Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problems with voice codecs and bandwidth

Hello,

at first thank you very much for releasing Teamspeak 3, the new features are very much appreciated

Unfortunately we have a problem with the new teamspeak 3 voice codecs. Some off our users are on low bandwidth connections, with 48 KBit downstream and 8 KB upstream.

We are using the 16 Khz Speex codec in Quality 4 (3,66 KB) which has about the same up/downstream if 1 person is talking (about 4 KB/s) like the Teamspeak 2 Speex 25.9 codec (meassured with cfos).

Now there are the following problems:

The voice quality in TS 3 is notably worse. This translates to crystalizing sounds, robot voices or a complete lack in voice transmission.

Also, while someone is talking in Teamspeak 3, our users have latency issues with other running programs (World of Warcraft in this case, but also when running an online bandwidth check).

None of these problems are occuring when our users run Teamspeak 2, they can communicate perfectly fine, without latency or voice quality issues.

While trying to troubleshoot we made the following observation:

One of our users starts a download, which runs at about 48 KB, which is his maximum line speed.

If he talks in Teamspeak 2 his download speed goes down to about 40-43 KB and he can understand other people relatively good. He has some small interruptions, but these do not reduce the voice quality, just some of the voice is skipped and he can still talk and hear relatively good.

If he talks in Teamspeak 3 his download speed doesnīt reduce notably at all, it stays at about 46-47 KB and he can neither understand other people talking nor can other people understand what he says. His voice also sounds very bad (robot like, interrupted).

Now Iīm no expert, but it seems to be the case, that Teamspeak 2 somehow has the ability to reserve some minimum bandwidth to keep the voice communication active while Teamspeak 3 does not.

I know TS 3 is still beta, but with this issues itīs currently unusable for us and I would really love to use the new features of TS 3. Did anyone experience the same issues, especially with low bandwidth clients?

Thanks in advance for any support, we will still use Teamspeak 2 until there is a solution for this problem.

We've experienced the same Problems.

Users with low bandwidth internet-connections complain about ingame latency and bad voice quality.

Is it possible to implement a bandwidth limiting/reserving feature like in ts2 or some static Codecs from ts2?

Experiencing the same issues on my own server. I am hosting 2 TS2 servers and have had up to around 30 people connected between the both of them with no issues, but my TS3 server has had only about 5-7 people connected on it with garbled communications at times using the speex ultra-wideband (32khz) codec.

got the same problem. i think this thread describes the same thing http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=46609

I think I may have the same problem. But I did a net test and did some troubleshooting with some of my clan mates. It doesn't appear to be my bandwith. Teamspeak 2 works just fine. However, when I try to speak on Teamspeak 3 it sounds like someone trying to beatbox horribly. And when I have both ts2 and ts3 running ts2 gets chopping and cuts my voice out.

this sounds very familiar to me. i living in a small village without dsl or other broadband internet, so i have to use isdn. with ts2 it was possible to play my onlinegames without any big problems. iīve used the speex 9,3 kb codec and all works fine for me. itīs impossible to play now with ts3. if i chose the smallband option, the sound is very awful in all settings. at the second level and the lowest setting the same. it is not possible to understand someone in game. and if we set the qualitysetting higher, the game and the voice is absolutly laggy. i hope you will let us smallbanduser to use this tool once, because it has very good and usefull functions. i donīt want to miss it any longer.

Try using another Speex codec, those are for people with a lower bandwidth.

ok, i donīt want to write it all again if you means me. but weīve tried all codecs. the speex with 8khz was just a bad joke. this was still a bit laggy, but the voice was very hard to understand. with the 16 khz the voicequality was a very bit better then the speex 9,3 kb in ts2 but it was laggy in games. this my problem. i hope iīve clarified my point now.

I have the same problem. I prefer using TS2 because the relation of bandwidth/quality in TS3 really fucks up. Beta fail

That's why it's called a BETA you idiot. So you come back and complain about what's wrong with the program so they can re-evaluate the final program and make some changes to the coding.

Wow, I honestly had no idea there were so many people that had super low bandwidth (dialup like). I am running the CELT 48khz at 10 quality on all channels and everything is super crisp and clear. I would like to know the difference between the CELT and the Speex Ultra Wideband, I know they say Speex Ultra Wideband is for voice and CELT is for music but is there any reason I shouldn't use CELT for voice? Are there some sort of advantage or enhancements of voice with Speex Ultra Wideband? They both sound the same to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Schlup View Post
    Wow, I honestly had no idea there were so many people that had super low bandwidth (dialup like). I am running the CELT 48khz at 10 quality on all channels and everything is super crisp and clear. I would like to know the difference between the CELT and the Speex Ultra Wideband, I know they say Speex Ultra Wideband is for voice and CELT is for music but is there any reason I shouldn't use CELT for voice? Are there some sort of advantage or enhancements of voice with Speex Ultra Wideband? They both sound the same to me...
    I would say the biggest difference is the CELT 48 uses more bandwith. If they sound the same to use, then use the Speex unless you have unlimited bandwith.

Personally, i tested em out with my clan yesterday and the majority opinion was the Speex sounded better with voice. But in the end, it is whatever you and your users prefer.

CELT codec fail here completely. Voice of some people is completely distorted and I can't understand anything they say.

TS3 voice quality, for Speex, regardless of settings, is lower than in TS2. Since voice quality is most important factor, I think that TS2 is better so far for averange user. I hope that sound quality realted problems will be corrected until final version. Now we stay with TS2...

Quote Originally Posted by CobraPL View Post
    CELT codec fail here completely. Voice of some people is completely distorted and I can't understand anything they say.

TS3 voice quality, for Speex, regardless of settings, is lower than in TS2. Since voice quality is most important factor, I think that TS2 is better so far for averange user. I hope that sound quality realted problems will be corrected until final version. Now we stay with TS2...
    I find many of these types of comments surprising. I'm not doubting that some people are having issues. I'm curious as to the cause though.

I know for my clan we all agree 100% that TS3 sounds better. People sound like they do when you call them on the phone. Unlike TS2. Whenever i talk to a buddy on the phone then listen to him on TS2 he just doesn't sound the same. Clear? Yes, but not as he should sound like i get with TS3.

48 KBit downstream and 8 KB upstream

What the hell? Ive seen faster dial up.... FAIL...

Thread Information