Forum

Question Trouble with the "TMPFS" - Error

Hi !

I am trying to install & run a TS3-Server on my own rootserver.
    It`s amd64 dualcore server with 8GB of ram, running a stage3-gentoo. I am pretty familiar to administrating Linux-servers & services, but this one is really pretty weird :

I have an own partition set up mounted as "/srv" where all gameserver & ts3-server related files are located. For security reasons, I added a user named "ts3" which shall be running the ts3-server. the "teamspeak3"-directory is owned by this user and (of course) all files in there, too.
    I created a ts3db_mysql.ini - file manually and passed the necessary options via the commandline-parameter-variable in the ts3-startup-script .. so far so good..

When I try to start up the server, I am getting the error mentioned in the docs :
    "2010-02-08 20:03:05.577704|ERROR |Accounting | | failed to register local accounting service
    2010-02-08 20:03:05.577877|ERROR |ServerLibPriv | | Server() error while starting servermanager, error: instance check error"

So I checked my mounttab (Gentoo sets up a tmpfs-dev itself, because glibc2.2 depends on it, too), which lists the following tmpfs mounted :
    "shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)"

since this is different from the specs mentioned in the docs, i manually mounted another tmpfs using exactly the specs mentioned in the docs, and "mount" lists it like this :
    "tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)". (I also tried with "defaults" - mount-option only).

Of course, this was done as root... when I su to the ts3-user afterwards, the problem still persists.. I suppose this to be some kind of permissions-failure on the tmpfs (ts3-user not being able to access the tmpfs correctly).

Can somebody help me out with that, pleeeaase?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    IllegalGuy

--- Merged ---

Sorry for bumping this up once again, but I got some further info related to my problem :

When starting up as root, it works totally correct, even, without manually mounting the tmpfs.. as soon as I try starting it up as a user with "normal" privileges, I get the tmpfs-error.
    I thin k I am missing some group-memberships for this user or access to certain devs.. don` t know exactly..

Does anybody have a detailed guide on how to secure the ts3-server on a amd64-linux architecture properly? Iptables stuff is done already btw...

Thanks,
    SOS*IllegalGuy
    Last edited by florian_fr40; November 15th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Thread Information