Forum

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Allowing channel access for one group only

I have several channels on my server that I would like to limit access to on a per-group basis, without having to rely on passwords.

e.g.

- Channel "Good People" *only* accessible by users in the "Goodies" group

- Channel "Bad People" *only* accessible by the users in the "Baddies" group

I can't seem to get this to work. In fact, I can't see how I can get any group based restrictions that are not governed by the magic power numbers. The group mechanics seem to be based on the premise that one group is naturally superior to another group, and it seems impossible to create groups that are identical from a "power" point of view, but have some other distinguishing characteristic so that channel access etc can be better moderated.

This is possible and easy.

Use channel groups, the good guys get the "enter group" in channel goodies. The bad guys get the "enter group" in channel baddies. The enter group gives you i_channel_join_power that is sufficient to join the channel (the channel has a very high i_channel_needed_join_power). Easy peasy japanesy.

Edit by mod
    How to restrict a channel so that Clan A only can join, subscribe etc in Channel A but not in Channel B.
    This must be done via Channel Groups. It's not psosible via Serer groups.

1.1 Create Channel A and B
    1.2 Set all needed permissions (join, subscribe etc.) with one value into both channels. Use the same values for Channel A and B to get the best result.

2.1 Create 1 new channel group or use an existing channel group
    2.2 Set the permissions you need (join, subscribe etc) with same value into this channel group.

3.1 Assign this channel group to Clan A members in channel A
    3.2 Assign this channel group to Clan B members in channel B

Done > Now only clan A can join etc channel A and clan B only can do this for channel B
    Last edited by dante696; May 17th, 2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: channel group details added
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

Yea...channel groups (i really should stop doing that )

I was even thinking in something like in server groups "ID of allowed channels"...

Anyways, thanks and sorry about that (i deleted the post so it won't mislead people).

Nice idea, really.
    But there could be one problem.
    If you want to give someone in the "baddies"-channel Op or CA, they would lose their access, since a user can be only in one channelgroup.
    Guess you have to set channel-client-permission for this user then, so he can enter the channel and have CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    This is possible and easy.

Use channel groups, the good guys get the "enter group" in channel goodies. The bad guys get the "enter group" in channel baddies. The enter group gives you i_channel_join_power that is sufficient to join the channel (the channel has a very high i_channel_needed_join_power). Easy peasy japanesy.
    Thanks, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Nice idea, really.
    But there could be one problem.
    If you want to give someone in the "baddies"-channel Op or CA, they would lose their access, since a user can be only in one channelgroup.
    Guess you have to set channel-client-permission for this user then, so he can enter the channel and have CA.
    Either give your Op/CA group the high join power too, or create a special Op that is like a normal op but with high join power too.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

It would be really nice to have a drop-down list of groups in the "Edit Channel" options eg.:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2v0g4ef.png

This would make administrating the channels so much easier

1. create a group
    2. add users
    3. create a channel
    4. add a group to the channel
    5. bingo access policy done

This wont be easier, since your way only one group would have access to the channel.
    Even with the current system, you can allow multiple groups access.

Forgive my ignorance of the abbreviated slang.

I have no Idea what specifically you mean by:
    "enter group"
    "Op"
    "CA"

As far as I know I have only control over:

"join power" of a group
    "needed join power" of a channel

What "specifically" (in less terse terminology) are you suggesting ?

I am still not seeing how the channels are mutually exclusive ?

Please advise.

"Op" is the "Operator"-Channelgroup as well as "CA" is the "Channel-Admin"-Channelgroup.
    With "entergroup" Peter meant to create a channelgroup called "entergroup" and give this group the join_power needed for the channels concerned.

@ Peter: I'm a little bit disappointed that you do not seem to understand the problem we want to be solved...(By the way, nice work with closing The_Holy_One's Thread)

The method to solve the problem you posted here doesn't work like that, because members of the "Goodies" group would be able to join the "Baddies" channel, which is exactly the problem we have.

R3M__ posted the easiest and only right method to solve the problem, but you still don't understand.

It should look this way:
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2...nnelaccess.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    This wont be easier, since your way only one group would have access to the channel.
    This is exactly what we intend to do.
    That's why this thread is named "Allowing channel access for one group only"
    With the current options for TS3 it is not possible.
    In my opinion, the Talk-Power design is a complete fail.

I hope that will help you helping us^^
    Last edited by Famothas; February 18th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Famothas View Post
    The method to solve the problem you posted here doesn't work like that, because members of the "Goodies" group would be able to join the "Baddies" channel, which is exactly the problem we have.
    Only, if you create servergroups and give them those permissions.
    If you create channelgroups and assign users, they would only have access if they are in the channelgroup of that channel. So, the "Goodies" would only be able to enter "Baddies" Channel if they were assigned to the "Goodies" (or "Baddies") Channelgroup of the "Baddies" Channel.
    Its like being Op or CA, you can i. e. only kick people from channels where you are in and have CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Famothas View Post
    In my opinion, the Talk-Power design is a complete fail.
    I hope that will help you helping us^^
    What does have Talkpower to do with who can access a channel?
    Talkpower is what was called "Moderated" in TS2.

Hi there,

i finally found this thread, and did it as described here. But there are Still "problems".

If i have the following Structure

Default channel

Baddies
    - Sub 1
    - Sub 2
    - Sub 3

Goddies
    - Sub 1
    - Sub 2
    - Sub 3

i have to add to every Channel "i_client_needed_join_power". Is it possible to add it just to "baddies" and "Goddies" and inherit it from the above channel?

Also this "workaround" dont give me the ability to "kick" someone from the Permission set. If someone leaved the Clan - how to set him (if he is On/Offline) to the Guest Grp back again so cant join our channel again?

At the very end, how to config it that someone can that isnt in our clan join our TeamSpeak, and can be moved by some Baddie to ONLY Baddie Channels? But has not the right to Move them to Goddies?

As posted before, it is said, that sub-channel inherits would be on todo list.
    If the ex-user is online, you just have to move him to the channel concerned (or he enters it on his own) and set the normal channel-group.
    If hes offline, just use ServerQuery ("setclientchannelgroup").
    As for moving, just set a "i_client_move_power" to that group that is equal or higher than the "i_client_needed_move_power" of the guestgroup.

Rafter Guest

Groups and Channel access

Hi
    I want to have one virtual server that different groups of ppl can join.
    Examples: 3 groups of ppl: Blue, Red, Yellow
    3 Channels(with subs ofc.):BlueChan, RedChan, YellowChan.
    I want each group to have access to their respective Chan only. I know i can raise the level for ppl that should have more access, but then the high level ppl can still join low level areas, and I dont want that.
    Maybe its just me getting confused because of all the options.

As a start, we just say that all ppl should have same level/permissions, but just inside their respective channel(+subchannels).

I am a bit confused in how this should be done. Could any1 please advice

Thread Information