Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Restrict Avatar Size?

Hello!

I have no contribution according to this question / this problem found!

My question is:
    Is there a way to change the "Avatar-Size"? I mean the ratios, 300x300px.

I'm the owner of two servers and i wanted to change the ratios of the avatars.

(Second question: A way to make a higher resolution "Host-Banner"?)

Kind regards,
    Beernd
    Last edited by Beernd; December 23rd, 2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Wow

It has been a long time and no one has responded. I was wondering the same thing.

Is there anyway the change the size limit on the avatars? the dimensions anyway?

300x300 is max size and won't be changed for avatar.
    We discussed with alpha testers during alpha about max size and then we decided 300 isn't to much to overload the client infoframe.

There are a lot of different communities out there, and they like having larger avatar sizes, I know a lot of people use team speak 3 maximized as I do.

Wouldn't be much of a big deal to let the avatar dimensions be specifiable in the server info database.

I agree with that, although late respond (bump). There should be a var in the groups to set the max file dimensions. This way the admins can control how large the avatars may be. Note too, there should be an option for admins to delete others avatars.

Gr.Villermen

Still no way of setting max avatar size ? 300x300 still the max?

Yes, and as mentioned before this won't be increased, so there is really no point to keep asking for it.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Hey there,

Is there any way to increase the 300x300 size limit of an avatar?

Thanks

Hey,

no, there's nothing you can do about that. The pixels of bigger pictures will automatically get reduced.

Best regards
    Marc

it doesnt automatically, got a message:

Selected animated avatar is too large. hehe. But thanks!

Just my 2 cents but if enough people disagree with a feature, possibly to could be addressed.

I cannot see a logical reason for a fixed limitation on this. Were this a server groups permission I could understand it being a default setting it would make sense as it could be raised or lowered as an admin's digression. While smaller avatars may help lower bandwidth and thus increase performance on a server, images and banners can be set to extraordinary sizes and have no such effect.

While smaller avatar sizes may be preferable by many for aesthetic purposes, it is not for all. Forcing users to go back and re-size or abandon an avatar because of a rather pointless restriction is very detracting for an otherwise well-built program.

A solution could be to make a Server Group permission:
    i_client_max_avatar_x_length
    i_client_max_avatar_y_length

Then providing server admins with an default grant power to modify it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccarello View Post
    Just my 2 cents but if enough people disagree with a feature, possibly to could be addressed.

I cannot see a logical reason for a fixed limitation on this. Were this a server groups permission I could understand it being a default setting it would make sense as it could be raised or lowered as an admin's digression. While smaller avatars may help lower bandwidth and thus increase performance on a server, images and banners can be set to extraordinary sizes and have no such effect.

While smaller avatar sizes may be preferable by many for aesthetic purposes, it is not for all. Forcing users to go back and re-size or abandon an avatar because of a rather pointless restriction is very detracting for an otherwise well-built program.

A solution could be to make a Server Group permission:
    i_client_max_avatar_x_length
    i_client_max_avatar_y_length

Then providing server admins with an default grant power to modify it from there.
    I'd like the avatars to be much smaller and thats why I'm scaling them down to 128x128 pixels in my client theme. 300x300 pixels is more than enough size for an avatar image and here's are some reasons for that:

1. I don't know a single popular forum, blog or social network that displays avatars larger than 300x300 pixels... most of them are even smaller. Sure, you can upload larger pictures, but they'll be scaled to an appropriate size. Even Gravatar does that.
    2. Large images will break the layout of the client infoframe and I don't want to maximize the window to see the entire image.
    3. The avatar is not intended to be used a "hey let me show you this picture real quick". I know people do that, but that doesn't make it right.

I could give more examples, but I think that's enough for now (plus I'm too lazy to write).

I'm aware that most people are like "OMG that girl has an avatar where you can see some cleavage" and that the image can't be big enough in those situations... but an avatar should be a rather small picture that makes it easier to recognize or identify a person. Use an external image hosting service or the file transfer feature to exchange pictures.

I understand the arguments but I think increasing the customization is always a good thing, if it is well thought out.

That is why it would take a two-step system :
    - A permission system, as described above, that would allow the community to decide which size is appropriate on the server
    - A parameter in the Teamspeak client, set by defaut at 300x300, that will decide which avatars must be download or not

This would allow to use, for example, signs as avatar (400x150 or so)

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    I'd like the avatars to be much smaller and thats why I'm scaling them down to 128x128 pixels in my client theme. 300x300 pixels is more than enough size for an avatar image and here's are some reasons for that:

1. I don't know a single popular forum, blog or social network that displays avatars larger than 300x300 pixels... most of them are even smaller. Sure, you can upload larger pictures, but they'll be scaled to an appropriate size. Even Gravatar does that.
    2. Large images will break the layout of the client infoframe and I don't want to maximize the window to see the entire image.
    3. The avatar is not intended to be used a "hey let me show you this picture real quick". I know people do that, but that doesn't make it right.

I could give more examples, but I think that's enough for now (plus I'm too lazy to write).

I'm aware that most people are like "OMG that girl has an avatar where you can see some cleavage" and that the image can't be big enough in those situations... but an avatar should be a rather small picture that makes it easier to recognize or identify a person. Use an external image hosting service or the file transfer feature to exchange pictures.
    I know its a time ago but wouldn't it be possible to make a zoom function for pics? Because I think really much people do not use those avatars for better identification, they use them for sharing pics with other peoples on the server. Wouldn't it be rather possible to make a function when you go over the picture with your mouse you can zoom in with mouse wheel or zoom out? That would prevent people with smaller monitors / resolution to see nothing from a big picture.. Thanks!

Can i restrict avatar size to 200x200?

I want to restrict the size of an avatar to 200x200 because of a skin i am making

How can i do this plz?
    Last edited by dante696; November 21st, 2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: merged

Thread Information