Forum

Total n00b question

Greetings,

Ok, I am not a Linux fan but with the help of those that are far more knowledgeable, I have managed to put together dedicated server on an old box.

Yay!

Next question. What about all this MySQL stuff? If it is just me an a half dozen friends, what good will it do us? I have simply launched a server straight out of the box. It does what we want it to do (as far as we know).

Enlighten me please but keep it to terminology that Joe Average understands. I am not a computer person in the sense that a knowledgable Linux peron is. I'm not a dummy either but have used M$ driven PC's for 25 years and am wired for them.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lawndart; December 22nd, 2009 at 06:51 PM.

If you are just going to use it for a small group there may be no need at all to use the mysql db option.

The mysql db option allows for perhaps other configuration and also management of the data, you can from my opinion get into the data more easily.

what about remotely admining the server to restart TS?

What if any simple tools are available for me to remotely admin my server? Say I need to restart the server and restart TS (trying to do this via script but not quite there, yet). I have Googled and see lots of people willing to remotely admin my server for me... from India. But, that is not the point.

Maybe this is all way beyond someone with 3 days of Linux experience, maybe not.

Thread Information