Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

File share in one channel only

I am trying to figure out the permission system I know as soon I see the structure or the flow of the permission system it will be easy hopefully

How would you allow users to use only one channel for file transfers, it would make it easier for me to admin instead of having file transfer rights on all channels.

When I look in the channel permission file transfer is not allowed but still anyone can do file transfers in any channels. Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think you need to modify the channel permission to allowed the client to upload and download only in this channel.
    You can do it by modify the Download/Upload power needed.
    This is a suppose,at the moment i'm away from my pc and so i can't try it on my servers(and in any case i can't log whit ServerAdmin becouse i don't have any token whit me ).

I did not find a satisfactory solution for this. Anyone else has any idea?

You can try to set for all the channels where file transfer shall be disallowed:

i_ft_needed_file_upload_power 100
    i_ft_needed_file_download_power 100
    i_ft_needed_file_delete_power 100
    i_ft_needed_file_rename_power 100
    i_ft_needed_file_browse_power 100
    i_ft_needed_directory_create_power 100

However, once a new channel is created, file transfer is possible for this new channel.

I also tried to define it on a per server group permission instead of a per channel permission. However, this would go wrong:

Set the following permissions in the server groups:
    i_ft_file_upload_power -1
    i_ft_file_download_power -1
    i_ft_file_delete_power -1
    i_ft_file_rename_power -1
    i_ft_file_browse_power -1
    i_ft_directory_create_power -1

This will disallow users to use the File Transfer.

Then on the only channel that shall be used for file transfer, set the following permissions:
    i_ft_file_upload_power 10
    i_ft_file_download_power 10
    i_ft_file_delete_power 10
    i_ft_file_rename_power 10
    i_ft_file_browse_power 10
    i_ft_directory_create_power 10

Be aware of the fact that ANYONE who is in that channel (even guests) may use the file transfer. Be aware of the fact that file transfer is possible to ANY channel, not only the one that had its permissions changed.

this is a good idea.
    I think it will be depend of different using of Server: Clan or Public.
    If it is a Clan Server you can simply change the needed download and upload power becouse the number of channel remains unchanged and the user are all in one Clan/Guild/Alliance.
    But if it is a Public server this becomes more complicated.
    Swede73 can you explain better your situation? maiby we can found a better solution.

I disabled file upload in some channels by using the rule on every channel, but is it possible that just certain groups can see the uploaded files on channels where upload is allowed for certain groups?

A ok, i found it, there is a needed browse power rule.
    Last edited by sandermann; December 24th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.

Hi,
    found on this page: http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3

"Depending on your permissions, users can recursively upload or download files on a per-channel basis or into a common folder tree."

What is the common folder tree and where can it be found, set and specified?

However, we are experiencing speed issues with file transfers... I am on a 20mbit connection and my download speed jumps up and down between 150 and 350 kbyte/sec, I never get full speed. This only happens with downloads, uploads have full speed... And since I have 5mbit upstream bandwidth, I can upload faster than I can download!! The TS server has set bandwidth limit to "-1". When I do http or ftp transfers from the same machine, I get full 2.5mbyte/sec. So it is not a problem with my connection or the server.
    Anyone else?

I am looking for how to set server wide permissions. AS it was said, seems you have to set the permissions for each room when it's made and default seems to be full rights for file transfer. that's not good.

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the settings. I have to set the rights to 100 to be able to use it as admin.

Are we supposed to change the "needed ...." ? For example, there is
    File browse power
    Needed file browse power.

If I set File browse power to less then 100 I loose access admin.

Sorry for not being responsive for questions been away for a few days.

If you look how TS3 stores all the files in each channel you have in a server imagine having 100 channels not that I do but larger servers would have to to deal with 100 folders or more if they choose to allow file transfer. Instead having one channel more or less for transfers or files. The TS3 server I run is for a clan and I trust members not to take advantage but permission system allows me to take away any users right that misuses it.

For me it would be easier to deal with only one file location then every room. I would imagine it would be a nightmare for operators that allow all rooms to do file transfers.

The problem is, it seems the default is to allow full file transfer. When you create a room, anyone can upload, download, rename, delete, create folders, etc. It's not until you enable permissions for file transfers for a room that you can set limits on who does what. This is backwards of how it should be.

Also, I have yet to see info on the difference between a permission and a needed permission. Setting permission level seems to set the max level you can have and still have access meaning normal users could, but admins can't, while needed permission seems to set the min level you can have and still do it.

Hi Guys. I had the same problem and came up with the following solution.

When you create a channel or sub channel, a channel I.D is assigned to that channel (Click on any channel and the channel I.D is displayed on the right hand side) a corresponding folder is Also created server side with the corresponding I.D these folders can be found under files\virtualserver_1\ For me because we have a large number of channels I simply deleted all the folders apart from the one I wanted to share files in. I then set a password on the remaining channel and gave permisions to certain server groups to browse files without channel password.

If at a later date you wish to enable another channel with file upload / download, simply take note of the channel I.D then create a corresponding folder.

Hope this helps, it works for me and is very quick to setup.

RGDS T
    Last edited by >MOW< BIG T; December 30th, 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Thread Information