Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UF|Renegade|LTG View Post
    Not installed by default? Really? No way... That's just stupid...
    yeah its not installed by default.

anyway, to use putty is better since that does support utf8 which you will need if you wanna play more around with the serverquery.

To be honest the permission system is not decently integrated. It is good that they give the possibility for extensive management. But they have to attend to the medium user who wants some basic options so that the user experience is better integrated,
    overall giving the project a better edge!

Thumbs down Easier to make permissions

I have been wondering something and that is why do it have to be maid so difficult with htis permission thng when you are doing a new version, even if TS3 is much better in sound, delay and so on it should not be so hard to keep it simple and clean like in TS2 with this permission to different channels, groups and players.
    Please make it more easier,
    i lovedTS2 because it was so simple to make permissions, you only clicked, enable or disable, easyer then that it cant be and it was secure to.

Benny

i rent my TS3 server

I have been reading this forum to TRY to understand the stupid permisison thing and i cant get anything to work, as it seems i cant get 100 (prob. because those who i rent the server from is 100 and i can only be 75). Why cant it be a better, easier system for giving groups permission. I thought ventrilo was hard to make pemissions but compaire to this it was easy. Why doesnt TeamSpeak make an info page HOW to make permissions for groups and how to "pull" the users in that group.
    I have made screens for almost all of the permmissions in this program, 2 screens are missing, do we really need all of this?

I must say that when i dont understand anything i get so mad so i prob will start using Vent like someone said earlier we should do if we dont like TS3, i LOVE ts but more user friendly, PLZ.

Ok, first off I have read through the entire thread, I have read all the typically negative comments by TS_Excreta and UF|Renegade|LTG. So here we go kids, please post your server IP addresses and we'll see if you really know what you are doing or not. Put your money where your mouth is since you're the experts. Also, if your server is passworded then please provide the password to connect. I'm sure several of us will assist you in making sure your TS3 servers are secure.

Secondly, I agree with over 80% of the posts in the topic, the UI needs to be reworked or given a couple of version options, and the comments from the devs are perfect, glad you decided to add a basic version in addition to the "advanced" version that is already setup. I'm sure we'll probably see this in beta 14 or beta 15!

Excuse me? What negative comments? Let me summarize my comments for you right now:

If you can't deal with the system the way it is now, don't use it until it is updated (and it WILL be updated, it's been stated several times). If you can't deal with the system without docs, wait until the docs are made. Don't ask for the system to be made simpler, because it is in fact not complex enough (as attested to by the fact that there are several dozen if not hundreds of requests asking for new permissions to be added). Instead, ask for it to be made easier. It is not the system that should be simplified, but the interface.

I believe that is the gist of what I have said so far in this topic. I do not think down on the people that can't figure it out (as some have made clear). I do, however, think down on the people who don't even try, but instead, come to these forums and complain about the system.

I also believe I stated that a fancy degree does not give you the right to assume you are superior to the 'average user.'

That's all for now folks,
    Renegade, Lieutenant General
    UF| The United Front
    www.theunitedfrontclan.com

Assuming that just because people can't figure out the "Advanced" permissions systems aren't intelligent is wrong. Just because you or someone else CAN figure it out, doesn't make you any more smart than anyone else here either.

And let's assume for a moment that it DOES make you the most intelligent group of people in the world. That's how much of the TS3 customer base? It can't be where the money is, that's for sure.

Even *IF* (I say IF because I haven't seen it yet) there is a simplified interface coming, that doesn't mean that the advanced system in it's current form (I'm talking about UI here, not HOW it works) is good.

When you need an entire forum to discuss a specific function of your product, I think that speaks for itself as to the user friendliness (or lack) of things.

I'm a current Vent user and after playing with TS3, I would LOVE to switch to it. It's by far years above Vent in features and functionality. However all of that goodness means nothing if I can't figure out how to use it correctly.

@Renegade: Me is from computing area, spec. from networking and administration.
    Even me had to find out how the new permission system works, so me would be a du** a** then too?

@Trekkan: And, yes finding out how technical stuff works and how to operate them makes us better than normal mortals - just like the BOfH said once:
    ...what was BOFH's motivation?
    A14. The undeniable realisation that Computer Operators rule the world!

Excuse me? What negative comments? Let me summarize my comments for you right now:

If you can't deal with the system the way it is now, don't use it until it is updated (and it WILL be updated, it's been stated several times). If you can't deal with the system without docs, wait until the docs are made. Don't ask for the system to be made simpler, because it is in fact not complex enough (as attested to by the fact that there are several dozen if not hundreds of requests asking for new permissions to be added). Instead, ask for it to be made easier. It is not the system that should be simplified, but the interface.

