Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Clients can't connect to my Server?

Ok, i'm a Teamspeak Newb =D I used to use Teamspeak back around 4 years ago when Teamspeak was really popular for playing World of Warcraft, and now have gotten back into World of Warcraft with a friend of mine and am trying to set up a Teamspeak Server, All went ok, i used the Server file, logged in using localhost as the Address and 9987 as the Port, all was good, used my Token, set myself up as an Admin, i also set up 30033 and 10011 as TCP and 9987 as UCP, or it might be the other way around? I dunno, i followed the Tutorial (Yay for Tutorials, else i'd be asking you why my server is just a black screen, haha)

Now, my dilema, my friend can't connect? I realise its my External IP address they need, so went to whatsmyip.com or whatever it is and got it, sent it to them, with the Port 9987 again, and they got a Failed to connect message... Any ideas why peoples?

Thanks in Advance!

port fowarding

you have to foward the server port thru your firewall AND through your router firewall. if you are able to connect from another computer on your network then you are getting thru the computer firewall and neet to foward the port thru your router firewall. to do this type your router's ip.

your router's ip will be your computers ip with the last set of numbers replaced with a 0 or a 1. for example if your computer's ip is: 192.168.1.20 then your router ip would be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0

common router ip addresses are: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 172.16.0.1, but some routers are a little strange.

once you get into your router's interface you will need a password. look up your router's model # on google to find the default password.

once you are in it really depends on your router but you want to foward the teamspeak port thru the firewall. http://portforward.com/ is a good resource.

it takes a while to figure out but once you do that knowledge can be translated to other routers. if you are using an ISP issued router it may be easier than a router you bought and they might walk you through it.

also since most ISPs give you a dynamic ip addres you may want to set up a dynamic DNS: http://www.dyndns.com/

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbox1234567 View Post
    your router's ip will be your computers ip with the last set of numbers replaced with a 0 or a 1. for example if your computer's ip is: 192.168.1.20 then your router ip would be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0
    First, device address can't end in .0 - ever.
    Second, router address, likely, will be the address of your default gateway.
    ipconfig /all

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    First, device address can't end in .0 - ever.
    Second, router address, likely, will be the address of your default gateway.
    ipconfig /all
    correct...sorry brain fart there. i meant the third group...

also true but in some operating systems including versions of windows the ip is more accessible

I said already.
    Code:
    [C:\]$ipconfig /all

Настройка протокола IP для Windows

Имя компьютера  . . . . . . . . . : ...
            Основной DNS-суффикс  . . . . . . : ...
            Тип узла. . . . . . . . . . . . . : неизвестный
            IP-маршрутизация включена . . . . : нет
            WINS-прокси включен . . . . . . . : нет
            Порядок просмотра суффиксов DNS . : ...

3Com EtherLink XL - Ethernet адаптер:

DNS-суффикс этого подключения . . :
            Описание  . . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
            Физический адрес. . . . . . . . . : ...
            Dhcp включен. . . . . . . . . . . : нет
            IP-адрес  . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
            Маска подсети . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.240
            Основной шлюз . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2 <---==== My DSL router is my default gateway now
            DNS-серверы . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12

[C:\]$

I have done the Port Forwarding on my Router previously (mine is what you called a weird one, its 192.168.1.254, haha) I'm a newb to MS-DOS etc.. but not a complete newb, haha.

I'm going to set one up using the old TS2 and see if my mate can connect to that, using the TS2 Client version, if I can't get TS3 working. Hopefully that will work, if not, MEH.

Just seems strange that i appear to be the only one with these connection issues, although, it could be that its my friend's computer not connecting as opposed to my computer not hosting.

Perhaps someone else is willing to try connecting into my server? I'm currently connected using localhost:9987 and my External IP is
    86.161.34.243:9987
    (Thats for Teamspeak 3, i've uninstalled TS2 for now as i couldn't seem to connect to my TS3 Localhost when TS2 was installed, but upon uninstallation of TS2 it

For anyone else able to try to help, a quick summary of what i've done:
    Opened server
    Connected via localhost:9987
    Used Token
    Port Forwarding via Router of 10011 30033 as TCP and 9987 UCP, i did it according to the Tutorial.

