Forum

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    tbh,

If you spend 20-30 minutes going through the permissions system, and setting up a server group you SHOULD get the just of it.

At first, it was all confusing and didnt make sense and I honestly thought "they could have made this easier". After 30 mins of playing with it, it makes a LOT of sense. Its very powerful and works a charm.

You dont HAVE to create groups. There are 3 very nice ones in there already, Server Admin, Normal and Guest.

I have added an extra one for Admins. In admins I assign higher powers for kicking, talking, moving and editing ect. Admins are all members of Normal, so get those permissions. And when I add them to the admins group, they get those permissions and settings as well.

You can also drag and drop people into groups. Open Server groups, select your group and drag the persons Nickname into the new group and its done.

Some of the posts in here are rather long complaining about how hard it is. Spend that time understanding the permissions system and you wouldn't have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    tbh,

If you spend 20-30 minutes going through the permissions system, and setting up a server group you SHOULD get the just of it.

At first, it was all confusing and didnt make sense and I honestly thought "they could have made this easier". After 30 mins of playing with it, it makes a LOT of sense. Its very powerful and works a charm.

You dont HAVE to create groups. There are 3 very nice ones in there already, Server Admin, Normal and Guest.

I have added an extra one for Admins. In admins I assign higher powers for kicking, talking, moving and editing ect. Admins are all members of Normal, so get those permissions. And when I add them to the admins group, they get those permissions and settings as well.

You can also drag and drop people into groups. Open Server groups, select your group and drag the persons Nickname into the new group and its done.

Some of the posts in here are rather long complaining about how hard it is. Spend that time understanding the permissions system and you wouldn't have an issue.
    See?

Here is a person who simply spent some time LEARNING to understand the system and now has it down. I especially like the last sentence in this post... the time spent here whining and complaining, you could be using to learn your server permissions.

Yeah... some of you will toss out that "but I have better things to do" crap you all keep spouting but if that were truly the case, you would be doing something better instead of coming here to write out 30 paragraph complaints about how hard everything is.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S. Excreta View Post
    See?

Here is a person who simply spent some time LEARNING to understand the system and now has it down. I especially like the last sentence in this post... the time spent here whining and complaining, you could be using to learn your server permissions.

Yeah... some of you will toss out that "but I have better things to do" crap you all keep spouting but if that were truly the case, you would be doing something better instead of coming here to write out 30 paragraph complaints about how hard everything is.
    I spent most of the afternoon learning as much as i can about TS3 and now i have many workarounds to the things that people here see as "hard" or "complicated". When you get use to it, it really is very easy to use.

For example, the have to alt+tab out to give a friend serveradmin. My workaround for this is, is that i created tokens for the "Admins" group and passed them out to my friends previously before they came on to the teamspeak. When they joined they just used the token and were added to the group by the server while i played CoD MW2.

I think that TS3 has improved a great deal since TS2, yes it's more complicated, but you can't expect there to be more features and be more secure without it being complicated in some ways. All it takes is a little time to read and do some experimenting to be able to know how to administrate the TeamSpeak server.

In fact just ask on here for workarounds and/or explanations and i am sure someone like me will be more than happy to provide a solution that will hopefully suite your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S. Excreta View Post
    That doesn't address the fact that there are certain basic things which you cannot do with TS3, no matter how long you read or study the permissions.

Cheers!

Luke

Like what, luke?

Quote Originally Posted by Malivil View Post
    Like what, luke?
    I've posted on this several times. I want the ability to use credentials contained in an external authentication system. The current system of a user token does me and my users little good.

The current TS3 authentication mechanism may work for certain implementations, and I wouldn't want to see it go away. But for private voice implementations, it doesn't work. I want to be able to restrict access, pre-register users, restrict what ID they use and ensure that they can use the same ID without copying an identity from PC to PC. I don't believe the current mechanism supports my requirements.

Cheers!

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by LukeK View Post
    I've posted on this several times. I want the ability to use credentials contained in an external authentication system. The current system of a user token does me and my users little good.

The current TS3 authentication mechanism may work for certain implementations, and I wouldn't want to see it go away. But for private voice implementations, it doesn't work. I want to be able to restrict access, pre-register users, restrict what ID they use and ensure that they can use the same ID without copying an identity from PC to PC. I don't believe the current mechanism supports my requirements.

Cheers!

Luke
    I agree that this authentication system is very strange compared to the common and widely accepted methods. I would, however, like to see the previous type of authentication as at least a secondary option to TS3. I am not a fan of the token-distribution system that we have currently. But like it was stated before, you have to expect some form of new complications with new features, it's how everything works out. Plus, we're only in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by deiussum View Post
    2. You can set a password to connect to the server. If the server has a password, people can't connect as a guest unless they enter the server password. Think of it kind of like the old TS2 Anonymous user password.
    How...? Haven't been able to find that option yet...

Right click on the server name in the channel window (the name at the VERY TOP) and click "Edit Virtual Server"

Quote Originally Posted by LukeK View Post

Cheers!

