

Hi,

i am the only member of our clan who has low bandwith DSL.

Together we tested several codec settings and agreed that everything below Speex 16 kHz Quality 5 or Speex 32 kHz Quality 4 is inacceptable.

Unfortunately these settings still boost my ingame ping from 60 to 400-500ms after 2 or 3 seconds of speaking, so playing isn't possible.

Is there any way to use an individual Codec Setting in my Client only, like Mumble can do e.g.? If not, do you have any idea how i can use less bandwith while speaking? Is there a chance that a TS3 plugin can do that job in the future?

Thanks in advance

its really annoying that u cant use the high quality settings serverside, because some clanmembers got a slow internet connection. would be nice to have an option to set the quality on the client-site, like in mumble :/

also i dont get the high latency. why it is still that high? i mean, youve done a great job with all the features, really! but the main aspect of VoiP-Software is the ability to speak with each other, or is it? TeamSpeak 3 is still last in the list of VoiP programs, related to latency.

i hope this will be "fixed" or improved in feature releases

(i know my english is not that good :P)

ts3 is i nice programm, but just for people with broadband internet.
    ive the problen that the fastest connection here is isdn, so its impossible to use ts3 in games. the traffic of the lowest codec is still too big. and its absolultly awful in quality.

ive tested with my firewall the bandwith of all codecs and there were always (8khz and quallisettings 1 to 16khz and quallisettings 5) a traffic about 5-6 kB/s. up and download. ive tested ts2 with 9,3k speex and the traffic was about ~2 kB/s.

btw. one channel isdn got a maximum bandwith about 7,5Kb/s (and its just a flatrate for one channel available ).

so, my question: is it possible to convert the old codecs to ts3 and lower the traffic for real smallbanduser ?

if not our clan have to switch to another voiceprogramm with better support of low bandwith.
    Last edited by BuRNeR; December 24th, 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Exclamation [MAYDAY]:Individual Client Codec Settings | HELP for Low bandwith users NEEDED!

hi there, i guess u guyz feel sick when only just reading titles like these again and again, cause the prob with low bandwith users was mentioned so often already!! just as sick for me and a lot of low bandwith users outthere having to use a ts3 and a ts2 at the same time for 1,5 years now, cause its just impossible for some people to play on a ts3 server with a low bandwith of their isp, no matter what the settings/codecs are in ts3.

please dont see my post as an offend. i like nearly everything that came with ts3 and our server is running, since the beta is out and i would like to thank you for all your hard work, sweat, time and enthusiasm you guyz put and are still putting in ts3. but....

will there ever be a setting like in ts2 for the client to set his own codec, a plugin, a "fix", other codecs or anything, so that this issue will be solved any day?!?! i have been searching the net and this and a lot of other forums and ppl say, that there will be "something" in the final release. well, i personaly think at this time, that it might be an illusion that we will see this or that, cause if so, how come there isnt anything to test whilst we are still in a beta phase?!?! isnt this the time where one should test things like this?!? why not give "it" or what ever is planned a try before the last long year friendships, that started in ts2 years ago get less and less and finally disappear, just because of a missing codec or setting?!?

can anyone confirm that there will be something like an individual client codec setting like there was in the past @ ts2!?!? of course we dont wanna loose the new features and benefits of ts3, but neither we also dont want to loose our good old friends or keep jumping simultaneously between two teamspeak servers with two differnet versions like bunnies!

thx in advance for any infos, keep up the good work and i hope that there will be something in the near future to solve this problem with low bandwith users on teamspeak 3!!

best regards from a thankfull, but by now, also from a desperate ts3/ts2 combo user

Emm... I am wondering why you cannot set the codec for the channel to be of lower quality instead? That is what I did whenever I had a user in a channel having bandwidth issues.

@ chaostika: Since one year you can also set the codec delay of the channel. With this setting you are able to lower the needed bandwidth to the same value as TS2 with the same or better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by chaostika View Post
    can anyone confirm that there will be something like an individual client codec setting like there was in the past @ ts2!?!?
    I can confirm that TS2, same as TS3, configured the codec only on a channel basis, not on a per client basis.

This thread is no longer applicable, it was made before the "codec latency factor" was introduced which let's you send with less packets per seconds, which was causing trouble for people in December 2009 (at the very beginning of the beta phase). If you still have a problem, make a new thread with a good description.

Thread Information