Forum

Permission System, best i have ever seen

I just want to say thank you to the permission system.

It took my 3 days to figuere out how it works, but now i think i got it, and i must say damn its pretty easy once you figured it out.

The flexibility that comes with the permisson system is AWESOME =)

I agree that it is a harsh learning curve, but once you figured it out its totally easy.

You can use TS3 with the Standard Groups, there is no need to change anything at all if you want to host a simply server for you and your friends.

If you want to make your server "special" then you will have to sit down and take some time to fully understand it. Its the same with every software, isnt it?

Thanks to the DEVS to give us such great possibilites and flexibility!

i totally agree. i love the new permission system!

thanks guys!

we know its like "boooommmm"... actually our idea was that the normal
    user does not need to play around with it, so we still try to find out
    the best "default" values...

BUT if you wanna deal with it and understand it (whats not that hard)
    you see the power behind it.

Yes the permission is powerful, but the chosen names are a bit hm "unlucky" ?
    For example it shouldn't be called Server groups, but User groups instead.
    Or are there servers in those groups ?

And "skip" and "negate" aren't very clear eather, I think better names would be "override all" and "take lowest" or something like that.
    I don't like it when I have to study lots of docus first, before I know how to use the software.

And one core feature of Teamspeak3 should be to be able to relate groups with channels WITHOUT joinpower levels, because this really shouldn't be with hierarchical numbers.

Greetings ~Berni

Agreed.

Took me some time to figure everything out. But then I learned it. It's perfect, totally flexible. I posted something to a guy complaining about the Permission System. If you're not smart enough to understand the Permission system, give Server Admin rights to someone else, because it's the core of TeamSpeak 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Berni View Post
    [...] but the chosen names are a bit hm "unlucky" ?
    For example it shouldn't be called Server groups, but User groups instead.
    Or are there servers in those groups ?
    They are all user groups, but the Server groups are actually "server wide groups" and the channel groups are "channel wide groups".

But I agree, I love the permission system (except for some minor things; for example an additional tier for servergroup-specific channel permissions would be awesome, but you can easily work around nearly all problems with the current system)

It would be great if there was a document that listed each of the permissions and a beefier description of its purpose, as some of the permissions are not quite obvious by their descriptions.

I might actually consider doing that after I'm done with the last 100 lines of English -> Chinese translation, lol (and yaeh, probably going to fail my final XD)

Quote Originally Posted by lucasterra View Post
    If you're not smart enough to understand the Permission system, give Server Admin rights to someone else, because it's the core of TeamSpeak 3.
    Maybe you should consider that for some people, software is not a toy but a tool. I really like to play around with toys - but with tools, I like efficiency to get the job at hand done in the most straightforward manner.

You know, I *can* write myself a little tool that uses server query to do my groups/channels administration, if I have to (I need to be able to conveniently assign channel join permissions to groups - a use case that seemingly was overlooked when designing the permissions system). However, I'd prefer if such use cases would have been taken care of in a way that doesn't require custom programming to make it useable at all (and honestly, doing server administration via the commandline is kind of 1980s ;-) ).

In general, I'd agree that the permissions system of TeamSpeak 3 is pretty cool and powerful. It's just that certain use cases that I would find rather "standard" when it comes to security are unnecessarily complex to implement which makes me not really like the design that much overall (I might get to like it very much if it still gets a couple of tweaks - after all, this is "beta" and there's room for improvement).

However, the apparent unwillingness to add features that make a lot of sense makes me wonder if the "tweaks" I feel the system needs to become "really cool" will be implemented at all. Like: Why does a user need to see a channel he can't join anyways? The ability to hide channels from users currently seems to be not covered by the permissions system (possibly, this could be done via "Retrieve Channel Information" - but even as Server-Admin I can't change the value of that, so I can't test it properly).

Yes, permission thing is somewhat complex, but nice and powerful.
    But for better overview it would be better to hide some features like TS2 did.
    I. e. why do you need Virtual-Server-Rights to be displayed on Channel-Rights-Level?
    On Channel-Scope it would be suffice to "see" only the permissions for Channel and File Transfer, for Channelgroups only Channel-Permissions, Client-Permissions and File Transfer.
    In TS2 when editing rights for Guests or CA you also had only part of the permissions to set.

Another thing is, if you only have limited *_permission_list rights, the permissions you cant view are disabled in the "Permissions" menu of the client.
    When viewing the rights you can (i. e. Channelgroups when being CA) you get an "insufficent client permissions (b_virtualserver_servergroup_permission_list) | insufficent client permissions (b_virtualserver_channel_permission_list)" error or similar.
    Why not hide the tabs of the rights you cant see either, like in the menu?

Thread Information