Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Solved] Whisper Eavesdropping

After the last patch the whisperlist seems to be bugged. I use TS3 in my gaming tournament and I have several whisperlist set up to speak to various factions of my tournament. All has worked well until the latest patch beta 16 build 10314 when I use my whisperlist to speak to any particular list all channels or user in all my whisperlist hear what I am saying. I have even deleted all my whisperlist and have set them up again to no avail. I am not the only one in my tournament that is having this issue either. Can you give any insight to why this is happening? Is anyone else having the same problems? Please advise!

Whisper Eavesdropping

I was whispering someone in the same channel. I am the admin of my server. Out of nowhere another member in the channel could hear me whispering. I'm wondering if it was a bug or if he hacked somehow. "*** M" showed up in the chat around the same time he could hear me.

Me, him, and the member I was whispering were running the client version: 3.0.0-beta16 windows 64 bit.

The server version is 3.0.0-beta17 linux x86.

Here is a screenshot of the "*** M" in the chat that showed up at the same time he could eavesdrop on my whispers:
    I am connected as Yaheeb, the Eavesdropper is Bob Dole, I was whispering to KyoKyo. I took this screenshot long after it happened when I noticed the "*** M".

Edit: Is the "*** M" related to this or is it something different?

http://i.imgur.com/EPCtC.png

Edit: This guy is having the same or similar problem:
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?p=228740
    Last edited by yaheeb; March 1st, 2010 at 06:43 AM.

Im having the same or similar problem..
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=51945

I've been getting the same complaints on my server which is a dedicated Win 2008 server with TS3 32 server beta 19-pre1 and everyone is using Client beta 16. Had no complaints before client update from 15 to 16. It's not consistent, sometimes only one person in channel with the person whispering hears him but not always the same person. Sometimes when he whispers to someone in another channel the whole channel hears it like he was whispering to channel but he was whispering to one individual. The most common is someone in channel or everyone in channel with the one whispering hears him. Haven't figured out how to duplicate on cue but it happens constantly to those who use whispering a lot. I will update this post as soon as I find out if it's happening with push-to-talk, voice-activated or both.

Thank you and have a great day!

Can you please get a screenshot of the whisper list you had active when this happened? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by maggy View Post
    Can you please get a screenshot of the whisper list you had active when this happened? Thanks.
    Could you enlighten me at what you are looking for?

Go to Settings > Options > Whisper lists and show me what list you were using when you experienced this problem. Or get whoever is having this problem to do the same.

Post Our Fix

I play in a tournament using TS3 also, we had the same problem with folks hearing the folks we were fighting against and whispers being heard by the individuals instead of the whole channel.

So far this fix seems to work-

Go to Settings -> Identities; create a new identity. Then delete the old one. Disconnect from TS3, close TS3 and open it back up.

Hope this works for you guys.

I also posted, but no reply, about my G15; After the new update, when I set my status to away the G15 no longer show 'AWAY' on the LCD display. Anyone else having this problem?

Post Possible Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    After the last patch the whisperlist seems to be bugged. I use TS3 in my gaming tournament and I have several whisperlist set up to speak to various factions of my tournament. All has worked well until the latest patch beta 16 build 10314 when I use my whisperlist to speak to any particular list all channels or user in all my whisperlist hear what I am saying. I have even deleted all my whisperlist and have set them up again to no avail. I am not the only one in my tournament that is having this issue either. Can you give any insight to why this is happening? Is anyone else having the same problems? Please advise!

I play in a tournament using TS3 also, we had the same problem with folks hearing the folks we were fighting against and whispers being heard by the individuals instead of the whole channel.

So far this fix seems to work-

Go to Settings -> Identities; create a new identity. Then delete the old one. Disconnect from TS3, close TS3 and open it back up.

Hope this works for you guys.

I also posted, but no reply, about my G15; After the new update, when I set my status to away the G15 no longer show 'AWAY' on the LCD display. Anyone else having this problem?

I did some changes to the whisperlist which should hopefully resolve the reported issue. It's unreliable to reproduce, so I'm not 100% certain if it's really fixed now. Some feedback here once the new client is available would be nice.

A whisperlist code overhaul is planned somewhen later this month.

Quote from http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=51945

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    I did some changes to the whisperlist which should hopefully resolve the reported issue. It's unreliable to reproduce, so I'm not 100% certain if it's really fixed now. Some feedback here once the new client is available would be nice.

Unhappy Some trouble with whisper list

Hi there,
    I have given to my guilde a new TS3 and i've got some feedback regarding whisperlist trouble.

There is the situation
    I have 2 whisper list G1 and G2

When I talk to G1 then to G2 some guy form G1 still heard me i check and they are not in G2 and my hotkeys are not close on my keyboard.

So have you got those problem?

Sorry for my bad english I'm french

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Thanks PeterS! We have found it hard to reproduce, It seems to have a mind of it's own, been looking for common variables, but will keep checking and testing and post what ever we find.

Thanks for all of Teamspeaks time and patience!

Others have had similar problems. There is work being done on the whisper function for the next release.

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...963#post228963

Thanks for your answer. I've read this thread also and didn't ses that the #7 was posted by the ts team .

Thread Information