Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Suggestion] - Individual Codec Selection

Hi,
    Since ive been using teamspeak quite a lot these days, i've come up with a (somewhat bigger and perhaps utopic) suggestion.

Basically i think it would be great if a user could (manually) choose the codec with which he/she uploads her voice.
    This would obviously imply that the data about which codec is used by which user would have to be transmitted to the clients but the benefit would be that even users who only have a small upload bandwidth could still talk in the same channel as other users with a higher upload bandwidth without them having to cut back on voice quality when talking to each other.
    It would then be the channel codec that sets the maximum usable codec and quality in the channel (to prevent causing to much traffic by users wo only speak in highest quality) Note : Any user having set a higher codec/quality as the standard channel setting would be forced to use the channel preset but anything lower than the channel preset could be freely used.

Now i know that this is quite difficult to implement in a system being already in beta and therefore probably wont be in any version, but i nevertheless think that it woult make a great addition to the program.

Thanks for reading
    Minz

One thing I like in TS3 is the voice quality. If clients can select a lower codec this will degrade the voice "experience" for the other users.

Having a high voice quality is nice and fine but remember that this is supposed to be a solution for people who right now cannot talk in channels using the high quality codecs (e.g. robotic voice due to packetloss)
    With TS3 as it is right now there are 2 ways to adress this problem:
    1. Lower the Codec/Quality of the whole Channel which implies that as you say the voice "experience" of all users will be degraded
    2. Exclude the unlucky guy/girl with the slow connection from your debate/talk/discussion since you cant hear what he/she says either way and are not ready or able to lower the codec/quality .

Well since i dont like either of these solutions i came up with that suggestion in the first post.
    If you absolutely must have a specific quality/codec there could still be a channel-option like "force use of codec :"

[SUGESTION] Channel Quality System

Hi,
    I have some problems on a WOW related TS3 server with ppl that are from Eastern European countries. Seems like they are still victims of the comunism and all the internet providers refuse to give a decent amount of upload bandwidth per normal user (not companys), which make is impossible for them to play wow and talk on Team Speak 3 in the same time, if a better quality codec is forced by the channel. If the codec chosen requires higher bandwidth they sound like robots.

The request might not be the best solution but I can give an idea about what would be nice to have:
    "Can you allow some of the users from one channel to use a different codec than the one enforced by that channel"?

Either allow 2 codec system and allow user to chose which one they want to use, but is kind of unfair for some of them to not be able to talk, but in the other hand is not nice that 95% of the guild has to use a worse codec for talking. Is not our fault but not theirs aswell, so I would appreciate to take this kind of feature into consideration.
    Thank You,
    Dan
    Last edited by Cerbul; January 29th, 2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos

personally i dont get people with internet connections so bad they cant upload 7kB/s and play games at the same time.

i agree with the function for users being able to select their own codec, its possible infact another voip program uses this system already.

Unfortunatelly is not in their power to change that, is just the way it goes into those countries.. I live in one aswell, and I am just happy to have a company based contract with them, otherwise I would have the same problem.
    So, any info on this please?
    I've noticed that into the configuration, you can select more codecs for a specific channel. Anyone can explain a bit how it works? It choses automatically the codec? Or?

as far as i know users can't specify a bandwidth. You can't pick different codecs for some users in Channel A and another codec for different users of the same channel.

The channel doesn't pick the best codec available, it just has a deafult setting. You can change it to whatever you want.

Thread Information