Forum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Still think those are workarounds for the real problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_com_freak View Post
    On ts2 what could the possibly do when they had sa... remove registration? delete/alter channels... wow...
    If you can't take security seriously, then others will not take your suggestions (and particularly your complaints seriously).

mate... you have nu clue about running clans... peoples opinions always differ etc. People leave the clan people sometimes even get forced to leave the clan...
    Not that it matters, but I was in a few clans and I did manage some of the leadership issues. I'm also a programmer, and even in just gaming related things I ran point on some community related things that required more security than a regular clan would need. You know where clans and related groups had problems with security? Account passwords, forum software... You know -- the things you think works so well.

There is no need to challenge me on my ability to run a clan when it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Not it it stays on the desk and the USB stick is meant to travel to other computers (exporting of accounts) the book is just a reference to get back to when u forgot it... nearly never opens
    This doesn't always work, but even if it did, it still doesn't negate the good that the ID/token system brings.

That u said was an insecure method....
    It is less secure in some respect. Security is often not about perfection, but being better or worse in comparison to some arbitrary acceptable position, at least when it comes to encryption and passwords. If it takes an estimated 100 years to crack a password using a brute force approach, then many people will probably think that is good enough for many purposes. If it takes 5 minutes to crack a password using the same technique, many people will say that is not good enough. So security is a relative thing in some cases.

If you could design a perfect system, then you'd probably get a prize. Banks don't even use perfection in their systems for online transactions.

For channel protection, you're not necessarily risking that much with a password. Like I said, the TS3 team could do it, but the cost-benefit analysis might not indicate that it is a profitable move.

I still think letting everyone just go and connect to the server is a bad thing... you don't want your bad neighbor sit in the hallway just to see what happens.... name stealing just would not happen when its back to normal accounting system.... people would be carefull to mess around with there account...
    This whole idea of "name stealing" is a little misunderstood. The paradigm that TS3 is working on is that, in general, no one should claim a nick and they should not be bound to the user, but changeable.

If the server logs people by their nicks, IPs, and GUIDs, then your tracking of troublemakers is actually easier in one sense than if it's just account based. Consider AliasFinder and related things for PB-based games.

Just one more thing.....if somehow the client cant save its data to the file where the token etc is saved the TS client reports an error and all settings inc token are gone... (happened more then once to same or different members already) this means... new token... all settings gone... re-importing token does not work at the time then... this would have never happened when you had passwords.... ok he could have forgotten his password.. but i could reset that... and he could just re-enter it and done... the token system then requires me to remove all his rights and recreate them....And...if you look at tokens closely you find out that (admin) tokens and passwords work exacly the same on connecting... the only thing missing is the Username
    I have no idea what you're describing. If it's a bug, report it, as this doesn't sound like normal behavior for the token system.

You still have no clue at all

I use a private server with several hundred users, we are prone to people trying to gain access to our server, as we use it for in game warfare (eve-online). There should be an option to set a password to even gain access to the server, and again i like the idea of a password for the account on the server, can we not tie the unique id to a password for the server. ie.. person with a maching unique id and password gets assigned a specific nick and has permissions allready set on the server.

yes... it would be great if there were a possibility, to reserve nicknames to predefined UniqueID´s.
    so that not everybody can use "reserved" nicknames

Quote Originally Posted by blutengel View Post
    yes... it would be great if there were a possibility, to reserve nicknames to predefined UniqueID´s.
    so that not everybody can use "reserved" nicknames
    You mean identification/login names, nicknames could be changed in TS2 too...

Quote Originally Posted by MindcrimeNL View Post
    You mean identification/login names, nicknames could be changed in TS2 too...
    yes.. in TS2 was nickname changing possible! in TS3 it should be the same.

but additional it would be great, if there were something like "a nickname reservation"
    that only registered clients can use there reserved nicknames.

But they do not have to use them!
    u know what i mean?

There is.... users have to connect to the server and are allowed in immediately (with or without certain rights)... a wrong UN and PASS would give you no access at all
    in ts2 its possible to mimic people by changing your nickname when they arnt online and using the same login credentials you normally do.

The issue people seem to be having is that there is no easy way to manage user databases at this point at a macro level. When someone 'leaves' your clan for example, they could easily have 2-3 different unique id's if they use multiple computers or profiles without copying their credentials. Finding and removing these identities from permission lists could prove to be more complicated than certain people want to deal with.

well Draygo posted the very first valid point after 3 Pages... but even so you can easily remove the permissions by removing that Client from the Server and ChannelGroups it may have been in by just using the rights manager in the Client. You could aswell ban that Client by its DatabaseID, UId or delete it entirely from the Database. Clients are displayed by their used Nickname aswell as their Database ID (which is unique for each server) so even if he used a mimic Nickname when he last joined the Ts3 Server and then (rage) quit the clan you would still be able to delete the correct Client from the Permissions by the Database iD

Question How do I prevent people from using my nickname in TS3?

Hi,

Without the login/password structure, I can't see how I can prevent people from using my nickname.

In TS2 I could register my name with the server - that way other members could see that I am me.

But how would I do this in TS3?

I can't see how I can "reserve" my name in TS3.

Thanks!
    Mojo

this has been request a lot. I'm sure it's a low priority thing at the moment but there is no way to 'reserve' it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    this has been request a lot. I'm sure it's a low priority thing at the moment but there is no way to 'reserve' it right now.
    Okey thanks ... we'll stick with TS2 then - we need to know who is who.

Mojo

Add them to your friends list. Then you'll see them as green and know who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    Add them to your friends list. Then you'll see them as green and know who is who.
    Well, it helps a bit, but it still doesn't solve his issue Would be helpful to be able to lock a username to an ID so that names of admins for example are protected.

I agree. Having the option to do username/passwords would be nice and also the ability to lock certain names to a UID.

Thread Information