Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Very disappointed over TS3 - please improve

What I don't understand is, how can the Teamspeak group spend so many years on developing an application that's worse than their previous?

TS2 was simple and easy to understand, now we have 5 different permission tabs, with values between 1-100 on most parameters, negate options and so on. Not to mention, that you need to manually change the database parameters via serverquery to even get full admin right, even though you were offered a token upon the initial start of the server!

What TS2 needed was a template to create new usergroups, with different permissions, better codecs and an improved UI.

TS3 is a joke as it is now. TS2 featured a very simple, well layed out web-interface, what's up with TS3 and the "serverquery" option? I know a web-interface is scheduled to come, but why on earth this was not 1st priority before releasing the beta?!?!

TS3 is at most and early Alpha release, which should have been released only to a certain scare of people willing to spend ages setting up a simple voice server!

I know this sounds very negative, and I'm sorry for that, but I've waited for years on TS3, only to get VERY disappointed!

Sorry dev team, this is simply not up to your earlier release (TS2) in any shape or form!

It is true that Teamspeak 3 is much more difficult to use both for users and server admins. Teamspeak 2 was easy to use because it didn't have so many features. Anyway I think TS3 can almost do everything with it's basic configuration what TS2 could do - almost.

With this default configuration, you are ready to start your own private server where you and your friends - or the members of your guild/clan - can talk with each other. Anyway if you want to host a public server where anyone can join, request a new room etc, you must spend time with learning the usage of the new permission system.

TS3 is at most and early Alpha release, which should have been released only to a certain scare of people willing to spend ages setting up a simple voice server!
    As I said, setting up a TS3 server with default config isn't so hard. User who doesn't know anything about hosting and hasn't got any idea what is he doing when changing something in the config shouldn't do servers.

That's all what I wanted to say.

Dude, seriously, if you do NOT like TeamSpeak3,
    you should really leave this program alone.
    Just complain becouse you are too noobish to use
    the query connection, is really really bad.
    So if you are NOT able to use the quaryport,
    Leave TS3 alone and get back to your old TS2!
    - Robin

The permission system is pretty daunting but once you take a realistic look at it after the initial shock has worn off, it becomes clearer. Although I have by no means mastered it, I have pretty comfortable setting the permissions up.

Quote Originally Posted by hellshock View Post
    The permission system is pretty daunting but once you take a realistic look at it after the initial shock has worn off, it becomes clearer. Although I have by no means mastered it, I have pretty comfortable setting the permissions up.
    All I want to kno is how to assign a group to have permission to access to a certain channel...once i kno how to do that im good to go!

Hmm I'm not saying I can't figure it out am I? I have no problems using the serverquery, like anything else it requires that you learn the interface.

I have been a systems administrator for 10+ years, so don't judge what I'm capable of or not. What I'm stating above, is that TS3(for now) is worse to administrate and use than TS2 is.

TS3 offers so much more than a voice server, that it seem to have forgotten what it is; a voice server and nothing more.

I would think that people on these forums were able to know the difference between whining and constructive criticism, but obviously you, Robin prove exactly the opposite.

@Hellshock
    I just don't think its made very intuitive. I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks the permission system needs an overhaul?!

In case you hadn't noticed, TS3 also provides a vast array of new voice improvements over the predecessor. Just look at the 3D Sound for example, incredibly fun and also rather useful. Not only that, but the file hosting is also very useful *and* optional.

Regarding your criticism of the administration of the server, I really must disagree. Have you ever tried configuring an MTA, or something like Nagios or Bacula? THAT is unintuitive, overly complex server configuration. What TS3 does is offer extreme flexibility, with naturally added complexity, but the way it does it is very intuitive and you get used to it after a short while and the complexity I speak of then becomes minimal.

Put quite simply, if you can't get your head around TS3's configuration, perhaps you shouldn't be running/administrating a TS3 server. Please don't take this personally - we all have our own perceptions of intuitive, clever and complex.

Initially, I had the same reaction. Tweaking TS3's shiney new permissions system is complicated (I don't understand them 100% myself). Without the web administration that TS2 had, the TCPQuerry port is quite daunting at first. But the more I learn about the new permissions system and Querry. In addition to the more friends I show TS3 to, the more it grows upon me and the user's of TS3 LOVE it so far (they're all Ventrilo users too).

Yes, its new and can be complicated to get going (especially compared to how easy TS2 was).. Remember this product is still in BETA, and activly being developed upon based on our feedback (we've gotten a new server release daily so far). But it still is fairly easy to get a simple server going for your friends to hang out on. You might say its too early to get in our hands, then wait for it to become stable. Betas are about experimenting and giving feedback

Thanks for all the constructive replies, I see that working with it more and more will probably make me love it in the end.

But as previously stated, as a voice server, I still think it's too complicated and time consuming to administrate. This is in direct comparison with TS2. I know it's beta software, and I'm still hoping a good web-interface will make it more simple to manage on a daily basis.

Maybe later with the web administration interface it will be easier. We'll see it later when it's out

I have done the setup on a CentOS 5 Linux VPS and yes getting it setup was a little bit of a pain with the permissions, but as has been said before, once you do it once you get a pretty clear idea on how to do things.

For dopes like me...

What bummed me the most was OS requirements. I had an atiquated Compaq laptop that sipped electricity for years running a TS2 server under Windows 98. Now, it needs more than that little machine can handle and I had to dig an old machine out of mothballs and construct a Linux server (if I had a legit unused copy of WinXP i'd soooo be using it instead of Linux, XP=$ Linux=free, end of story). For dopes like me who dont know jack about Linux, a server is a nighmare to setup.

Thread Information