Luke
    This deals with something that isn't present at all, as opposed to something that is present and supposedly too complicated to learn.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    I agree with Fastgiga, ideally there should be several server groups:

Superadmin: (as current Server Admin)
    Server Admin: (as above but no ability to affect server settings or create new admins)
    Moderators: (less powers than Admins but can edit/create channels and kick users)
    Members: (can create temporary channels and edit those, send text to current channel, receive files, etc. but cannot edit permanent channels or kick users)
    Guests: Can move to any standard channels, but cannot create channels or send text.
    Your system is that i wanted to have but the current one is really complex.

While I agree the UI could be a little more user friendly, it isn't that hard once you pay attention, step back, take a deep breath, and read one option at a time.

All the people here complaining about the complexity, I will have to agree with Excreta. Updates mean new systems; if you're not willing to learn a new system, don't upgrade. If you were to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, and then complain about how different it is, I'd be forced to ask why you upgraded.

One clarification I can make, is about the channel permissions. Yes, the full list is there. As I understand it, if you give a channel kick power, all users in the channel will have that kick power. However, there are also channel specific permissions. I'll give you an example from my own server: We have several channels dedicated to members of certain ranks and above. All members, only full members, officers, generals, etc. With TS2 each of those channels had a password, and I would have to hand out the password to all authorized users. If a user ever became UNauthorized (kicked from clan, etc.) I needed to change that password and redistribute the new one. With the TS3 permissions system, each of those channels has a needed join power. (Look under Permissions -> Channel -> Access -> Needed Channel Join Power (i_channel_needed_join_power) ). Then every server group has a Channel Join Power (i_channel_join_power). Now, if I put a full member into the member server group, they get a join power of 20. The Recruits' Tent has a needed join power of 10, the Enlisted Tent has 20, the NCOs
    Tent 30, etc. When members try to join any of those channels, their join power is compared to the channel's needed join power. If it's greater than or equal to, they can join. So now I don't need to change passwords and such, I just make sure all my members are in the correct server group and voila.

Also, I would like to point out the superiority of the new Unique ID system (to me, anyway). Now, there is absolutely no risk of having your account stolen by guessed password, etc. Short of hacking the TS Client, that is (which may or may not be possible, I don't know). You don't have to worry about clients forgetting their username or password (oh god, that's happened so many times...). Too, you can test your system out without admin rights. Click Settings -> Identities, and create a new identity. It will have a new Unique ID, and therefore, no permissions on your server.

And the tokens are great, because they're single use ways to give users who aren't online certain permissions. And if you ever 'lose' your server admin rights, you can use Server Query to get them back. When you launch your server for the first time, it gives you a password to use in Server Query to get them back. As for the lack of documentation, this leads to my next point.

Folks, this is an open beta. Do you understand what BETA means? It means the product is still in development, and may or may not be in working order. It means changes will be made, and don't count on what you do now working in the future. Most of all, it means USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you want documentation, the hand-holding guide, TS3 for Dummies, wait until it's no longer in beta before you start using it.

After having used TS3 for some weeks now I think I userstand the permission system well enough to get a server running and keep it running. But I still think that it should be simplified. It is not wise to say that you just have to learn the new system because if you make something too complex, you won't get a large userbase like TS2 had.

Yes, I agree that TS3 has advantages, yes the sound quality has improved, but some things should be easier. e.g copy/paste of channels/server groups/channel groups to get all of the permissions the same (There are a LOT of permissions to set on a new channel/group)

I dont think it need any simplifies...
    just maybe a manual with few examples for you guys.
    and I am lazy to type that 20 minutes before one of my exams.

Thumbs down

I totally agree with those who find this permission system way to complex and confusing.

I am 33 years old, employed IT-Professional for over 12 years and I thought with the Admin Interfaces of Lotus Domino or IBM Websphere I had seen and mastered some of the most complex things out there. But this TS3 permission system overtakes those easily.

Having hundreds of rights of which each can be defined or undefined and if defined having values for value, skip, negate and grant (can be undefined, too) is not understandable at all and oversized by 10000% for a voice communication tool.

It took me 4 hours to assign myself sufficient rights on the beta1 to edit the server settings along with the number of allowed users. That took me longer than writing a Linux Shell script to kick users with outdated clients from my server. And I haven't been very familiar with Linux Shell scripts either. It's kind of ironic that there is no way to disallow outdated clients in this mass of mostly useless permissions

I don't believe anyone telling he understood this in an hour of testing or thinking about it. You would need at least a couple of test users who are willing to waste an afternoon or long evening with you on testing what those hundreds of rights and the dozens of value-combinations each of those can take would do.

And even if an IT-Professional like me can sort this out with a lot of time and some cans of coffee, gamers, one of the target audiences for this tool, will be totally lost in this tangled mass of options.
    Last edited by Pioneer1976; January 5th, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Thread Information