I believe that is the gist of what I have said so far in this topic. I do not think down on the people that can't figure it out (as some have made clear). I do, however, think down on the people who don't even try, but instead, come to these forums and complain about the system.

I also believe I stated that a fancy degree does not give you the right to assume you are superior to the 'average user.'

That's all for now folks,
    Renegade, Lieutenant General
    UF| The United Front
    www.theunitedfrontclan.com
    Server IP: ts3.theunitedfrontclan.com:9987
    No password needed.

Review of security: Pretty poor

Explaination: The base channels are well secured, however your subchannels are not secured at all. I was able to access all these channels with guest permissions. I also was able to go into your file browser in your "Lieutenant General Renegade" sub channel, whats better you have stored your Server Admin with Server Query Admin profile ini file in there titled "renegade.ini", that I downloaded and can create another profile on my client to login as you and do anything I like with the server, also available is your "Major Generals" profile ini file titled "lipton.ini" which also has server admin permissions. Not only that but the guests can upload self extracting files to your FTP which could include nasty viruses or root kit viruses. Thus allowing them to completely compromise the entire box that your TS3 installation is on. I have uploaded a dummy file that is NOT DANGEROUS which is titled RootKitVirus.exe to prove my point. You're lucky I am a nice guy and simply wanted to prove a point to you. In the future please make sure you are a little more understanding of people before you go running your mouth! Hopefully now you can agree that the permissions system isn't quite as easy as you thought it was and that you could really use some help setting it up with a better GUI.

Have a nice day!

P.S. You'll want to correct the mistakes I mentioned above, I could have done it for you but you wouldn't learn anything then.

IP: 217.172.184.90:9987
    No Serverpassword set.

Can you review this server and its security too?
    This gonna to be our main-server (for our company and for hosting).
    If you want to have "Server Admin (7)" for testing, just PM for a Token.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkan View Post
    Assuming that just because people can't figure out the "Advanced" permissions systems aren't intelligent is wrong. Just because you or someone else CAN figure it out, doesn't make you any more smart than anyone else here either.
    I never did any of that. I told the people who didn't try that they should try, and if they don't want to try, they have no right to complain. You strike me as an intelligent individual, surely you can understand that.

Even *IF* (I say IF because I haven't seen it yet) there is a simplified interface coming, that doesn't mean that the advanced system in it's current form (I'm talking about UI here, not HOW it works) is good.
    No, it doesn't. But it does mean that people can stop complaining about it.

When you need an entire forum to discuss a specific function of your product, I think that speaks for itself as to the user friendliness (or lack) of things.
    I agree, but as has already been stated, a better UI is on the way (as far as I've been made aware).

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    @Renegade: Me is from computing area, spec. from networking and administration.
    Even me had to find out how the new permission system works, so me would be a du** a** then too?
    Did I ever say that? I said if you don't try, don't complain (for the umpteenth time). I did say however, that being from that professional field, doesn't mean you should automatically understand this. If you have a fancy IT degree, or whatever else, it does not, under any circumstances, mean that "If I can't figure it out, damnit nobody can!"

Quote Originally Posted by Schlup View Post
    I was able to access all these channels with guest permissions.
    I fail to see how, I've tested that extensively and I cannot access any of the Member Channels sub-channels or the Off-Duty ones as a guest.

I also was able to go into your file browser in your "Lieutenant General Renegade" sub channel, whats better you have stored your Server Admin with Server Query Admin profile ini file in there titled "renegade.ini", that I downloaded and can create another profile on my client to login as you and do anything I like with the server, also available is your "Major Generals" profile ini file titled "lipton.ini" which also has server admin permissions. Not only that but the guests can upload self extracting files to your FTP which could include nasty viruses or root kit viruses. Thus allowing them to completely compromise the entire box that your TS3 installation is on.
    Yes, that one is most definitely my fault. However, as I've said before, my server is backed up daily and my database is backed up four times a day, for that exact reason.

You're lucky I am a nice guy and simply wanted to prove a point to you. In the future please make sure you are a little more understanding of people before you go running your mouth! Hopefully now you can agree that the permissions system isn't quite as easy as you thought it was and that you could really use some help setting it up with a better GUI.

Have a nice day!
    I've been nothing but courteous to every user here. If my blunt honesty offends you, ignore me, I don't like to sugarcoat things, and I know some people are offended by that, but it's the way I am and I won't change it for politics' sake. This comment here, on the other hand, shows nothing but disrespect and childish behaviour. I appreciate the security eval (although I didn't ask for it) and I am fixing these problems. But in the future, perhaps you should consider what others have said with your brain instead of your imagination. At no time did I say I was an expert, only that I've gotten farther than the people who haven't tried.

