Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Fmod Problem, any news?

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if there are any news on the problem with the fmod library. I tried to use TS3 today and had the same problem as many mentioned (100% Cpu usage, no sound, etc.)

I tried to use it on a Ubuntu 9.10 System.

mfg MaddinK

Sry, there is still no fix for this

Are guys from the FMOD team aware of this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by lord_phantom View Post
    Are guys from the FMOD team aware of this problem?
    TS3 team has submitted the bug to FMOD.

still a few issues:

Does Fmod check their Bugs/complaint list regulary?
    Does Fmod release periodic updates or do they release hotfixes?

Maby the TS3 team should personally contact FMOD via telephone as this could communicate the issue better to FMOD and have FMOD fix it faster.
    I really hope this issue gets resolved ASAP, and though TS3 dev team dosent have anything to do with this problem - they sure can help speed up the fix by appropriate communication.

Hi,

I posted the same question in the fmod Forum too. I got some help there. Maybe it helps you too:

http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12567

mfg Maddink

Odd.. I tried using the pasuspender tool mentioned, and now my client goes to 100% CPU instantly..

nice too see some progress with this.

Quote Originally Posted by azzy101 View Post
    nice too see some progress with this.
    I agree ..

Hi guys, I know some of you are getting annoyed with this issue but your cries are not going in vein. We are listening, currently we are trying to reproduce the problem here so it can be debugged, however Ubuntu 9.10 is working as expected for us on our test machines.

Firstly could anyone with problems check:
    http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    Specifically the section on third party applications that use ALSA (this is what FMOD does). Ensure you have it setup correctly and ALSA plugins (that has the PulseAudio plugin) is installed.

Currently I believe the problem is something different with the new version of PulseAudio that ships with Ubuntu 9.10, older versions of Ubuntu with PulseAudio did not have this problem.

One thing I would like to clarify, people say the CPU usage goes to near 100%, when this happens does the program still operate (albeit slowly?) does the audio still function (even if it is stuttering?).

Quote Originally Posted by FMOD_Mathew View Post
    Hi guys, I know some of you are getting annoyed with this issue but your cries are not going in vein. We are listening, currently we are trying to reproduce the problem here so it can be debugged, however Ubuntu 9.10 is working as expected for us on our test machines.

Firstly could anyone with problems check:
    http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    Specifically the section on third party applications that use ALSA (this is what FMOD does). Ensure you have it setup correctly and ALSA plugins (that has the PulseAudio plugin) is installed.

Currently I believe the problem is something different with the new version of PulseAudio that ships with Ubuntu 9.10, older versions of Ubuntu with PulseAudio did not have this problem.

One thing I would like to clarify, people say the CPU usage goes to near 100%, when this happens does the program still operate (albeit slowly?) does the audio still function (even if it is stuttering?).

For me, i could still listen and hear ( ubuntu 9.10 32bit) but the CPU was up at 97-100%, it would then eventually crash and the process would still be running and when trying to kill the process it took a lenghty period to do so.

As I use my TS3 to communicate with my friends during my World of Warcraft sessions and while sitting by my computer in general, I just find out that it's "Time to restart TS3" as I tell my friends and they laugh at me and blame me for using linux.

The software itself doesn't hang.
    No sound issues in any other software or decreased quality.
    TS3 function perfectly during the "issue".

As I've stated in other posts about this issue, this have never ever happened with any other software that uses PulseAudio. Only TS3. And I've been using Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' since late September 2009 on my desktop computer.

To me it is crucial that sounds works "as in windows". No complete silence in one software just because next software can't use sound due to some other "already using it".

Right now everything works perfectly for the stuff I use.
    * Youtube and flash-sound in general (Chrome)
    * Mangler (Ventrilo 3 client for linux since the original devs doesn't give a rats ass about us linux users.)
    * TeamSpeak 3 (Long wait, mindblowing on open beta release)
    * Spotify (Via Wine-pulse)
    * aMSN (Event sounds etc)
    * .. and probably some more software I've forgotten.

One thing I would like to clarify, people say the CPU usage goes to near 100%, when this happens does the program still operate (albeit slowly?) does the audio still function (even if it is stuttering?)
    When i start teamspeak 3 (after a reboot), it is behaving fine. If i go to Capture and press "Test Voice", everything is behaving as expected. After some time my microphone stops working. I suspect teamspeak is starting to use 100% CPU around this time. I can still listen and interact with the GUI. When i go to Capture -> Test Voice again, the program hangs. The GUI is non-responsive, but i can still listen to people. At this moment i have to kill the process. Whenever i start teamspeak 3 again, my microphone works for 10 seconds while i sound very 'robot-like'.

I am a newbie on Ubuntu, I couldn't find "/etc/asound.conf" or "~/.asoundrc", do i have to create those?

Ubuntu 9.10 is working as expected for us on our test machines.
    Try to launch Ubuntu under VirtualBox or other virtualization tool. My friend ran TS3 on latest Linux Mint and his CPU went to 100%. Host mashine was running Windows 7.

There are some issues with PulseAudio. I had the same problems with in my Fedora 12 box. At the moment, there is only one solution to fix this: remove the plugin PulseAudio for alsa. After removing this package it works fine for me, no high cpu usage and no stuttering sounds.

On Red Hat based systems (Fedora, CentOS, Enterprise Linux) use this command: yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

On ubuntu i think you need to use aptget for this.

Sorry, for my bad english. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji008 View Post
    There are some issues with PulseAudio. I had the same problems with in my Fedora 12 box. At the moment, there is only one solution to fix this: remove the plugin PulseAudio for alsa. After removing this package it works fine for me, no high cpu usage and no stuttering sounds.

On Red Hat based systems (Fedora, CentOS, Enterprise Linux) use this command: yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

On ubuntu i think you need to use aptget for this.

Sorry, for my bad english. Good luck
    What does 'alsa-plugin-pulseaudio' do?

Thread Information