Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avatar and Files Feature not working?

I can define a avatar 128x128 4kb and it shows up locally next to my username

but for connected clients it will not show and the message "loading image" never finishes.

A client that wants to define his avatar on my server cant do this. It wont be accepted after selecting the image file. (its in spec of size and filesize.)

Also i have no idea how to do filetransfers. I transfered a file to the server locally by dragging it on the channel name. It shows up in the "Transferred Files window" but thats about it..noone can see it or get it?

I cannot drag a file onto a user or open any form of dialog to transfer a file?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the Avatar and File Sharing is Server Side controlled... so depending upon your host, you may need to contact them about it.

For example, my host is gameservers.com and they will not be enabling these features until later on in the week after they have a chance to see how they are going to do it and there will also be an extra cost for this option which they arent sure how much more $$ they will be charging yet.

<17:28:08> could not open file transfer connection
    <17:29:08> file transfer connection timeout

thats what i get everytime i try to set my own avatar on my own server, im lost myself...

This seems to be related to a file system permission issue with the files directory on the server.

I like the idea of uploading files to a server and everyone on Teamspeak being able to download what they want, and upload what the they want. And yes, you'd need your own FTP server to host the files. But what I dont understand is, why didn't they just allow another option to just send your files directly to whoever you wanted? Like AIM or MSN file transfers for example.

I have an own server and get the same error while setting an avatar image.

This I did:
    I click on "Set avatar" (I have the german version, so it can be different), choose my avatar picture (filesize and filetype ok), my client shows the right image. On the server teamspeak3/files/virtualserver/internal a new file named avatar-idcode gets created with 0 bytes. After a short time the client shows "file transfer connection timeout" and the 0 byte file gets deleted from the server. The client log shows: "ClientUI Info Avatar transfer failed". The server log contains no informations. Other clients just see "image loading" and the TS3 chatpanel shows an avatar loading error message.

Just to test this case I changed the chmod of the files folder to 777, it does not help, same error message appears. In the server rights I choose a max avatar filesize that is more than enough. Ports on server side are open and registered by TS3. This problem has everyone on our server.

Have I missed something?

Server runs on Linux (Debian 5). Client runs on Windows 7.
    Last edited by Stefan1200; December 20th, 2009 at 04:38 AM.

same problem here, can't set avatar or upload file.

after uploading file everything looks right, with transfer complete message. on refresh files were show with 0kb.
    refreshing filebrowser after some minutes shows no files on server

Port 30033 is open(in/out), chmod set to 777 and umask is set to rwx

Server Suse 11.0 32Bit / Client Vista 64Bit

just to make it clear..im talking about my OWN server on my OWN machine so its NO remote issue, i am in full control here.

windows 7 X64
    TS port is forwarded
    Firewall is ok

It seems to be a RIGHTS problem with TS when i try to change specific rights im unable to enter a value
    clicking the entry will set 75 every time everywhere. Very awkward. How do i define AVATAR FILESIZE it exspects
    a value in BYTE but i only can do 75 which is dumb.
    Last edited by GoldenHawk; December 20th, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

did you forward the file transfer port?

which portnum?

Nevertheless the rights manager is very unintuitive, and i cannot enter any values only clickin on the field
    and automatic application of the value 75 happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXXimus View Post
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the Avatar and File Sharing is Server Side controlled... so depending upon your host, you may need to contact them about it.

For example, my host is gameservers.com and they will not be enabling these features until later on in the week after they have a chance to see how they are going to do it and there will also be an extra cost for this option which they arent sure how much more $$ they will be charging yet.
    Hrmmm...That was my first assumptioon too, and I believe you are still right..however that means that the gameservers's moderator whom responded to my ticket regarding the issue was wrong.

"-My ticket:
    1) Please describe your problem:

Hey, We just changed to TS3 and we are very excited about it. We aren't able to transfer files on it which was supposed to be a new Feature. It seems like we can upload but when as the file appears in the file transfer browser for everyone, however when we download we receive a blank 0b sized file. Is this gameservers blocking file transfers, or is it a TS3 beta issue? We really want to send pix over the net and whatnot so hopefully it will work soon. Let me know if there's anything I can do on my side.-JC

-His Reply:
    As far as I have been able to discover that is still an issue with the Beta. We do not stop any file transfers for the servers.

Thanks,
    XXXXX
    gs|Ordinance
    GameServers.com"

also guys if your like me you dont use a 2kb avatar, go into your perissions and change the file size limit its wayyyyyyyyy to small. That could be part of your problem

Quote Originally Posted by karmatized View Post
    also guys if your like me you dont use a 2kb avatar, go into your perissions and change the file size limit its wayyyyyyyyy to small. That could be part of your problem
    Its set here to 51200 and tried to upload a 26.665 Bytes PNG image (100 x 98 px).

However there should be a better error message if something is wrong with the image. A timeout message does not help to see the problem in the image .

I tried uploading a 22kb file (txt document with a serial # in it) and it still timed out.

1. File must be below 300x300x50kb (or whatever you have it set for).
    2. Person can NOT be in the "Guest" account.
    You have to elevate the "permission" in the "Server Group" section (must be Admin to do this).
    A. Go into the "Server Group" section.
    B. Go down to the "Normal" group (under Groups).
    C. Go to and open the "Client" section (Under Permission).
    D. Go to and enable "Max avatar filesize in bytes".
    Change size if needed.
    3. Now time to add your players.
    On the right-hand side, there is the "Client" list.
    Add each person onto that list (this is your "registered users" list).
    You will need their "special ID code/number" (check the logs for these, or when they sign in, you can copy and past it).
    PS... Make SURE they "back-up" their "Identities" (just in case they have to "re-install" TS3), this will make YOUR work easier (you would have to add their NEW "code", and delete their OLD "code").
    PSS... To GoldenHawk in particular, I am assuming you have "Admin Rights". In the "D." section above, you have 3 parts ( "75" under VALUE, "1 Box" under SKIP, "1 Box" under NEGATE, "75" under GRANT ). If you "double-left-click" the "75" under VALUE, it can be changed at that point. *** Putting a 1000 will give you (roughly) 1kb file size (btw.. for Admin people, they get 51200 that is about the 50kb I mentioned at the top).
    Last edited by Avatarus; December 21st, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Thread Information