Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solved There needs to be a way to register nicknames with the server

As it is, being able to connect with any name or even change your name around to whatever you feel like is a bad idea.

There needs to be a method to tie (and restrict) a user to a name they pick when first connecting to the server. Or at least add it in as a permission for specific groups. Something like: 'can_reserve_uname' & 'can_change_uname' so that if someone tries connecting to the server under their username, it isn't allowed. Or if that identity tries connecting with a different name, it reverts them back to their reserved one.

Hmm... not a bad idea.
    I know there will probably be some undesired name changes by players or visitors that is undesirable.

Yeah. Register names like in TS2 is missed.
    I run a server for a big clan and I want to be able to register their names.

No need for IP or ID. Only names.

Absolutely agreed.

Cheers!

Luke

I believe that is what contacts are for.

When you add a person as a contact, you can set their nickname and how it is displayed.

So whenever they come back it is displayed the same.

I also requested in another post the ability to send contacts to other users/contacts.

Even if the list can be used in that way, it still isn't good for larger groups of people. I don't really want all 200something people stored on my contact list just to keep track of them.

You can also add a description with the real nickname. This is visible for everyone.

But for private servers just add a rule not to use unknown fantasy names. And when you see someone with a unknown name, just ban him. Its easy and he will never do this again .

I would point you people in one of the threads on this forum which was already talking about this, but the thing is link is no longer valid cuz they maybe removed thread idk, just cannot find it.

in short: point is that theres description for this purpose from what I understood. It doesnt have to be nickname,thus someone might change on status(IRC like) basis. (Mike_shopping Mike_drunk Mike_DnD Mike_holiday Mike_conference Mike_videocall)

seems we have 2 threads with the same theme going

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...760#post213760

This feature can easily be implemented with the telnet interface.
    Example: http://pastebin.com/m7e4495fc

It doesn't matter if you can force an ID to have a special name or not. That's not what I miss. If you put someone in your friend-list or force their ID to keep a special name, it's still tied to the computer they used when they signed up.

I miss the way every name could be registered with it's own unique password and nothing else. This way the user could login from home as a registered memeber but if he was at a friends place or something he could borrow a computer there. Log in with his name/pass and he would be registered the same.

Now you have to export your userfile and import it on your friends computer. You have a pass for the server, but not the username and anyone login in from that computer afterwards would be registered under the same ID even if they change their nick.

Which leads me to another question. How do you log in as a different user from the same machine you logged in first? Since it doesn't matter that you change your nick, it still recognize you as the same user, how do you do it? Is it even possible without alot of "fiddling"?

Quote Originally Posted by sketaful View Post
    Yeah. Register names like in TS2 is missed.
    TS2 was never able to register or reserve nicknames...

Quote Originally Posted by sketaful View Post
    Which leads me to another question. How do you log in as a different user from the same machine you logged in first? Since it doesn't matter that you change your nick, it still recognize you as the same user, how do you do it? Is it even possible without alot of "fiddling"?
    create a new identity...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickW View Post
    TS2 was never able to register or reserve nicknames...
    Well, call it what you like. As serveradmin you created a loginname and password and u could send it to a member. He then used that name and pass from whatever computer he wanted without the need of anything more than the ts client and his memory (if he didnt write the login/pass down)

I miss that. Blocking everone that didnt have a name/pass, or setting a pass for the server and a different för registered. ohwell...

It is a more complicated and different in TS3 but what you want is still possible. You can set a random server password and create a group with the ability to ignore the server password. Then you give out tokens for this group.

Thread Information