Forum

TS3: Basic Channel & Member Setup

Call me a noob. Say I need my hand held. Say I'm dumb. Say whatever you want.

After a week of toying with TS3 I just don't get these basics. I'm looking for something simple and am hoping someone would help me figure it out. Call this documentation if you want, call it hand holding, it won't matter to me

Let's say we have three types of groups:
    Guests
    Friends
    Members

And these three groups will have access to channels such as so:

Teamspeak 3 Server
    - Lobby (Guests, Friends, and Members) (DEFAULT)
    - Chatter (Friends and Members)
    - Gamer Rooms
    -- Gamer Room 1 (Friends and Members)
    -- Gamer Room 2 (Friends and Members)
    - Hangouts
    -- Hangout 1 (Members Only)
    -- Hangout 2 (Members Only)

So, starting from scratch, how would I set up these permissions? What is the proper way to apply permissions to a Guest so that he becomes a Member or a Friend?

Thank you,
    Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by cvweiss View Post
    Call me a noob. Say I need my hand held. Say I'm dumb. Say whatever you want.

After a week of toying with TS3 I just don't get these basics. I'm looking for something simple and am hoping someone would help me figure it out. Call this documentation if you want, call it hand holding, it won't matter to me

Let's say we have three types of groups:
    Guests
    Friends
    Members

And these three groups will have access to channels such as so:

Teamspeak 3 Server
    - Lobby (Guests, Friends, and Members) (DEFAULT)
    - Chatter (Friends and Members)
    - Gamer Rooms
    -- Gamer Room 1 (Friends and Members)
    -- Gamer Room 2 (Friends and Members)
    - Hangouts
    -- Hangout 1 (Members Only)
    -- Hangout 2 (Members Only)

So, starting from scratch, how would I set up these permissions? What is the proper way to apply permissions to a Guest so that he becomes a Member or a Friend?

Thank you,
    Clinton
    Gooday!

By the looks of your post we can spend the next week or so posting or I can give you personalized help setting up your server. The best and fastest way to do this is to have you join me on a server of mine that we will setup the way you want your server while explaining what I’m doing and helping you to understand how things work. If this sounds like something that you would like to do just leave a response in a post here. I live in Montana so there’s only a few hours difference in our time zone. We can schedule this anytime during the day or early night on what ever day you would like.

Damaboo
    Last edited by damaboo; January 25th, 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: edited post

That sounds awesome. I'm going to be gone Friday and Saturday, but Sunday evening I will be around. Pick a time anytime after 4pm your time and I'll be there!

Send me a private message with your server info if you don't want to include it here. Thank you very much for offering your assistance

Quote Originally Posted by cvweiss View Post
    That sounds awesome. I'm going to be gone Friday and Saturday, but Sunday evening I will be around. Pick a time anytime after 4pm your time and I'll be there!

Send me a private message with your server info if you don't want to include it here. Thank you very much for offering your assistance
    Sounds good, I will send you info

Not so simple

Quote Originally Posted by damaboo View Post
    Gooday!

By the looks of your post we can spend the next week or so posting or I can give you personalized help setting up your server.

no offense to the helpful responder here but, for those that are saying it is simple this is a classic response, if it was simple or even had a reasonably friendly user interface a week or so of posting would not be necessary.
    Last edited by Watercrazed; February 9th, 2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: minor wording

Quote Originally Posted by Watercrazed View Post
    no offense to the helpful responder here but, for those that are saying it is simple this is a classic response, if it was simple or even had a reasonably friendly user interface a week or so of posting would not be necessary.
    Excuse me! Who said it was simple! that's why I personally helped this person on one of my servers. Let no one who reads this think that it's simple, except to the ones who have the knowledge and experience to make it look like it's simple! Lets use the forums to help the TS people and those who have made the plunge to do this knowing it's a beta! You can never please every body but we can try to help in constructive ways and in the proper places to help bring this beta to a conclusion which will satisfy most people (there will always be those you can't)

After much research I've realized how simple this really can be. For those who would like it I've modified a spreadsheet that Soljia originally created (thanks to him for the hard work of writing it all down)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...qM2dTWnc&hl=de

This spreadsheet contains the default values and the actual values for my clan's TS3 server. It's fairly basic. As long as you remember there is the power and the i_need_power variable. The power variable is what the group/client has versus the i_need_power which is what the client/group needs to perform such action.

That's awesome that damaboo is willing and able to login to someone's server and assist. With a little bit of research and 10-15 min of time adjusting permissions you'll start to understand what's going on and why. I do understand not everyone is "interested" in this but please remember this is still BETA so you have to have reasonable expectations for the kind of support that is provided.

Thread Information