I've been nothing but courteous to every user here. If my blunt honesty offends you, ignore me, I don't like to sugarcoat things, and I know some people are offended by that, but it's the way I am and I won't change it for politics' sake. This comment here, on the other hand, shows nothing but disrespect and childish behaviour. I appreciate the security eval (although I didn't ask for it) and I am fixing these problems. But in the future, perhaps you should consider what others have said with your brain instead of your imagination. At no time did I say I was an expert, only that I've gotten farther than the people who haven't tried.
    You haven't gotten far at all, did you read at all the security holes you had? Do you realize that I now have your "master admin profile", so unless you do a complete reinstall you still have a big wide gaping hole in your security. Not to mention that judging from what I've seen so far I'll bet that your backups are on the same machine as the one TS3 is installed on, if that's the case the self extracting viruses will take care of all your backups in quick time.

Listen, I realize you run a very small clan with only 2 members counting yourself so it doesn't really matter if your TS goes down or your website goes down (p.s. make sure to update your MySQL version on your website, MySQL injections can get nasty on that version) but some of us have many many people counting on this stuff or are running it in real business world applications. When there's money at stake in the business world everything must simply work all the time every time or it looks bad on your business or it costs the business money. We have to make sure that the application is very secure because there maybe competitors that have alot to gain by bringing your stuff down.

Anyways, we're getting way off topic here. It comes back to this, the permissions system isn't easy enough to configure by 80+% of the user base as shown in this forum topic (which I might add are some of the more advanced users since they are beta testing). If the TS devs just want to put out some awesome software then fine, but if they want to make money from resellers, businesses, etc then they'll have to rethink the interface for permissions, which they've already said they are doing. Good for them for wanting to make it better, I applaud them for it. You have said what you want to, any more comments from you in this thread are counter productive. You are simply trying to persuade people that they are wrong, when in reality this whole topic is about opinions on the ease of use of the permissions system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    IP: 217.172.184.90:9987
    No Serverpassword set.

Can you review this server and its security too?
    This gonna to be our main-server (for our company and for hosting).
    If you want to have "Server Admin (7)" for testing, just PM for a Token.

Thanks in advance.
    Well I didn't intended to be the security tester guy. I just wanted to prove a point to the young lad. If I have some spare time over the next couple days I will look at it. I don't need Server Admin unless you intend to give your users that permission. I just need whatever permission your default users will have which is typically just "guest" unless they are trusted.

You haven't gotten far at all, did you read at all the security holes you had? Do you realize that I now have your "master admin profile", so unless you do a complete reinstall you still have a big wide gaping hole in your security.
    Go ahead, try it. I know how to change a super admin account quite easily.

Not to mention that judging from what I've seen so far I'll bet that your backups are on the same machine as the one TS3 is installed on, if that's the case the self extracting viruses will take care of all your backups in quick time.
    Do you honestly think I'm that stupid? Of course not, my backups are kept on a network server. And that server is also backed up to another box once a week.

Listen, I realize you run a very small clan with only 2 members counting yourself so it doesn't really matter if your TS goes down or your website goes down (p.s. make sure to update your MySQL version on your website, MySQL injections can get nasty on that version) but some of us have many many people counting on this stuff or are running it in real business world applications. When there's money at stake in the business world everything must simply work all the time every time or it looks bad on your business or it costs the business money. We have to make sure that the application is very secure because there maybe competitors that have alot to gain by bringing your stuff down.
    I understand that, but if you have money at stake, why are you using a product in beta? That seems like a bad business decision to me, for that exact reason.

You have said what you want to, any more comments from you in this thread are counter productive. You are simply trying to persuade people that they are wrong, when in reality this whole topic is about opinions on the ease of use of the permissions system.
    I've simply been trying to maintain a point/counter-point argument here. Which, I believe, is the main purpose of most forums. If you want to submit an opinion without hearing other peoples opinions about it, you could use e-mail.

Lastly, there's that respect thing I was talking about. You're sitting here portraying me as some 16 year old kid living in his basement with nothing better to do but insult others. When in reality, you are much more off topic than I am. Not that that's a bad thing, topics tend to evolve over time, and this one's been around for a while.

Just something to think about,
    Renegade
    Last edited by UF|Renegade|LTG; January 16th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Wow, a catfight going on

Yes, Schlup, some ppl are going to have SA, but they will be limited too.

Thread Information