Forum

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2

    ETA on Final Version?

    Hi Guys,

    I know this probably seems like a really obnoxious question, and has been asked a million times before the open beta was released... but I'm just hoping to get at least a vague idea of how long the beta will last for.

    I understand it'll be out of beta 'when it's done', but are we looking at a beta period that will last weeks, months, or years? Is there a vague time line at least?

    I'm looking at asking our system admin who kindly hosts our TS2 server for free to upgrade to TS3. I'd prefer to wait till the final version so he didn't have to constantly upgrade the beta versions, but at the same time if its many months or a year away I'll probably just bite the bullet and ask him to do it now. Anyone know?

    Cheers,
    Zath

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    germany/berlin
    Posts
    63
    thats a good question

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Österreich
    Posts
    48
    I would say that it is too early to speak of a stable final release whit no security holes and rare crush.
    Perhaps it is better to ask first about new Beta version is more stable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2
    I guess what I'm really after is advice as to what point I should bite the bullet and get the server upgraded, regardless of it's beta status.

    TS2 never really reached a 'final' version from what I've read?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16
    Honestly...the releases are not that bad as of now...Beta 6 has been pretty solid for me thus far. I would say go ahead with the upgrade. However, keep in mind that you will have to rebuild your entire admin list from the ground up. You cannot transfer them over. Just some food for thought.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I guess what I'm really after is advice as to what point I should bite the bullet and get the server upgraded, regardless of it's beta status.

    TS2 never really reached a 'final' version from what I've read?
    Very very few complicated programs ever get to a final version status.
    (Windows 7?) Remember when DOS was up to what version? Then Windows 3.11 - then 95, 2000, XP, Vista, even Mac is OS 10.

    Update now. It is running quite well. You will ALWAYS have updates and upgrades to do. If you want a non-beta, wait three months. If you want severely tested and a slow rate of updates, wait a year. Get the picture?

    Computer programming is a completely random thing. You can't anticipate what problems you will find or holes that other people will find until they are put into work (thus beta) - if you participate and help FIND AND REPORT the holes, they get fixed faster and the whole process goes quicker.


    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterX View Post
    Honestly...the releases are not that bad as of now...Beta 6 has been pretty solid for me thus far. I would say go ahead with the upgrade. However, keep in mind that you will have to rebuild your entire admin list from the ground up. You cannot transfer them over. Just some food for thought.
    He means that nothing from 2 is transferrable to 3.

    I believe that unless something catastrophic comes along, the 3beta stuff should be compatible with the 3 final release candidate version.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I know this probably seems like a really obnoxious question, and has been asked a million times before the open beta was released... but I'm just hoping to get at least a vague idea of how long the beta will last for.

    I understand it'll be out of beta 'when it's done', but are we looking at a beta period that will last weeks, months, or years? Is there a vague time line at least?

    I'm looking at asking our system admin who kindly hosts our TS2 server for free to upgrade to TS3. I'd prefer to wait till the final version so he didn't have to constantly upgrade the beta versions, but at the same time if its many months or a year away I'll probably just bite the bullet and ask him to do it now. Anyone know?

    Cheers,
    Zath

    If you want to serve your admin's convenience, wait three months.

    I *AM* my admin, and I want it going NOW.

    I'm willing to update every three beta revisions or so to get that new functionality.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. release date for final ts3 version
    By hal9000a in forum General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM
  2. SQL changes to the final version
    By RavLau in forum Server Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM
  3. Suggestion for (final version) TS3 sounds
    By AxelFoley007 in forum Suggestions and Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •