Forum

Red face How to integrate the SDK with .NET?

I have been trying to access .NET from the plugin, but I wasn't able to yet. If I change the plugin to use .NET components it is not recognized anymore by TS3.

Is there anyone with a solution out there that would provide some sample code?

I have moved over to programming in C# instead of C++ years ago, and I would love to actually develop in C#... that would be just great. However, I can still work fine with C++ if I have access to maybe even managed C++.

Seems like I lack the C++ skills to write a wrapper though. *sigh*

BTW, it would be great if the SDK had a callback timer event that is configurable, so that plugins can update every X ms without creating their own thread.
    Last edited by skyflash_de; January 14th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

I have no idea of programming with C#, but perhaps there is missing some library needed by your plugin?
    If you have Dependency walker, check, if there is something missing.

Any output in the clientlog?

a callback timer event that is configurable, so that plugins can update every X ms without creating their own thread
    Some time ago, I requested the same feature. Sorry. but the developers won't add it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I have no idea of programming with C#, but perhaps there is missing some library needed by your plugin?
    If you have Dependency walker, check, if there is something missing.
    Any output in the clientlog?
    I think it has to do with the plugin being in pure (unmanaged) C and the fact that I'd like to use managed C#. I am not able to get the server to work with any plugin other than in C, and I am having extreme troubles to build a bridge.

Perfect would be a sample where a plugin creates a .NET dialog, from then on I'd be happy developing.

I tried most of the stuff I am able to do, like creating a C# DLL and calling it from the C plugin, but that isn't working for some reason. I converted the plugin to C++ with just the callbacks in pure C but even then I was not able to call any .NET cause it's all unmanaged.

Here is part of the problem:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mcpp/u...o_managed.aspx

Now for me the perfect solution would be to compile the plugin with Common Language Runtime Support (/clr). This is not working, the Teamspeak 3 server does not recognize the DLL anymore if I do that.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B/CLI

Once we have a bridge to .NET plugins can be created very quickly, but right now I am somewhat lost.
    Last edited by skyflash_de; January 14th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

The plugin API is standard C, as this can be integrated with pretty much any language. However, writing a wrapper for Python, Java, Lua, C# and whatnot is up to the plugin authors. So far TS3 has been integrated successfully with Java and Lua. The SDK examples (This one, not the plugin SDK) also contains a simple C# sample integration, which might give you some ideas.

We cannot provide wrappers and demos for every language out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    The plugin API is standard C, as this can be integrated with pretty much any language. However, writing a wrapper for Python, Java, Lua, C# and whatnot is up to the plugin authors. So far TS3 has been integrated successfully with Java and Lua. The SDK examples (This one, not the plugin SDK) also contains a simple C# sample integration, which might give you some ideas. We cannot provide wrappers and demos for every language out there.
    That C# sample is nice but doesn't solve the problem at hand with the plugin SDK....

The problem is that although my 32bit C++ plugin does get compiled just fine and I can enable it on the TS3 Client in the plugin section, it does not work at all. I tried debugging it, but it's like running through a dark forest without a flashlight. I can see it's not working, but I have no clue what the client is doing and why.

It isn't crashing or doing something weird, it is just sitting there doing nothing. I left the printf in the init section which works when I compile as non /clr, but as soon as I enable that compiler option the server doesn't seem to call the plugins callbacks anymore.

Now normally I would debug and fix that on the TS3 clients code, but as I dont have access to that I am pretty stumped on what to do.

If I can't compile my plugin as CLR, I have massive problems with any integration, and I would have to do it via COM which is a complete hassle and not really working if I want to deploy the plugin.

Integrating Java, Python and Lua is very simple compared to integrating a .NET managed language like C#, yes it surely can be done, but really it should be done by the people that can change the plugin API, not the plugin authors.

At least I know that this is far too complex for me without being able to fully debug what is going on in the client.

I am just saying, C# is a pretty powerful language and available at least on Windows and Linux. I'd even say the most powerful in existance for rapid application development with almost no defects. It would be a complete shame to not having it integrated with TS3.

Thread Information