I think thats about it really. If i have missed a painfully obvious step i do apologise.

Oh yeah, not sure if its related or not, i downloaded Putty as per the Tutorial, but that didn't seem to work? I don't think i need it though really do i? my Teamspeak is only going to be for me and my friend to play World of Warcraft, i don't intend on having anyone else access it, atleast for now anyway.

EDIT ---

Oh, sidenote, when setting up my Router Firewall, i added the Ports and it asked for a reason why, so i selected Internet Relay Chat, i understand that its not what it is, as that is more aimed at IRC chats such as mIRC (going back in the day, haha) However figured so long as the Ports are opened appropriately it doesn't really matter? Am i wrong in that thinking?

RE-EDIT ---

Hmm, just come across this in my Router's Attack Log.

View Attack Details
    Internet Domain:
    Internet Address: 86.161.34.243
    Today This Week
    Total Attacks Blocked 4 7
    High Risk 0 0
    Med Risk 0 0
    Low Risk 4 7
    UDP Port Scan Detected, Packet Dropped 4 7

The Internet Address is my IP address, so so far as i'm aware I'm not trying to attack my own network.. it says UDP Port Scan Detected Packet Dropped... Could that be its detected someone trying to connect through my IP address so blocked them?
    Last edited by Labinopper; December 29th, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: More info.

ts3server://86.161.34.243:9987/

<16:00:12> Connecting to server 86.161.34.243:9987
    <16:00:19> Failed to connect to server

ts3server://86.161.34.243:9987/

<16:00:12> Connecting to server 86.161.34.243:9987
    <16:00:19> Failed to connect to server
    Yeah, that's the exact error my mate gets. My server is definately up, the IP I gave you is what I get from www.whatismyip.com and the port must be active as that's what I use to connect. I use localhost:9987. Makes little sense eh?

Am at work now but will be back on around half 10 to fiddle with the server some more. Any messages would be absolutely wonderful. :-D

You have to port forward (Virtual server) 9987/udp from router to your PC. And make sure it allow connections in firewall.

only thing that worked for me was binding the TS3 server to the IP the server machine
    gets from the router in my command line. your router should tell you the ip assigned to that machine.

command line for 32 bit windows server
    ts3server_win32.exe" voice_ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx query_ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx filetransfer_ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

x = ip of server from router

You don't need that.
    By default, TS already bound to ALL IP in system.

You have to port forward (Virtual server) 9987/udp from router to your PC. And make sure it allow connections in firewall.
    Ok, so what I have done previously isn't correct I presume? So I've accessed my router set up 10011 and 30033 as TCP and 9987 as UDP to connect straight to my computer, and selected the category/reason as internet relay chat. What should I have done or what should I do aswell? I have always forwarded ports using that method previously.
    You said about virtual server, should I have set it up as that instead of as internet relay chat?

Quote Originally Posted by Labinopper View Post
    Ok, so what I have done previously isn't correct I presume? So I've accessed my router set up 10011 and 30033 as TCP and 9987 as UDP to connect straight to my computer, and selected the category/reason as internet relay chat. What should I have done or what should I do aswell? I have always forwarded ports using that method previously.
    You said about virtual server, should I have set it up as that instead of as internet relay chat?
    do you have your host set up as a dmz host? i know my router requires that even if i forward the port...the only port you need to forward is 9987. the others are not needed for general chatting. try setting your computer as a dmz host and/or disabling your router firewall temporarily and try again

Quote Originally Posted by pillbox1234567 View Post
    do you have your host set up as a dmz host? i know my router requires that even if i forward the port...the only port you need to forward is 9987. the others are not needed for general chatting. try setting your computer as a dmz host and/or disabling your router firewall temporarily and try again
    Right, I will have to give that a try later as I'm away from my computer at the moment. I'll let you know the status laters around 11PM GMT.
    Ps so far as I'm aware my computer isn't set up as a dmz host, so will try setting that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Labinopper View Post
    Right, I will have to give that a try later as I'm away from my computer at the moment. I'll let you know the status laters around 11PM GMT.
    Ps so far as I'm aware my computer isn't set up as a dmz host, so will try setting that later.
    alrighty let us know if it works

Thread Information