Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TS3 Server Installer And GUI ?

Will the new TS3 server ever come with a windows installer and GUI or will it always be this confusing?

You are kidding, right?

I agree with you, XtcruleZ.

It's (now) year 2010, where people build computers and servers with 8+ processor cores, 32GB ram, and so on, and so on.... yet we have a server program from one the long time leading VOIP institutions that is command shell based. WTF?

I'm greatly disappointed with this. Was TS2's web interface lacking in some areas for server management? Yes. Is TS3 lacking even more? Absolutely! There's no reason there couldn't be a professional looking install for starters, and nice GUI for server management. Don't get me wrong, I like the client's interface, features, and ability to manage the server from client-side.

This is just mine and XtcruleZ's opinion, but it's something that definitely needs to be brought under consideration. It's an extreme turn-off for any private server hosts and users.

Quote Originally Posted by claytonf View Post

It's (now) year 2010, where people build computers and servers with 8+ processor cores, 32GB ram, and so on, and so on.... yet we have a server program from one the long time leading VOIP institutions that is command shell based. WTF?

I'm greatly disappointed with this. Was TS2's web interface lacking in some areas for server management? Yes. Is TS3 lacking even more? Absolutely! There's no reason there couldn't be a professional looking install for starters, and nice GUI for server management. Don't get me wrong, I like the client's interface, features, and ability to manage the server from client-side.

This is just mine and XtcruleZ's opinion, but it's something that definitely needs to be brought under consideration. It's an extreme turn-off for any private server hosts and users.
    Actually, Hosts prefer commandline, as it doesn't waste resources on a GUI. I suggest reading up on server hosting. The simpler the better.

I don't want an installer, I don't want a GUI. I want it to work, and be able to be done through SSH.

I highly doubt you would ever see an installer package for server, as It just would be a waste as very few would use it.

Quote Originally Posted by claytonf View Post

You're right, it should not have any visual representation at all, it should just work.

Say thanks they made it at least this visible, dude.
    Server don't need any bells and whistles at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikobiko View Post
    Actually, Hosts prefer commandline, as it doesn't waste resources on a GUI. I suggest reading up on server hosting. The simpler the better.

I don't want an installer, I don't want a GUI. I want it to work, and be able to be done through SSH.

I highly doubt you would ever see an installer package for server, as It just would be a waste as very few would use it.
    I totally agree with this. I use a Mac to host my virtual server, WIN XP virtual machine. Only thing that I use the GUI for on windows is patching the box and stopping and starting the server.

GUIs only take processing power away from the applications which are currently running. If you want a program as good as TS3 to run right, you got to make sacrifices. And installing the application couldn't be easier anyhow. Copy paste from the downloaded zip file. There is no installer because there is no NEED for an installer. There are no registry modifications that are made. It's actually quite brilliant.

Oh, and if you'll take the time to look at the competition V*******, you'll see that, although it has a windows installer, it runs within a Command Line Interface too.

/end rant

Not to mention the fact that they will be adding a web interface later in the beta...

Quote Originally Posted by Malivil View Post
    Not to mention the fact that they will be adding a web interface later in the beta...
    Good point... but yeah the install is a joke... if you need a GUI for that then you shouldn't be attempting to host a TS3 server.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdresa View Post
    Good point... but yeah the install is a joke... if you need a GUI for that then you shouldn't be attempting to host a TS3 server.
    Why the F not??!! I have no problems running my current TS2 server, i have no problems running my dedicated game servers. (no, not the ones you rent, the ones you setup MANUALLY) they could have at LEAST made it setup like TS2.....that was easy, why did they go in the opposite direction with the new one? The fact that i dont fully understand SSH is irrelevant. You shouldnt need to have advanced voip knowledge to use this. Thanks for the support from you other guys as i see im not alone. Im sure TS3 is an excellent program, but it could have been made a little more user-friendly.

I run a bunch of game servers, and they are all command-line.

Quote Originally Posted by XtcruleZ View Post
    Why the F not??!! I have no problems running my current TS2 server, i have no problems running my dedicated game servers. (no, not the ones you rent, the ones you setup MANUALLY) they could have at LEAST made it setup like TS2.....that was easy, why did they go in the opposite direction with the new one? The fact that i dont fully understand SSH is irrelevant. You shouldnt need to have advanced voip knowledge to use this. Thanks for the support from you other guys as i see im not alone. Im sure TS3 is an excellent program, but it could have been made a little more user-friendly.
    TS 2 was a breeze to manage, it was simple and the web interface was nice. Remember too that this is a BETA version of the application. They are working on making things manageable via a GUI. Until then QQ more please. Overall I don't have to manage all that much via the CLI but it is the option that I CAN that makes it nice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malivil View Post
    I run a bunch of game servers, and they are all command-line.
    So are mine....i can get TS3 running and connectible...but i dont get how to manage the permissions and everything else, i guess the lack of a web interface is making it confusing for me to get all the permissions setup correctly.

please tell me you're kidding...

1. most server admins use command line. why waste the resources just cuz you have em.

2. if you can't unzip a file and double click on the exe then you have no business hosting a server.

3. they will have a web UI when RC1 comes out.

4. if you wanna be a beta tester expect things to be a little difficult and certainly don't come whining to the people that GAVE you the software that it's too hard. go back to ts2 until it's out of beta if it's that hard for you

Quote Originally Posted by XtcruleZ View Post
    So are mine....i can get TS3 running and connectible...but i dont get how to manage the permissions and everything else, i guess the lack of a web interface is making it confusing for me to get all the permissions setup correctly.
    All GUI is on client side, and already present.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbox1234567 View Post
    please tell me you're kidding...

1. most server admins use command line. why waste the resources just cuz you have em.

2. if you can't unzip a file and double click on the exe then you have no business hosting a server.

3. they will have a web UI when RC1 comes out.

4. if you wanna be a beta tester expect things to be a little difficult and certainly don't come whining to the people that GAVE you the software that it's too hard. go back to ts2 until it's out of beta if it's that hard for you
    Sincerely, GFY.

Thread Information