Forum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

UID + Nickname filter is on our "Let's think about it and then ToDo it list"

Code:
    People on forum request this feature.
    They like to have a filter where you can enter a nick you like to save and a the Unique ID's. Only these user with these U_ID's can join or rename to that nick.

great... thx

Unique IDs for Users

Hi

Apologies if this is a dumb question or if I have missed a thread that discusses it, but there is one aspect of the permission system that I really can't understand. My understanding is this:

• An Identity has a unique ID
    • Once it is active on a server that ID is then used to assign permission to the user using it

This should mean that there is no need for password etc. However the unique ID for each users identity is visible to other users of the server, so why can't they just copy it and then use that identity to gain permissions that they shouldn't have?

The identity is based on a public/private key (google for it ). You can't take over an identity if you only have the public key.

Thanks.

I hadn't really twigged that the Unique ID field was uneditable (the UI actually suggests it is!) and that it didn't even appear directly in an export of the identity. It looks like the only risk would be someone exporting the identity from the client and taking it away with them - and that seems pretty easy to secure against!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    The identity is based on a public/private key (google for it ). You can't take over an identity if you only have the public key.
    However, i can log in to TS3 server with my friend nick name and he can log in with my nick name. We tried that last night.

How can we have our nick name protected so that no other users can use it?

There is no real solution yet.
    1 way to protect a nick is to grant user ignore ban permission, then you add the name on banlist. But this user can't get banned by others anymore.

A filter for nickname+ UId is requested.

As a follow up to this line of questions, suppose I have a couple of kids at home who sometimes want to use my computer and Teamspeak.

Since the ID is for the client, how can they log in with their own ID (and rights) while using my computer? Seems to me that they would automatically be assigned SuperAdmin rights, even if they change the Nickname. (And I REALLY don't want that).

The ID isn't for the client, is for the identity. In that case you could either set a different system account and install the client to use private configs instead of global ones or create a new identity for them and password protect yours

Thread Information