Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

How To Assign a Group to a Channel

Like other voice clients..You can assign certain groups to a particular channel with just a few clicks.

For example.

Clan Leader Group
    Everyone in that group needs to able to have access to the channel Clan Leaders

Thats it please tell me how.

I'm also really interested in this matter,
    but I think that this isn't possible right now.

So in that case we must do that old fashion way and put a psswd on the channels.

I try to explain it.

First of all, my example is based on a standard ts3 installation.
    So guests have a Channel Join Power of 25, Normal users 50 and Server Admins 75.

What we want is a Group which can jump into a specified channel and other groups can't.
    Easy thing. First, we create a Group and give a Channel Join power of 60 (or 51, in any case higher than 50 because 50 means that (by default) normal users could join our Channel too. Now, I gave this group a join power of 60.

Now, basically, we must add users to this Group.
    ATTENTION: Our group only grant a channel join power of 60, not more and not less. That means, that the user will have much lesser permissions than guests have, so you MUST put the user into a second group with basic permissions also.
    Now, we edit the CHANNEL rights and set the NEEDED CHANNEL JOIN POWER to the value we set in Channel join power for the group before. here 60.

So that means that only users with a minimum of 60 Channel join power can join this channel.
    Remember, Server Admins have a default Channel Join Power of 75, so even they can join these Channels without being in the group which grant a Channel join power of 60 (which is ok I think)!

Finished.

For those of you who like HowTo pictures:

http://www3.hrsv.de/ts3howto/AddChannel.jpg

http://www3.hrsv.de/ts3howto/AddGroup.jpg

http://www3.hrsv.de/ts3howto/AddPower.jpg

http://www3.hrsv.de/ts3howto/EditChannelNeededPower.jpg

It's really not that complicated if you once understood the ts3 permission system.

Regards,
    Mquadrat

@Mquadrat
    Unfortunately this way is completely useless as soon as you have more than two groups or two groups you want to separate from each other. With thousands of permissions TS3 is unable realize such a simple scenario like group 1 can join channel 1 (and all sub channels) but not channel 2 and group 2 can join channel 2 (and all sub channels) but not channel 1.

If anybody can proof me wrong my respect to the devs goes from -10 back to -1, lol.

Solving this issue with channel passwords kind of sucks as it is quite annoying to change PWs all 2 or 3 month as too much users know it from somewhere and join at will. And by the way, the PW system doesn't even work atm as you can see here :x

/edit
    If anybody can proof me wrong
    ...well I couldn't help testing the TS3 beta myself and setting up the scenario I described above works but not the way Mquadrat described it. You have to create a Channel Group (_not_ Server Group) with channel join power 75 (for example) and give all other Channel Groups you want to use the same channel join power. Now you create a channel with needed join power 75 (you have to make sure all its sub channels also have a needed join power of 75). And when Operators, Voice and all other channel groups you want to use have this power channel admins can assign them to one of these groups in the root channel. From now they always can join the root channel as well as all of its sub channels (but no other channels on the server when they don't have enough rights for it).
    Last edited by Arzu; December 23rd, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Lol. See. Still not a simple way. Seems like you have to add more permissions so they can access other channels....

Thread Information