Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sub Channels and permission inheritance

Ok, I'm still testing and I've done a lot of searches but haven't figured this out yet. I figured out how to MAKE it work, but not how I WANT it to work. Hopefully I can have what I want.

I have my test channel set like this:

Root
    -Sub1
    -Sub2
    -Sub3

I have it working so that users of a specific channel group can create a sub channel in Sub1. That works. However, they can't create any sub-channels of that. So

Root
    -Sub1
    --SubSub1 (pass)
    ----SubSubSub1 (fail)
    -Sub2
    -Sub3

So in this case, the user cannot create SubSubSub1, but can create SubSub1 without a problem.

Basically any children channels have no permissions set. If I go in and assign the create Sub channel permission to SubSub1, then they can create the SubSubSub1 channel correctly.

This basically defeats the purpose I am trying to achieve. That purpose is leaving me out of the picture at a specific channel level and letting my channel admins create/delete/move/rename/whatever any channels under their specific hierarchy.

If I have to go in and set perms on each channel they create, then I might as well not bother with allowing anyone to create sub channels as I have to "fix" them anyway.

So, I'm not sure if there's a fix for this or simply that I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for your help!

I figured it might be good to paste the error I get when I try to add the SubSubSub1 channel. =)

<20:28:40> insufficient client permissions (failed on b_channel_create_modify_with_codec_speex16 (12876/0x324C))

So I do have the "Create Sub Channel" option, and I click it and can set everything it looks like I should be able to set. Except this error happens.

Which means they can't create a channel with that codec. There are four permissions like that, they are (b_channel_create_modify_with_codec)_speex8, _speex16, _speex32, and _celtmono48. In order to create a channel the client must have at least one of those enabled. Otherwise, it would be like saying, you have permission to build a building here, but you don't have permission to use wood, brick, concrete, or steel. You've gotta use at least one of them or the rights to build do you no good.

Quote Originally Posted by UF|Renegade|LTG View Post
    Which means they can't create a channel with that codec. There are four permissions like that, they are (b_channel_create_modify_with_codec)_speex8, _speex16, _speex32, and _celtmono48. In order to create a channel the client must have at least one of those enabled. Otherwise, it would be like saying, you have permission to build a building here, but you don't have permission to use wood, brick, concrete, or steel. You've gotta use at least one of them or the rights to build do you no good.
    Right, but how would I do that? Because they created the channel above it without a problem. So what permission is missing where? Does that make sense? They created a channel right above it with speex16, but when they create a subchannel of that subchannel, they get the speex16 error.

Hmm, in that case I'm not entirely sure. Can you post the client's permission overview from each channel? (Right-Click -> Permissions -> Permission Overview)

Hmm, in that case I'm not entirely sure. Can you post the client's permission overview from each channel? (Right-Click -> Permissions -> Permission Overview)
    Sure, thanks for helping. =)

I've named the files using the same convention example above.

I'm sure I could EASILY have something set wrong, so thanks for looking through this.

Can you post the permissions of Sub1 as well please?

I don't see that the user is a member of a channel admin group in SubSub1 either, they should be by default, since they created the channel. Unless you have changed your server settings to disallow this.

Try this:
    Virtual Server Name -> Right-Click -> Edit Virtual Server -> (More) -> Misc Tab -> Default Groups -> Channel Admin Group
    What does it say? It should say Channel Admin (5) or something similar.

Can you post the permissions of Sub1 as well please?

I don't see that the user is a member of a channel admin group in SubSub1 either, they should be by default, since they created the channel. Unless you have changed your server settings to disallow this.

Try this:
    Virtual Server Name -> Right-Click -> Edit Virtual Server -> (More) -> Misc Tab -> Default Groups -> Channel Admin Group
    What does it say? It should say Channel Admin (5) or something similar.
    It says "Channel Admin (158)". These settings there are not changeable by me as it's hosted, not run by me.

Attached the Sub1 perms as well.

Ok, I figured it out (thanks for showing me the permissions overview).

So this is what is happening, it might be by design, just not what I was expecting.

So what happens is, I have a customer channel group this test user is in. This group allows creating of sub channels.

When that test user creates a new sub channel and they enter the new channel, they are in the "Channel Admin" group, not the custom channel group they were in in the channel above. The Channel admin group does not have permission to create new channels. So that's where things die.

I was expecting the test user to retain their custom channel group down the tree as they created new channels. So I guess the "fix" is to let channel admins create sub channels.

Yes I can see how that is working. So why does the channel admin group not have permission to create sub-channels? Is that how the provider has it set? Does your server admin group have the ability to change that? If not, can you contact your server provider about changing it?

Also, I noticed that you have the channel permissions set for that channel so that ANYONE inside would have the ability to create sub-channels, is this what you intended?

I can't imagine me changing the default perms, but anything is possible as I've been learning from scratch on this. Would be nice if there was a "reset to default" function though for the perms.

As for allowing anyone to create channels, no... I don't want that for sure.

You could always install the server on your home computer and run it, then use that server's default perms as a template to compare to your current server's perms, and when you're done shut down your local server.

Just an FYI. I had to have my server reinstalled as I couldn't use the query server (They had a config issue when they created it I guess). Anyway, once they reinstalled it, I checked and none of the default Channel groups have "Create Sub-Channels" or ANYTHING create checked.

So... that appears to be part of my issues. The host is still learning what they are doing too. It's a good host though so.. nothing on them. Just wanted to say that if others are having this issue, it could be that way from the default install.

Do you have permissions to edit the Channel Admin group? You should, as you're the server admin.

The way the permission system is set up by default is designed to require NO changing for the average user. To that end, the default Server Admin group SHOULD have permission to edit all other server groups (except query groups and templates), unless the Server Provider has changed the template group.

Do you have permissions to edit the Channel Admin group? You should, as you're the server admin.

The way the permission system is set up by default is designed to require NO changing for the average user. To that end, the default Server Admin group SHOULD have permission to edit all other server groups (except query groups and templates), unless the Server Provider has changed the template group.
    Yeah, I can edit it (and did). It's setup much better now. Just sucks that I don't know what the default settings that SHOULD work are. Kinda flying blind with whatever my host ended up doing on the setup.

Thread Information