Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Is TS3 really worth the upgrade? Want honest opinions.

I've been using TS for a long, long time, as many other people here have. I've hosted a TS2 server for the past 3 years, and am now looking at the option of upgrading. I simply want to hear from people on the forums, in your opinion, is TS3 worth me spending 15 extra bucks to get?

If it isn't at this point of development, do you believe it would be wiser to wait. and continue using the stable TS2?

If higher sound quality, a more feature rich experience, and high level of customizability sound really good to you, then it's worth switching. If you're just fine with the same old, then stick with TS2.

do you want VHS or bluray?

Lower latency, better sound quality. Free upgrade on darkstar. Wasn't a hard choice to make.

answer

if i was going to pay extra money for a server i would not pay for ts3 yet. i would wait tell they work some of the bugs out of it. I am still in shock how companies would charge people to host beta software that is not complete yet. about every day there is a new beta release for the server which in turn would mean a lot of updating your server to keep it current right now. i am not saying ts3 is not good software because they did a good job on it. in the end it is your call on this my server that i am hosting has ran pretty smooth since beta 7 release and the voice quality is great. Im waiting to switch my main server from ts2 to ts3 that is running on linux. As of right now i am running my ts3 server on a beta box under windows tell we get out of beta.

Nothing wrong IMHO with being charged by a provider just because its beta. I mean... what else should we expect when they are using their own bandwidth to supply the servers? Should they be expected to just hand out 100 slot servers for free because its in beta? Regardless of beta or not... the primary part of it (voice communication) works fine. Some bugs here and there (which is expected) and a hard to grasp permissions system, but nothing that would warrent them to absorb the cost of bandwidth and hand out free servers.

i am not saying that they should give out server slots. what i am saying is the fact that we are still early in the game and i don't think that host providers should be even offering ts3 hosting as a option tell it has aged a little. What if host providers offer hosting right out the door to unstable software that the client is paying good money for. is it right to take money from people under the knowledge that it is not a finished product yet? would you lease a prototype car that had bugs and didnt always get you to work and pay full price for something that was not totally worked out yet?.

just stating my own:P

~rage

Quote Originally Posted by ***R.A.G.E.*** View Post
    i am not saying that they should give out server slots. what i am saying is the fact that we are still early in the game and i don't think that host providers should be even offering ts3 hosting as a option tell it has aged a little. What if host providers offer hosting right out the door to unstable software that the client is paying good money for. is it right to take money from people under the knowledge that it is not a finished product yet? would you lease a prototype car that had bugs and didnt always get you to work and pay full price for something that was not totally worked out yet?.

just stating my own:P

~rage
    Understand exactly what your saying... but I personally have no issues with paying for a beta. Now of course if it had so many bugs that the basic feature of "voice communication" didn't work or not properly work... then I would complain to my host if I was renting and cancel my order.

And also keep in mind that unless your 99 cents short of a dollar... the word beta is visable everywhere and for someone to go and pay money means they are aware of it are willing to take the risk and nobody is twisting their arm. now if a provider tried advertising it without stating beta and was somehow able to not show the beta build for the server... then I could see it being an issue.

I am yet to have a bug that caused teamspeak3 not to work.

My clan is renting TS3. Sofar it's an inprovement in sound quality and latency, but not in management. The token and powersystem is really annoying. I used to do everything from my webpanel. Now i have to do everything with %@#%@! tokens. Also all member/groep/channel serversetting can be set from the client with admin right. Unfortunally the writers didn't bother writing a manual for TS3

Thread Information