Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Solved [Suggestion] Hide channels

It would be cool to have a permission to hide channels. For example I would like to hide staff channels from normal members.

I think that would be a great idea and I'm surprised I didn't think of it myself

No I do not like that idea. It is enough to have a permission that handles channel subscriptions in my opinion.

Channel subscriptions and join power are good but do not solve this specific problem.

In my environment I have some channels that are only for new (not accepted) members and some only for staff. As normal user those channels just fill up the channel tree, because the subscription does only hide users but not the subchannels.

An additional "view power" would solve the problem. And if you don't like the permission just leave it on the standard value and don't care about it.

Although I would probably never use this feature, I will support it's addition as it has potential value.

I had a talk to some users on public server. And we decided, this is no usefull feature.
    If you like to hide channel description, so don't enter one. Needed subscribe power is already implemented, so no one can spy your users.

Edit
    Hiding users or channels is nothing TeamSpeak wants.
    Please use subscribe power and a channel password when users should not see your in a channel.
    Last edited by dante696; January 17th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    If you like to hide channel description, so don't enter one. Needed subscribe power is already implemented, so no one can spy your users.
    I think you misunderstood. I don't want to hide the channel description. I want to hide the channel itself! And the reason is not because they could spy, it should be to cleanup the tree. Why should one see 15 channels he will never be able to join? It's just unnecessary tree clutter. Think of it like hidden forums in a board. I am sure you have such forums in this board too.
    Last edited by dante696; January 6th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Peter you stole my forums example!

But my thoughts exactly.

Will ask some people about this feature request, but i don't think this is usefull.
    How people can join, when channel is hidden?

How people can join, when channel is hidden?
    They cannot The idea is to hide channels they cannot join anyway. It is an extension to the join/subscribe permissions.

This would also make it possible to hide channels from server queries.

Perhaps a different approach that would also help:
    Do not show subchannels if the subscribe power of the parent channel is not high enough. So I could just move all the staff channels inside this parent group and normal members would only see the mother channel.

I personally find it useful because if you have about 20 channels restricted to only to a certain group, the other groups don't have to waste time attempting to access it or waste time scrolling.

Kind Regards,

Haku

We decided, that this feature won't get implemented.
    Just use Subscribe, join and Password power

Quote Originally Posted by HakuAnime View Post
    I personally find it useful because if you have about 20 channels restricted to only to a certain group, the other groups don't have to waste time attempting to access it or waste time scrolling.

Kind Regards,

Haku
    OT: gonna kick your ass on public when you show.
    there is no reason to make hide channel permission or anything of that kind.
    as dante and others said its enought to use permissions already in there.

as for PeterW
    then put those channels as subchannels to one tree and they can just hit [-] and pack those.

We decided, that this feature won't get implemented.
    Just use Subscribe, join and Password power
    I see and will accept his. Thanks for considering. Just one last question: What about improving the subscribe feature hiding the subchannels?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    there is no reason to make hide channel permission or anything of that kind.
    There is. Just read my posts. Just because it won't be implemented doesn't mean there is no reason for a feature

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    as for PeterW
    then put those channels as subchannels to one tree and they can just hit [-] and pack those.
    They are in one tree, but again it's an unnecessary click for the user.

heya

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    I see and will accept his. Thanks for considering. Just one last question: What about improving the subscribe feature hiding the subchannels?
    at least this would be fantastic, if we don't get the hide-feature it would be great to hide at least the subchannel.

Thread Information