Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Moderated channels prevent whispering if you are not priviledged to speak in them

Hello.

So this evening I noticed something which I would classify as not intended.
    I was spending my time in a moderated channel (set it to 999 talk power needed) to be in reach for some friends but having nobody else getting on my nerves. I'm learning for my exams and we help us out if there are any problems. But as I tried to whisper I noticed that nobody was talking back to me. After 2 minutes of talking I thought that there had to be some bug preventing them from hearing me as I knew they had been there for the last couple of hours. So I switched channels and whispered again. This time they answered almost immediately so it must be the fault of the moderated status of the channel I had been in. So I tried lowering it until I could speak in the channel, tried whispering again and they could hear me.

So in short this means if you are not able to talk in a moderated channel because you are lacking permissions, your friends you try to whisper to won't hear you speaking. And this although you can see the small bubbles flashing up. So this means either

a) Not being able to speak is intended but the small bubbles to show you are whispering are not functioning properly because they signalize you are talking although you are not.

or

b) Not being able to speak is NOT intended but some error/bug prevents the server from processing your voice to your friends because you are within a moderated channel you are not allowed to speak in.

So what's intended and what's not?

Hi

I can not tell what is intended or not, but i've seen already one thread about this, and i can confirm those events.

In my opinion, i'd say that it is not intended, since people outside the moderated channel can whisper to you. Also, the point in a moderated channel is having a channel where only those who have permissions can talk, therefore, i see no harm in allowing whispers from the inside of that channel.

In sum, i guess that it would be something like whispers ignoring the needed talk power of the channels.

Regards

If client can ignore talk power by whispering, then someone can simply make a whisper list with the channel they wish to talk in, and can talk to everyone when they aren't supposed to.

As far as intended behavior, i too, do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    If client can ignore talk power by whispering, then someone can simply make a whisper list with the channel they wish to talk in, and can talk to everyone when they aren't supposed to.

As far as intended behavior, i too, do not know.
    Yea, you are right...It would have to be something else.

You can still listen to the channel and if you are allowed to join the server with more than one instance you could easily set in one instance to listen and the other to whisper. Or you could use two different profiles to do that. So depending on the server settings you could by-pass this restriction. But never the less, thinking about the whisper list with one client, it surely makes sense to prevent the client from being heard.

This is a really silly situation to be honest.

Also, i did some experiments a while ago and doesn't seem to be a way to block whispers (probably its just not working).

I've set 2 users to one group that had only "i_client_talk_power" set to 50 and "i_client_needed_talk_power" set to 75. They were able to ear each other, both by talking to the channel and whispering.

So, I'd say that there is still some work to be done with the needed talk power and the whispers.

Thread Information