Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UF|Renegade|LTG View Post
    I like this solution except for one thing: What if you don't want your username and nickname to be the same? Not possible with this solution. You would have to create another table stating all usernames and their associated nicknames and on login, set the nickname to whatever is in that table. Then, you'd need to provide an external method to change your nickname in that table.
    In case of major paranoid admins, what I've suggested would be just fine. Indeed, there is no way how to use a separate nickname. But again, I've made that suggestion because it's the simplest possible "hidden feature" that would probably be just an additional 5 to 10 lines of code in ts3 server.

Ludwig expressed clearly that user/password auth will not be implemented, but I've suggested earlier in my last post that a modular authentication system might be also a good solution . The auth module (dll/so/whatever) will be built by us following some clear guidelines. Nothing more. TS Dev team can wash their hands clean when asked something like "I wanna use active directory auth, implement it in TS3 plix plox, or I wanna use PAM in TS3 plix plox" answering "Do it yourself , you have what you need".

Quote Originally Posted by MindcrimeNL View Post
    We also need the following requirement for the extra field:
    - The userID/userName property field (which we need to identify - not only in real time - a user between TS3 and external system/forum/cms), must not be editable by the connecting client himself (unless maybe if it is empty), only by server admin(s).
    that will be covered by an permission

Possible extra requirement:
    - The userID/userName property must be unique (if set?)
    if you need it unique, you can make it unique yourself via
    sql

- Can you provide us with a valid argument/reason why you wanted that Channel Admins can create subchannels everywhere in comparison to the old TS2 situation that this permission was only valid for specific channels for which they were assigned channel admin?
    i can provide you the info that this is a bug and is fixed already...

Quote Originally Posted by R. Ludwig View Post
    that will be covered by an permission
    Does that mean the solution you proposed will get implemented?

sorry to step in this late,

I Got a question that hasnt been illustraited or solved before.
    But this problem has got to do with the problems that have been said before in this thread.

For example, Can i give somebody an limit time an permission. so when sobody stops donating for our game team(non-profit) that there permission will change.

I think that the username/password is not the real problem. at least this is something where we can get around , like R. Ludwig is saying.

The real problem is that a single person can be more then 1 time in the database. so its get hard to handle a large group of members.

because of this problem its imposible to ban one individual.

For example , over the week im at my Uni house. at the weekend im at home. i forgot to import / export my account. this means that when i get banned at my uni house at friday morning , at friday afternoon i am back in again. i can see this getting a big securty risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Reintjan View Post
    The real problem is that a single person can be more then 1 time in the database. so its get hard to handle a large group of members.
    If the solutions proposed by R. Ludwig get implemented this is no longer a problem. Because you have a mapping "TS3 ID -> your system username" you can always query all identities mapped to a specific username.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    If the solutions proposed by R. Ludwig get implemented this is no longer a problem. Because you have a mapping "TS3 ID -> your system username" you can always query all identities mapped to a specific username.
    okey thats cool works for me

I managed to get around this username / password issue (and allow multiple clients for 1 system user) reasonably easily, with only a small amount of user input.

step 1. User logs in to TS using the same nickname as they're forum name. Users has no talk power or rights. (lets say Mikey)
    step 2. User logs into our forum / system and clicks on add client.
    System then asks them for their database id (let say 3).
    Step3. System connects to the TCP query port in using PHP and runs the serverquery: clientdbfind pattern=mikey
    serverquery result: cldbid=3
    Step4. Now the system has confirmed that cldbid is in fact the user mikey it adds the cldbid to that users record (along with any others it may have). and runs the server query: servergroupaddclient sgid={group here} clid=3

I know this system is not ideal but it works as well as it can with our system (with minimal difficulty for the user). And when a user is upgraded / downgraded on the forum, it just takes a simple query to download / upgrade all their clients with it. Instead of db modding, i'm just using serverquery via sockets instead.

I hope this gives someone else a little inspiration or has at least helped a little

You're all missing my point;

Users should not have to do anything, no tokens no nothing just put in there log in details from the site and we do it all programatically without them knowing.

Take for example. I log in on my deskop - I have SA, i log in on my laptop, I am a lowley user....

Can I access the SERVER PASS Variable via the SQL files for login? because if so, i can use this to do what i need.

I'd prefer not having to do anything that involves hacking around the existing auth system

@R. Ludwig: Will the changes you suggested be implemented?

Thank you Ralf for recognizing our needs and working on a solution that can meet them while keeping with your goals for the software. I've spent a little bit of time wondering how this will work, and how I can integrate this into my own setup that works around a userID/password. (FWIW, I am not using the TS3 client but using the client SDK to directly integrate into my software.)

Right now, my approach is to store the TS3 unique ID in the registry along with the user's credentials. If I don't detect the uniqueID, I use the SDK to generate one. When I log into my system, I send my credentials with the TS3 token. If authentication succeeds, I write the token to a table with the userID, so I can now guarantee that the token matches the userID.

Am I correct in assuming that a future TS3 server version will limit connections to a pre-defined subset of TS3 tokens, and I can restrict what nicknames users authenticating with said tokens can choose? I apologize if I've missed something, I want to assure I'm on the right track before I write more code on my end.

Cheers!

Luke

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this thread, and I have to agree that LuckyWS makes a valid point but seems to be overlooked. Why do we need to complicate things with these tokens and uniquid's, its not secure enough for sites of scale - if you could at least release a quick server query update where the client IP is provided then we can fashion authentication systems that are suitable, otherwise, in its current form its only useful for small clans and such. Please reconsider his suggestions.

I have to agree with LuckyWS, we need Authentication or it will all ed up in caos people getting the wrong permissions etc. As our teamspeak 2 server is setup we know who is who but with this new system you are offering is a little backward. All us communities who have been using teamspeak for years have a full intergration are being told to scrap it and do as we are told. Isnt it possible to use one of the suggestions in this thread?

Thanks
    CM

Quote Originally Posted by Ben'Jammin View Post
    LuckyWS makes a valid point but seems to be overlooked.
    R. Ludwig already suggested some changes that would solve the problem without introducing username/password authentication. We just have to hope those changes will get implemented

The suggestion made requires the users to do something technical. The simplest solution I have seen is to send the client IP via server query, and we can implement our own authentication system. I am also an administrator of a multi thousand user community ( Which is also highly multi lingual, meaning I am unable to talk to someone who does not speak English through using the "Token" suggestion ) and this is the only way I see fit to implement this kind of authentication.

The following suggestions would solve the problem. In the best case you just provide a link including the token on the users profile page on your website.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Ludwig View Post
    the client connect dialog/boomark dialog:
    • gets an extra field where you could put a token

ts3 url link:
    • can accept a token

new ts3 url link:
    • for creating a ts3 bookmark (with token)

Thread Information