Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Question License Questions: 2 Keys 1 Database

I have two keys. One is for the "Live" Server and one is for me and my testing.

Before I apply server patches I test out the new build on a separate IP.

I copy the current LIVE server database (This is server is always running through out the process) into the test server.

The test server uses a different licensekey.dat but uses the same copy/backup of the database as the live server.

If I leave the test server running would it be normal for the Live server to die due to a conflict?

The two servers when running are mirrored servers running on different IPs with different license keys.

Sorry in advance for scooping up two keys but I needed one for all my testing and mistakes while the live server stays up 24/7 spreading TS3 love.

out of server_quickstart.txt:

Virtual servers are always unique, marked by an unique identifier. Hence it is
    not possible to start the same virtual server within a second server process.

hope that helps :/

Thats what I thought.

you can always run a second server on a different ip on to test everything, with a virtual server that matches things on a virtual server on the live server, yet created by the test server. So you can still test anything out and won't be messing up the live database.

owh and before i forget, you can use the same license for the second server you are running ;-) (as long as you don't exceed max slots)

Quote Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
    I have two keys. One is for the "Live" Server and one is for me and my testing.

Before I apply server patches I test out the new build on a separate IP.

I copy the current LIVE server database (This is server is always running through out the process) into the test server.

The test server uses a different licensekey.dat but uses the same copy/backup of the database as the live server.

If I leave the test server running would it be normal for the Live server to die due to a conflict?

The two servers when running are mirrored servers running on different IPs with different license keys.

Sorry in advance for scooping up two keys but I needed one for all my testing and mistakes while the live server stays up 24/7 spreading TS3 love.
    If the TS3 servers are on the same box ( I'm assuming that each individual TS3 server is running in it's own dir on the same box )even with different ip's you will have a port conflict. I do the same thing with 2 servers in individual directories, but you have to change the ports on your second TS3 server or you will have a conflict. You also don't have to use a second license key as long as you are not exceeding 512 slots total for both servers.

hope this helps
    Last edited by damaboo; February 17th, 2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: corrections

Quote Originally Posted by damaboo View Post
    If the TS3 servers are on the same box ( I'm assuming that each TS3 server is running in it's own dir on the same box )even with different ip's you will have a port conflict. I do the same thing with 2 servers, but you have to change the ports on your second TS3 server or you will have a conflict. You also don't have to use a second license key as long as you are not exceeding 512 slots total for both servers.

hope this helps
    actually if you run one in a virtual machine then change all the ports, cross your fingers and make a wish upon a star while holding your car antenna it should work...

Quote Originally Posted by pillbox1234567 View Post
    actually if you run one in a virtual machine then change all the ports, cross your fingers and make a wish upon a star while holding your car antenna it should work...
    are you actually giving a suggestion, comment or are you living up to your name

are you actually giving a suggestion, comment or are you living up to your name
    first of all a pillbox is a bunker. second of all it was a pointer in the right direction disguised in a joke. you have to look for those. let me translate.

actually if you run one in a virtual machine then change all the ports it should work...but it may not

If the TS3 servers are on the same box ( I'm assuming that each individual TS3 server is running in it's own dir on the same box )even with different ip's you will have a port conflict. I do the same thing with 2 servers in individual directories, but you have to change the ports on your second TS3 server or you will have a conflict. You also don't have to use a second license key as long as you are not exceeding 512 slots total for both servers.

hope this helps
    Made corrections to first post and this setup works fine. Running each server in it's own dir keeps the servers totaly seperated, been using this method since the beginning of TS3 beta's with excellent results.

Thread Information