Forum

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I'm just curious. Does the idle time look at TS3 being idle, or the person's computer in whole.

I ask, because there are times when clients could be in a channel by themselves waiting for someone to join and not be performing any actions in TS3 for 10 to 30 minutes at times. If the idle time only monitors TS3 actions, and not mouse / keyboard input (same type of idle system it takes to kick your screen saver on) then people may be falsely moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Arterio View Post
    I'm just curious. Does the idle time look at TS3 being idle, or the person's computer in whole.

I ask, because there are times when clients could be in a channel by themselves waiting for someone to join and not be performing any actions in TS3 for 10 to 30 minutes at times. If the idle time only monitors TS3 actions, and not mouse / keyboard input (same type of idle system it takes to kick your screen saver on) then people may be falsely moved.
    TS3 being idle, aslong as you dont hit your PTT or change channels or anything you're detected as idle. An admin can even switch your channels and you'll be idle still.

That's the biggest problem with TS3 idling. No matter what system you use, you're limited to TS3's idea of idle time, which is incorrect. For most uses anyway.

Question To Devs

Quote Originally Posted by UF|Renegade|LTG View Post
    That's the biggest problem with TS3 idling. No matter what system you use, you're limited to TS3's idea of idle time, which is incorrect. For most uses anyway.
    Would the Dev's consider having two variables: Client System Idle Time(keyboard/mouse) and TS3 Idle Time checks?? Maybe have clients report to servers when Client System(no keyboard/mouse activity) has been idle for X (X set by the server)? That way the server isn't having to poll the client, but can set idle time thresholds that server side pluggins can act on when cleint reports it's been inactive based on X variable?

Example: John's TS3 Server
    Server's Client System Idle Time: 30 Minutes

Bob logs into Johns TS3 server and gets the Client System Idle Time from server.

30 Minutes go by (no mouse or keyboard movement) and Bobs client reports to the server that the 30 minute threshold set on the server has been met.. Now, server side plugin 1 can decide to move / kick / or even change his description to 'DA SLACKER!"

Thinking about it, this is probably something similar to what they do for TS3 Idle Times, but would just like to see it expanded to Client System Idle Times (mouse/keyboard use)
    Last edited by Solamar; January 18th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.

Rule #1 of server building: Never ever trust your clients.
    Whatever you receive from client can be faked easily.

True, but only when it matters. If someone wants to send a fake idle time to TS3, whatever. It's not going to compromise a server, just prevent this from working properly. I'd probably ask why they're doing it, but it's not like they're feeding the client some information that will cause the server to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Rule #1 of server building: Never ever trust your clients.
    Whatever you receive from client can be faked easily.
    Well, we don't know the security concerns the dev team has.. I, myself, wouldn't consider idle time tracking as critical to security. Some things you have to trust the client for in a client/server environment. In the end it's up to the devs, but I hope they consider it an option.

As long as the devs think it's viable and willing to do it, I know I'll be happy to test it.

I CAN tell you that Vent does something very similar to this now, but I donno about mumble and others. I've a guildie that can't/doesn't use a mic (she's mute), so keying up .. well, no point.. and getting kicked all the time because she's not changing channles or talking while chatting / playing ingame would be frustrating.. adding keyboard/mouse activity monitoring to client I think should be done at a minimum.

If we have to make server mods/add-ons to take advantage of it, so be it..
    Last edited by Solamar; January 19th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    Auto move if idle won't be implemented by devs.
    I dont think anyone understands why not at the very least...

If Idle greater than X move to chan Y

if Idle greater than Z then kick.

I keep hearing "Wont be implemented by Devs" but I can't think of a single reason why not.

Quote Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
    I dont think anyone understands why not at the
    I keep hearing "Wont be implemented by Devs" but I can't think of a single reason why not.
    I agree. To bad, I rather just have the feature build in then go and figure out how to install this bot.

Quote Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
    I dont think anyone understands why not at the very least...

If Idle greater than X move to chan Y

if Idle greater than Z then kick.

Its pretty much PAR for the course on Teamspeak 3, its an OK voice chat, and has lots of potential. However when it comes to simple little things as an Idle timer you get the "DEV'S WONT IMPLEMENT" answer. Well to me when I see "DEV'S WONT IMPLEMENT" I right away think and translate that into "DEV'S ARE LAZY!" People say it would be a security issue, but it wouldn't because what they are going to hack themselves to move to an AFK channel. This is NOT going to help them hack a Teamspeak server! ROFL

Simple features like this is all that would take for a huge portion of the community to use TS3, yet we get the "DEV'S WONT IMPLEMENT" answer!

I agree that this needs to be in TS3 and NOT a dang server side mod! It also needs to be done by mouse and keyboard, not if your talking or not. I was not aware that it was if your are talking or not, but this will make TS3 totally unusable by most MMO's due to some people really don't have a mic, and will join to get the orders they need. Last thing you need is in the middle of a fight they disconnect!!! ROFL FAIL

P.S. I know the Dev's are not lazy, just what it makes me think.
    Last edited by BreeOge; March 7th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Why should a Dev write the code for this when community members have already done this? How exactly is an idle mover supposed to work if it is not a server side mod? You'd have to ensure that every client had a client side plug-in installed and turned on. If you have a problem with the idle timeout then use your brain to fix it instead of coming in here and flaming the devs for not doing something that's already been created. Basically all I see is "I'm too lazy to think so I'll just go rant in the forums."

http://addons.teamspeak.com/director...erver-Bot.html

And it has been said that that BOT dont work, it only notices if the user has hit the talk button or changed channels... Not if the keyboard or mouse is running. As stated before in this exact thread!

You'd have to ensure that every client had a client side plug-in installed and turned on
    WOW really? Hrmm it seems that every other chat program on the market right now has no problem with this, and there is NO client side plugin! imagine that. It must be MAGIC!!! OoooOooooo

I will give the BOT IE Take up more system resources a try to see if the problem with the mouse and keyboard has been fixed since the date of this thread.

EDIT* I tried the Bot and it does work, however it only works if you chat in teamspeak, if you happen to not have a mic or not talking, it will boot you to the AFK channel even tho you are playing and listening to everyone. This was a big F Up in our raid tonight, when like half the raid just got moved to the AFK channel because they had not said anything in awhile. Had to stop the raid and get everyone back in the correct channel.

I would even be for this bot, but TS3 needs to have the ability to check for mouse movements and then post that as Idle, not if its actually had talk.
    Last edited by BreeOge; March 9th, 2011 at 04:07 AM.

there is NO client side plugin!
    This is common sense because if it were client side every user would have to have it installed. This is why this function would have to be server side to be of any real use.

I suggest you open a dialog with the creator of the bot and maybe your concerns will be addressed. If you do so in the manner in which you have done here I can assure you your concerns will fall on deaf ears.

In reality what harm does it do to leave an AFK member in the channel they are in. If they forget to mute their mic you or another client simply moves this member out of your channel to the AFK channel or you just kick that client.

As for TS3 checking for other functions such as mouse movements besides talk maybe you should search the forums and if it hasn't been presented to the devs submit a thread in the suggestions forum. This would obviously be useful even for the current idle permission within TS3. No guarantee it will be implemented but you can always ask.

Auto kick of inactive users

Hello Community

I have a question

On my Servers are Users AFK for 3 and more hours (1 day)... I want to kick they automactly!

Is there a option for this... or what can i make to kick the users automactly!

thx seth

When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thread Information