Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No, its not the same, not even close. Since the important part of havinga a password tied to the user is that he can login from any computer he'd like.

Now, if I send him a token and he uses it at home, then at a friend he logs on to say hello or something, he'd be unregistered if he havent exported his UID and put it somewhere so he can get it imported on his friends computer.

I for example reinstalled my PC. I thought all info would stay in my client since it was installed on a nother partition than my operating system. So when I reinstalled windows and then installed the TS client, I just installed it over the files from my old install. It didnt work that way and my UID got lost. Since the server was on my computer and I was the highest "ranked" admin, I had to start over with a new server cause it was no way to log back with my rights.

A password tied to the login instead of a file would have made it possible for me to log in as admin anyway. And saved me alot of work...

I for example reinstalled my PC. I thought all info would stay in my client since it was installed on a nother partition than my operating system. So when I reinstalled windows and then installed the TS client, I just installed it over the files from my old install. It didnt work that way and my UID got lost. Since the server was on my computer and I was the highest "ranked" admin, I had to start over with a new server cause it was no way to log back with my rights.
    This is where being able to EXPORT your ID is a good thing. Then you can take that ID and use it on ANY computer you want. Store a copy in your e-mail account or something and then you can access it anywhere.

It's a good thing if you actually done it. But trying to get members between 14-60 to actually export them, thats a different thing. Much easier when they only needed to rememeber their login/pass. And if thay forgot their pass an admin could easily go in and change it for them.

Haing to create new tokens everytime someone looses his/hers fills upp the servergroups with garbage...

As an admin you should educate your members on exporting their ID. If the members are not willing to do that who says they can/will create a secure password?? The server will purge IDs that have not logged on after a set time period. I think the default is 30 days.

In TS2 I as an admin could make the passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by sketaful View Post
    for starters, this means you didn't even understand how TS3 work.

when you were installing the client, you were given the option where the config are saved, since you decided NOT to save your config file inside the TS3 folder, you are responsible to remember to back the info up before formatting.

secondly, so after reformatting the comp, you lost your identity, and you lost all your rights. YOU ARE STILL THE ONE WHO HOSTS THE SERVER. Which means you still have the option to log in as serveradmin via telnet to port 10011, and use the commands to re-assign your group/rights back.

Lastly, fine, if you were careless and never bother to write down/save the serveradmin password, there is still --> THIS <-- to recover it.

Quote Originally Posted by sketaful View Post
    But trying to get members between 14-60 to actually export them, thats a different thing. Much easier when they only needed to rememeber their login/pass.
    Right, or an easier way, having them install the TS3 client to their USB drive and carry them on the go, then there's nothing to worry about.

So stop it already. the options were there, it's just that you never bother understanding it.

I agree. I want to know who I am typing messages too when they say "oh my mic is broken" when they have the same name as my friend does. If someone uses the same name as someone who is connected it adds a number at the end. You could use that same mechanism if someone uses a registered nickname.

we will add something in the near future which solves this type of issues.

Very nice. Something really needs doing about it. I hate joining my server and finding my name is Morthawt1 because someone thought it was funny to come in with my name.

Thread Information