Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Lightbulb [Request] Backup- Tool

Hi, i wonder if it is possible to create a tool that backups your server settings and user records.
    I use hosted TS3 servers, and i had to move some to different IP/s or ports, and then setup everything again and again, that is pretty annoying.
    So the tool should be able to log on to a server, get admin permission there, and then stores the Server Groups and so on, the Channels (Name + Settings) and the users (unique ID + permissions) somewhere in a file. Now, if i setup a new server, the tool just logs on to the new server, gets admin permissions there too, and then sets everything just like it was on the other server, so it imports the file it stored there.
    I saw some web-interfaces that are capable of adminning the server permissions and users in this forum, this means there is a way to get that neccessary information, so it should be possible to do this.
    Unfortunately, my programming skills, if you want to call that programming, are limited to some HTML, VB, and Java...So i cant do that on my own. Another possibility would be to implement it as a built-in TS function. So that every serveradmin has the permission/feasability to export users,channels, and the permissions, and import them as well.
    This tool would be great to backup, once one made a big mistake, or to easily setup a new server, so take it as an idea.

Just use regular backup software like SyncBack Freeware. I mostly just copy the entire folder locally for restore of small mistakes and the whole teamspeak3-server_win32 folder witout the "files" folder to an other computer.

hosted servers

the problem is, that as i have my servers hosted by voiceservers.net, i cant access the server folders...
    if i had the access, i would have simply copied all databases just like you meant...

u might wanna try http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=49547 but you need to have serveradmin username and password.this tool can backup whole servers and channels + much much more

Quote Originally Posted by wizzywig View Post
    but you need to have serveradmin username and password.this tool can backup whole servers and channels + much much more
    That is the problem. On TS3 Servers that are hosted by a company, you usually dont get that info. So Tools that rely on that are so unhelpful for a lot of people using TS3. The Developers should have thought of that when they created the Software.

yeah, what i need is kind of a bot that gets the information and stores it.

. *push*

Quote Originally Posted by TS3 - Blackwolf View Post
    . *push*
    I also use a hoster. If possible, ask the support for access to the serverdeploy permission. Many hosters have servers auto-back-up in-case of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Omlet View Post
    I also use a hoster. If possible, ask the support for access to the serverdeploy permission. Many hosters have servers auto-back-up in-case of failures.
    Ok, i will ask them for the files where the serverbackup is stored if they have one.

Still the best thing would be an option to import/export a "channel" - file
    and the same for the servergroups and the channel groups.
    Would be nice to also be able to export/import all user names with their unique IDs and in what servergroup and channelgroup they are - the complete database
    So create a permission like b_export_users_channels_groups and b_import_users_channels_groups. And if you have this permissions, you are able to click on 2 MenuItems that are linked to the functions that do that.
    Maybe we can get that in beta -22, it would help ALL Users that have their servers from a hoster
    So it will help the people, who PAY for their servers and give money to the hoster company, that gives money to Teamspeak, to administer their servers.

Quote Originally Posted by TS3 - Blackwolf View Post
    Ok, i will ask them for the files where the serverbackup is stored if they have one.

Still the best thing would be an option to import/export a "channel" - file
    and the same for the servergroups and the channel groups.
    Would be nice to also be able to export/import all user names with their unique IDs and in what servergroup and channelgroup they are - the complete database
    So create a permission like b_export_users_channels_groups and b_import_users_channels_groups. And if you have this permissions, you are able to click on 2 MenuItems that are linked to the functions that do that.
    Maybe we can get that in beta -22, it would help ALL Users that have their servers from a hoster
    So it will help the people, who PAY for their servers and give money to the hoster company, that gives money to Teamspeak, to administer their servers.
    As good as that sounds, I doubt the developers will look into it. The serversnapshot permission does pretty much the same thing. The only issue is that some hosters restrict this permissions on the grounds of "security flaw".

Thread Information