Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nicknames: Anyone can use yours

I am a complete noob, so please do not reply with disrespecting comments like some have had on these forums.

My biggest problem with ts3 is that anyone can use any nick they want. Theres nothing that ties their user account with a specified nickname. For clans that is important. Is there a way to make each user use a predetermined nick?
    With ts2 you make a user account for someone, and if you suspected a connected user was not who they were supposed to be, you just right click their name and look at the registered name. I hope this is just something I am overlooking, but if not, we cannot use ts3, because there will be too many people coming in our ts with members nicks, trying to play games. It would be too much of a pain to keep track of hundreds of users who are not supposed to be on my ts. Thank you.

Also, will there be a web interface like before? ServerQuery is just too complicated for me, and I dont want to have to work through complicated processes just to manage my voice server. As it stands, ts2 is just fine if these things are not going to be implemented. Thank you

For your question about web-interfaces check out this area
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114

As for people changing names? Click on some one and look at right pain:
    Name: “this can be changed by the user”
    Custom nickname: “Is associated with the Unique ID in database, stays the same no matter what they change their Name to. This is the name they used when they first logged on to TS3. This will stay the same unless changed in database ” .

Hope this helps

yes that helps cause I did not notice that before, but my problem is, that if someone comes on the ts3 with a regular members nick.
    We all know there are malicious people out there whose goal is to only bother people. I am not missing the flood bots on ts2 lol.

I would just like to know if theres a way to prevent that from happening. We dont want anyone coming on our ts3 with someone else nick just to cause problems.

Since TS3 is still in beta and there are people working on scripts all the time. This issue has been mentioned but the only solution right now that I know of is if some one writes a script, but I have not seen one Yet.

i know, its all very confusing to me lol. ts2 was great, didnt take a degree to get it setup. I hope the final version answers all my questions, cause i am in the dark as of right now. Thank you for your feedback, ill drift through the script sections again to see if i missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by damaboo View Post
    As for people changing names? Click on some one and look at right pain:
    Name: “this can be changed by the user”
    Custom nickname: “Is associated with the Unique ID in database, stays the same no matter what they change their Name to. This is the name they used when they first logged on to TS3. This will stay the same unless changed in database ” .

Hope this helps
    I just tried this and I don't appear to have the "Custom Nickname" field mentioned. Not that that'll really help anyone if it did show up, that was a non-admin (I assume) since they can't look at it.

Hopefully this gets resolved, it really does have a large negative impact on things.

If you click on yourself the custom nickname does not appear, only on someone else.

Yes it would be great to be able to register a users nick name so no one else can use it.
    We will have the same problem with retards logging in with Admin names and giving ppl grief and also asking for Login info for different games or accounts and other stuff trying to steel things from them.
    Most users will not understand everything about TS to be able to tell if this user is a real admin or not.
    They will only go by names they see asking for this info from them.
    Why this was not added to start with I do not understand.

Please add this option in the next beta release.
    Would be greatly appreciated.

If a TS Dev could reply with "Yes we will be adding this or No this will not be added" would be great as well so we at least know.

Thanks.

You do not need it, every User has his own Unique ID which cannot be copied by anyone else. Also, if you add somebody as a friend you see the green highlighting of their name - if it is somebody else that doesn't appear.
    It can't be such a problem though - you should know your friends by voice?

A reservation for nick and unique is on todo, for later release.

Quote Originally Posted by EtzelBt View Post
    You do not need it, every User has his own Unique ID which cannot be copied by anyone else. Also, if you add somebody as a friend you see the green highlighting of their name - if it is somebody else that doesn't appear.
    It can't be such a problem though - you should know your friends by voice?
    Joe User isn't going to know (or care) what someones unique ID is. Expecting them (or admins) to know everyone by a number isn't very realistic. I also don't want to have to add everyone as a friend just to know they are who they say they are.

Some of us have large member bases (I have about 200 unique active members). Not everyone knows everyone's voice, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    A reservation for nick and unique is on todo, for later release.
    Thank you, hopefully your implementation will fully resolve the issues we see happening with the current system.

bump.
    I hope this is sorted before release, or my group will not be moving to ts3.

Think like this, theres alot of losers out there, that are only out to tro to
    mess with someone.

It is completely unnacceptable to allow just any guest to use a nickname of someone else, pretending to be them.

To me, that is a lazy attempt if this is not fixed. You need user security, if not the program is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker34 View Post
    bump.
    I hope this is sorted before release, or my group will not be moving to ts3.

Think like this, theres alot of losers out there, that are only out to tro to
    mess with someone.

It is completely unnacceptable to allow just any guest to use a nickname of someone else, pretending to be them.

To me, that is a lazy attempt if this is not fixed. You need user security, if not the program is useless.
    What are you talking about?
    A nickname is no security risk. You can be sure when you add the user to contacts or check the unique id.

I cannot believe that I have to actually sum up a scenario.

Ok, here goes.

Say you run a gaming clan. You have a good amount of members.
    Say you got a member named Member1. If he is not on the teamspeak,
    anyone can come on with that nickname and mimic him. This could
    lead to harrassment, or even people trying to gain access to otherwise blocked
    areas.

In ts2, all you have to do is right click a name, and it gives you the login.
    In ts3, you have to look up a unique id number. Thats just nuts.

Thread Information