Forum

Edit Virtual Server - Insufficient client permissions

Hello,

I use Teamspeak Server: 3.0.0 beta3 (Linux) - and Teamspeak Client (3.0.0 beta2 (Linux). If i change the server's name via Telnet serveredit virtualserver_name=Example, it works. If i want to do it via the client (right click + edit virtual server). It doesn't works.

The error msg is: insufficient client permissions (failed on b_virtualserver_modify_ft_settings (9014/0x2336))

Best regards,

The maximum grant power you have as a server admin via the client is 75, but the grant power needed to modify the virtual server name (and other global variables) is 100.

When you telnet using the serverquery login option you have full permissions (grant power 100) and can modify aspects of TS3 that are not editable otherwise via the client - these are usually the global variables found in the Server Admin server group - but there are a few other variables which require a grant power of 100 outside this group.

Take a look at this group from the client side and you'll see that a grant power of 100 is needed. There are just some variables which cannot, and rightfully should not have client side modification capabilities.

Cheers

Thanks for the explanation. I was running into the exact same issue.

One question I had though... If you do not feel that the client should be allowed to set the server name/password why is there even a UI for it? It does not seem very intuitive that this dialog exists, yet it can never be used succesfully because the client permissions are not sufficient.

Well, there are different types of clients - those who have rights (say, registered clan members and admins) and those that should not have rights (casual and infrequent guests) - IMO, there are certain permissions that some clients are not capable of executing with the necessary responsibility.

It seems to me that the designers-that-be felt that all the permissions should have the potential to be accessible from the client-side and then appropriate permission levels set based on need.

I agree with this approach since I always found it tedious to log into my dedicated server just to make global or local variable changes to a channel or client permission.

You are back-pedaling a bit. First you say some things shouldn't be allowed to be set from the client, even when you have sufficient admin privileges, then you say it is convenient to be able to make those changes from the client UI.

This particular issue seems fixed in beta5, btw. It defaults the name/password settings on those to be editable by the System Admin group now.

I was making a distinction between the client (user) vs. client-side UI access to certain commands...

Thread Information