Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Channel Admin can create Sub-Channels in other channels

Hi,

I've just noticed, that some permissions in Channel Groups have global effects. Like:

- Channel Admin is able to create Sub-Channels in other channels if "Create sub channel" is on.

- Channel Admin can move Guests all around the server if moving is enabled and Guest needed_cliend_move_power is not set

- Channel Admin can kick Guests from server if kicking and moving are enabled. (it is not possible to kick from channel only)

Did I miss something here?
    Last edited by Slater; December 31st, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Channel permissions and channel group permissions grant server-wide permissions. This is intended by the developers, though it seems an unexpected behaviour for all that are new to the TS3 permission system. See also this thread:
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=48186

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Channel permissions and channel group permissions grant server-wide permissions. This is intended by the developers, though it seems an unexpected behaviour for all that are new to the TS3 permission system. See also this thread:
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=48186
    Ok, but if I'm a Channel Admin of room "Y" only, why can I move people into room "Z" and why can I create subchannels in room "Z"? It should work only if I'm a Channel Admin in room "Y" and "Z" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Ok, but if I'm a Channel Admin of room "Y" only, why can I move people into room "Z" and why can I create subchannels in room "Z"? It should work only if I'm a Channel Admin in room "Y" and "Z" too.
    It is that way because the developers wanted it to be that way. It is not a bug - it is a feature. There are not many users that like that feature, though. As I already wrote - if you get permissions to do something, you can do it server-wide. So please keep away from channel permissions and channel group permissions, if you do not like this behaviuor.

I don't really think that developers wanted this behavior because it's meaningless.

From the official docs:

All channel specific permissions that can logically be applied to a channel scope are only valid within the channel scope. For example if a channel specific permission gives you a high i_client_kick_power value, you can only use this to kick clients that are in this channel, not clients that are in other channels.
    So either you are wrong or this whole system is just crazy. If I'm not a member of Channel Admin in channel "X" I shouldn't have the right to create subchannels, but I can if I'm a Channel Admin somewhere else! As you know you can assign Channel Admin to a member in any channel separately. So it is server-wide ONLY in channels where I'm a Channel Admin. This is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    It is that way because the developers wanted it to be that way. It is not a bug - it is a feature. There are not many users that like that feature, though. As I already wrote - if you get permissions to do something, you can do it server-wide. So please keep away from channel permissions and channel group permissions, if you do not like this behaviuor.
    These are not server-wide if setup correctly! Please do not talk bullshit!
    The only bad thing about these, is kick doesn't have the option to see the difference of kick from channel, and kick from server.

Please indeed note that if you kick a client from channel y where you are not channel admin it should not work, if you are channel admin in channel y it should work, no matter where you are on the server.

If you have the issue that you can kick the client in a different channel where you do not have channel admin rights, please strip the channel admin rights and try if you can kick the person again. (if you can still kick him, its not channel admin permissions.)

please explain the problem more clearly so we can help you better. (aka try out things, and tell here what you tried and what happened, with the errors/results)

None of my channel admins have server-wide powers :S

Originally in Beta1-2 they did for some reason, but now they don't.

I am not sure if it's because of me re-doing all of the permissions but yes, none of them have server-wide powers.

KiLLers NL has done this think in his server, he showed me, but I can't do in mine :s
    you need to do a very clear tutorial.

The problem is that on your server when you get channel admin in one channel you got it in all...

And do you know how to change it?

I fail to see how this could possibly have been intended. If the channel group permissions and channel specific permissions apply server-wide it completely (read: 100%) defeats the purpose of such groups.

So if a member creates a channel they get the channel admin group in that channel, so now they have the ability to edit channels. This makes sense, they should be allowed to edit the channel they created. But wait, they can edit ANY channel? Why?

Can you name one scenario where channel groups applying server-wide is necessary. By necessary I mean 1. Accomplishes something you wanted, and 2. Can't be accomplished by other means (such as Server Groups).

Quote Originally Posted by KiLLers NL View Post
    The problem is that on your server when you get channel admin in one channel you got it in all...
    I just tested this, and it is indeed true. I fail to see how this should be a default permission setup. Maybe It is because I'm working with the default permission groups from beta 1. Who knows. All I know is that is not the correct behavior to have as default.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLLers NL View Post
    Tested right now, and the modify is working good, they can only edit their channel.

I just tested with latest Server Version (beta12 9596) and latest Client Version (beta9 9592) and it is still not working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    - Channel Admin is able to create Sub-Channels in other channels if "Create sub channel" is on.
    not confirmed

Thread Information